Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard miles vs easy miles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 10:53 PM
ryan9977
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hard miles vs easy miles?

Ok so I'm looking at a police road king....has just over 20 thousand miles...it's a 2012.... I've heard a lot of people says police bikes are road hard....is there really a big difference between hard miles vs easy miles....do u think it's too many miles for a 2012.... I'm calling tomorrow to find out as much info as I can but I'm worried....this is a big purchase and I don't wanna get screwed....any advice would be appreciated

P.s....I already posted on retired police bikes dot com....I just wanted some other opinions...ryan

Old 11-06-2014, 11:03 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Dont know for sure, but one would think that they would follow a rigorous maintenance schedule if for no other reason than the safety of their officers.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:04 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

different pd's take care of their bikes in different ways- some pd's treat them like gold and the officers name may be painted on the bike...pride of ownership.

others are flogged like hertz owned them....used for training, or motor pooled so it one guy notices a fault, maybe it gets reported and fixed, or the officer just picks another unit the next time.

these bikes may idle for long periods of time- the electrical systems may be strained, the clutch and brakes may be used a lot more than we do.
they tend to be used to accel and deccel fast, all the time, not just once in a while.

my 88 FXRP came from the CHP in 1990- it came with a description of defects, and service records. CHP had H-D do all services and all the "safety systems" were new- tires, brakes, lights.
however the clutch went pretty quick and the belt popped off at soon after ( $$$)
( CHP had lawsuits against Kawasaki in the 80's, part of the result was that they no longer did their own repairs- dealers did everything)
I still have it.

some pd's hack off all the cop gear and you are left with cut wiring harnesses etc.

DO NOT BUY LONG DISTANCE, if this is local, hire a tech to look at it with you. you need a practiced eye who has no attachment to the deal.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-06-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:35 PM
Herksuper
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

20k miles for a '12 just means it was ridden. I turned 21K on mine right before I deployed. As for hard ridden, I guess if it was dogged on everday you can classify it as "ridden hard".

Old 11-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 275 Posts

I would be ok with it.... 20K they are mostly parked waiting for speeders! And at that generally well maintained as mentioned above. Police bikes are not ridden hard, with the exception of New York, San Fran, Chicago.... and the like.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:53 AM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Around here you can find 2011 police road kings/ultras with under 15k miles for dirt cheap. Several cities in the area have lease contracts for the bikes, but don't utilize them very much for whatever reason

Old 11-07-2014, 02:03 AM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Donnylee
I would be ok with it.... 20K they are mostly parked waiting for speeders! And at that generally well maintained as mentioned above. Police bikes are not ridden hard, with the exception of New York, San Fran, Chicago.... and the like.
Yep, they spend most of their time around here parked behind a laser gun,hardly ever see one moving...

Old 11-07-2014, 04:52 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

My 2012 RK's got 26K on it + I've got 2 bikes. Don't consider either "road hard".

Old 11-07-2014, 05:45 AM
95 Ultra
Tourer

Every time I walk in the Jackson, Miss. Harley dealer there are usually a couple of cops in there having their police bikes serviced, so they must take pretty good care of them. The used ones I've seen on the showroom floor have been low mileage and in good shape. A friend of mine bought one a few years back and it's been a dependable bike.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:54 AM
Melman
Tourer

I bought my wife a '03 police Road King from a Miami auction with 25,000 miles on it. It came with all the service records and ran perfectly. You can tell these by the "hockey puck" bag latches and the siren and radio control buttons are unique. I still have the controls and light bar (if anyone's interested) because I put it back to the factory look. I was the only one who bid on this bike so I got it soooo cheap.

Quick Reply: Hard miles vs easy miles?