Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle problem Ultra 09

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Tolper
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Throttle problem Ultra 09

I took my 09 Ultra out for ride yesterday, was riding on I-95 down south in heavy traffic when all the sudden I had no throttle. It died on me in the middle of the highway and I was almost run over by a truck!

I managed to get it on the side of the road, engine was idling and throttle handle was spinning freely! I noticed that there was a small gap between the throttle and the frame so when pushing the handle in "left direction" it started working again, but spinning freely when releasing it. I managed to get home by keeping it together with the force of my thumb.

This bike has the electronic throttle control that I am not use to. Do I have to replace something or is it possible to tighten the throttle handle in some way?

Bike has only 8000 miles.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:11 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Did u install anything recently.. Sounds like the grip end isn't seated in the switch housing properly thus causing the tbw to not engage..

Old 03-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Electronic throttle control? Are you saying throttle by electronic wire with no cables? If you have cables it is another problem.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:13 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

the 2008 and newer throttle grip has an internal gear*- the throttle control has a gear which mates to the teeth in the grip.
the gear wheel turns the potentiometer for the Throttle By Wire ( TBW).

so start by looking there.
the potentiometer should be held fast into the bar end ( 2 notches) and the gear wheel should rotate with no slop/ no sticking.
The internal teeth in the grip should be in good shape no wear, no broken teeth

1.) if you are removing the rightside controls, A shim must be used to prevent damage to the brakelight switch- this is detailed in the manual ( in the section on removing the front master cylinder) and pics of this have been posted on the forums for reference.

* some aftermarket grips ( krapkin) had trouble with the gear coming loose and jamming the throttle.
look like this:
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/33/iso-grips

welcome to the forums

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-06-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:15 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

The 09 has fly-by-wire electronic throttle. I don't understand your saying your don't use it. The sensor is located at the end o fthe handlebar, so if your grip is loose and moves away - it will not work. Sounds like the grip is not installed correctly.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:18 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loosening the torx head screws (3 total, sizes 27 and 25) on the switch housing. push throttle grip firmly inward. Leave a tiny gap ~ 1/16", retighten switch housing screws. I use blue loctite on the screws.

You might want to slide the grip all the way out, and examine the gears at the end of the handle bar while you're there.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:19 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

I think he meant he isn't used to having tbw, ie not familiar with it. Not that he doesn't "use" it.. Grammatical error

Old 03-06-2015, 11:23 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by TSheff
The 09 has fly-by-wire electronic throttle. I don't understand your saying your don't use it. The sensor is located at the end o fthe handlebar, so if your grip is loose and moves away - it will not work. Sounds like the grip is not installed correctly.
He's not saying he doesn't use it. He's not use to it. OP loosen up the control housing and the brake perch just a little bit and slide the whole thing to the left about 1/8". The TBW that is stuck in the bar has a gear on the end of it that has to mesh with a gear that's inside your grip. It just isn't seated properly. Once you move the controls to the left a bit, check your throttle and make sure it doesn't bind inside the control housing.

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Old 03-06-2015, 11:25 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SBates08
He's not saying he doesn't use it. He's not use to it.
Beat ya to it bates

Old 03-06-2015, 11:27 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by decencyxdefied
Beat ya to it bates
You have youth on your side.

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Quick Reply: Throttle problem Ultra 09