Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There might be something to green being bad luck on a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 07:17 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 215 Posts
Default There might be something to green being bad luck on a Harley

Since I painted my bike green, many things have happened:

*Blew a shock bushing -replaced with eBay take offs
*Quick connect on the fuel tank went - replaced with new
*Lower fairing vent pivot points broke (of course not at the same time, so 2 fixes there) replaced with new
*Developed an oil leak (during the fix, broke an oil pan bolt, ended up not being the pan gasket, tried many things until i finally got it -shifter seal) - finally fixed
*Front motor mount split lake a bagel
*Warped brake rotors (all 3)- replaced the rear with new, waiting on the front for funds
* And now a dead battery ---- it's less than 2 years old, it's the old kind that can be topped off with distilled water. It's on the charger now, time will tell if I have to replace

Wonder if the Harley Gods are trying to tell me it's time for a new ride. At least that's what I am telling my wife, LOL

Juse kidding on the green thin, but it has been a tough riding season. I am guessing age and mileage (62K) is catching up with the bike.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:30 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Since I got this bike, I've become rich, more handsome, my hair has grown back thicker and I have my dream job which allows me to get by working 6 months a year and travel all over the Country- and the World

AND I have a great bike that turns heads everywhere I go!

Running through the list of problems- most of them don't apply to my bike...shocks? brake disks???? Quick connect fuel line?

I run a dry cell battery- 6 volt like they put in emergency exit lighting

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-28-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:19 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar

Since I got this bike, I've become rich, more handsome, my hair has grown back thicker and I have my dream job which allows me to get by working 6 months a year and travel all over the Country- and the World

Running through the list of problems- most of them don't apply to my bike...shocks? brake disks???? Quick connect fuel line?

Mike
Dang, NICE!!!

OP, mileage on bikes is like age on us, it does catch up. Or at least that's what I'm told........

Old 08-28-2015, 08:26 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,217 Likes on 2,465 Posts

1Since I got this bike, I've become rich, more handsome, my hair has grown back thicker and I have my dream job which allows me to get by working 6 months a year and travel all over the Country- and the World

Mike
so, can I borrow your bike for the weekend?

Old 08-28-2015, 09:33 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The battery problem is because you chose a lead acid battery if you say you can top it off with water...they don't hold up long. Get an AGM battery , but not from Harley as their batteries have went to crap in the last couple of years.
Think about it this way , you almost have it fixed now.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:20 AM
Lidpro
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a dry cell battery- 6 volt like they put in emergency exit lighting

Mike
My uncle got t-boned twice on green bikes, lived through them luckily. Im a bit supersticius of green on a Harley after hearing that and a lot of stories from other people as well from the MoCo's history with green.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:20 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Tried to tell you. I'm old and the real oldtimers taught me to stay away from green motors.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:48 AM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 224 Posts

I got a green truck & heard that green thing from someone & put as much into it as paid for it. He said it started with NASCAR.

I straightened my rotors with adjustable wrench heard about it on hear, Ran indicator marked low spot. Put steel on each side of one rotor then wrench just enough pull to feel it move, one time on each rotor. Went from .02 inch to .005. Which made a huge improvement. Glad I did as shortly after had cager pull in front of me. That split second of better stopping could of made the difference as it was hair raising almost went down. But bike lost high speed wobble after rotor tweek too.

P.S. at least the cager can see that green

Old 08-29-2015, 08:05 AM
05FLHTC
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya mean everyone don't know about bad luck green...??? NO GREEN HD's LOL!

Old 08-29-2015, 10:05 AM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default There might be something to green being bad luck on a Harley

I've seen some damn good looking green HD bikes...never owned one.

I think everyone is missing the OP's point.... He "MUST" upgrade his bike now since it is green and having issues...lol. Hint hint...;-)

Last edited by houstonhdguy; 08-29-2015 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: There might be something to green being bad luck on a Harley