Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Vision basic tune ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Harley Limited
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Vision basic tune ?

Just installed new head pipes with muffler, A/C, and Power Vision. I have already flashed it with the tune that was put in it from where I purchased it and wanting to do a basic auto tune. When you guys run the basic auto tune, what type of riding do you do? Do you mix your speeds up with single lane, two lane and interstate or just ride as you normally do and it doesn't really matter what type of road you are on?

Old 08-25-2015, 05:39 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,324 Likes on 1,911 Posts

I'm over 100 miles from the nearest Interstate so all my auto tuning is on two lane. I ride as normal but I also mimic conditions like passing and engine braking. You're trying to populate the cells of the VE table at different RPM and MAP values.
This site has a couple videos that can explain it better than I can with a lot less work
http://www.dynojet.com/powervision/p....aspx#ytplayer
Look at Power vision Auto Tune and Advanced Auto Tune videos.
You will really like the way your bike runs once you get it dialed in.
Good Luck

Old 08-25-2015, 06:06 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,708 Likes on 2,689 Posts

Switch the view screen to the green one displaying "hits" and try to turn as many blocks red as possible.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:36 PM
RoadsterGlide
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll get varying opinions on the length of your auto tune sessions. Some have done 2 or 3 30 minute sessions and some longer and/or more frequent. I did a single 2 hour session by taking a favorite Saturday day ride route...it was a good mix of city, 2 lane and interstate. I flashed the tune after 2 hours during the lunch stop. The key is riding it like you normally would and forget you're auto tuning..."set it and forget it." I wanted to optimize my set up for mileage/fuel economy...went from ~37-39 mpg stock to 45 mpg now. I haven't touched the PV since then.

I'm running RC 4" slip-ons and FM pro-billet air cleaner. I'm adding a FM Jackpot header next week, so FM sent me another updated map that I'll auto tune after install.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:11 PM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I run a SESTP however as Vernal said its the VE table so all tuners are applicable, The tables are made up with X axis being throttle position, and y being RPM, so the more combinations you hit the broader your tune (fine tuning) will be. shift through the gears slowly rolling up and down on the throttle, staying in the range for about five seconds, before increasing throttle position. Ain't no curved roads on a Dyno.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:17 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm also using the SEPST and a small Windows 8 tablet for smart tuning. Some ECMs use RPM and throttle position whereas others use RPM and MAP (manifold absolute pressure) which is a better method.

My method is to fill as many boxes as possible, using multiple runs to fill any cells I may have missed in previous runs. The SESPT software will compare tables and as soon as the changes are less than 5% you're pretty much done. After 2-3 runs I was seeing the less than a 5% change. I don't think it was really necessary, but I made 1 more run riding it as I normally would in town and on the highway to fine tune it to how I ride.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:41 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,657 Likes on 5,192 Posts

Don't have to do it all in one run . Just shut the bike off when done riding and open the run back up when you ride again and it keeps going.