Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Premium fuel?

pfd161, it used to be that you could just say "run premium", until a few years back when the premium octane rating was dropped in the CA/AZ/NEV area to 91. This was a favor to refineries who would have to go through more gyrations to meet oxygenation requirements and still formulate premium. If premium is 93 where you are, run that. It it's 91 there, run it.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:41 PM
maltezebluez96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gunrunneris absolutely right. We are talking about a buck "if" completely empty....in a pinch we do what we have to but in normal situations .50 cents to a buck seems an awful little price to pay for the better stuff.....I wish more things had that differance between the cheapest to the best......The higher the octane the better as far as I'm concerned,....but what do I know?

I have a 1998 Ford Ranger that has almost 200k miles on her. From jump street I've put the better gas in her and I've had "NO" breakdowns on that little girl....I am hoping to run her tillshe dies. I heard to do this from a very well known television mechanic that explained in detail why higher octanes help engine wear,...I believed him and like I said with zero engine breakdowns I guess you could say the proof is in the pudd'n

I've been laughed at by family members for doing it but I try to call the laughers when thier vickle is in the shop

Good Luck Folks

Old 04-23-2007, 02:57 PM
skinhead
Cruiser

some of you are arguing about the price , but dont you want to run that bike as long as you can w/o probs. think about this , you spent anywhere between 15,000 and 25,000 dollars on a bike , maybe more , and you gonna fuss about $0.20 difference

Old 04-23-2007, 04:50 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

91 is the highest I can find here in ABQ. I always use it. Haven't had a problem, but I can't say that using this octane is the answer. Saw today at the dealer called 'Rocket fuel'. Anyone heard of it or used it? If not, does anyone use any octane boost at all? I know that in my truck I will put some in every three tanks or so. Figuring that it will keep the jets clear and free on blockage. Would this be the same for my harley? I have a carb on my bike, and I have noticed less mpg lately. Although I have only ran three tanks on it since it was down for the winter.
I carry and use Rocket Fuel additive when traveling the Alaska Highway. Most of the remote areas only have regular and you are happy to get it.

Last I checked Rocket Fuel was labeled Not for Use with Catylitic Exhausts. But I had put non-cats on my 06 Ultra so I was OK.

Another thing to watch for is areas where the gas stations jack the octane by using more ethanol. Do not exceed the published limits in your manual. You could damage fuel system components. Not the engine itself, but the pumps, seals, and hoses.

I have also used the HD Fuel Conditioner. Not the Stabil the other stuff.

And I don't worry about the price of good quality high octane fuel to put in my bike. Beats pushing it.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:03 PM
old95
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Texasredneck....Do you have any more info on the company MRO you could provide?

Old 04-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: HogBack

What Chiabate said is worthing readingagain. ELEVATION has a lot to do with what octane you can run. The lower the sea level elevation the higher octane you need. You will experience detonation knockingon 89 octanein Phoenix, Arizona (1500')where it will not cause a problem in Flagstaff, Arizona (7,300) on the same bike, but use 91 if at all possible.

Hogback
I agree with you in regards to elevation, but that's not the only thing that will affect pinging. I've NEVER had any pinging on my bikes, and I've run 87 down here in Phoenix more than once! You might experience pinging, but that doesn't mean every bike will.....just something to keep in mind.

I have 140k miles on my Mercedes malteze, and I typically run 87-89 in it, and havent' had a breakdown yet (had the A/C fail, but that's slightly different!) Now my fingers are crossed since I said that though!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:27 PM
maltezebluez96
Cruiser

LOL...That was funny,...I was thinking the same thing when I said that my Ranger had almost 200k on her and no breakdowns...

Old 04-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Doc
Cruiser

I am somewhat surprised at all the questions about Octain and MPG on the forum. You bought a $20,000 + everything else you spent on extras Harley-Davidson. Spend a little extra on Octain and a little less MPG's to keep it from running lean.

This is not posted to any one person, it is posted to all who bring up MPG and Octain. Just MHO....

Old 04-24-2007, 02:54 PM
firewatch
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have used fitch fuel catalyst in my 2003 ultra since the first tank of gas. no problems with pinging or winter storage.