Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laced wheel, flat tire & Fix-a-flat

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Laced wheel, flat tire & Fix-a-flat

Two weeks ago I was on the way home from work. Exit off the interstate onto the outer belt and I see a Heritage on the side of the road with a flat rear tire and a guy leaning on the guard rail. I pull up behind him to see what I can do to help. Not to stereo-type anyone but this guy is an "experienced" biker based on his apperance. He's spent quite a few years on the road. He's about 150 miles away from home, says it's no good to call for help, all his friends and relatives are too far away. He's about 75 miles from where he's headed that day. I offer to call the closest dealer, about 15 miles down the road. He doesn't seem interested in that idea. He mentions fix-a-flat. Not my idea but it's his motorcycle and I figured I'd do what I could to help.

We were about 7 miles from my house so I rode home and got my truck, air tank and air gauge. I stopped at the Autozone and picked up a can of fix-a-flat and headed back. He put in the fix-a-flat and it aired up the tire about 2/3 full. I gave him the air tank and he put in about 50 psi of air. As he rolled the bike I got down on my hands and knees to try to find the problem. We're on the side of the road with him pushing the bike and I'm crawling along behind, to some that might have looked a bit strange. We made a full turn on the tire once going forward, once backwards and once more forward and I haven't found a leak in the tire or anything sticking in it. It stumped us, seemed to be a flat tire for no reason. He adjusted the air pressure down to normal and got ready to ride. He offered to pay for the fix-a-flat and my time and trouble but I told him to just pay it forward.

He wanted to head on out and see how far he'd make it. I told him I'd follow him down the outer belt until he got off on the next highway, about 30 miles. He took off riding nice and easy being careful. After about 10 miles we run into some evening rush hour traffic. We're in the left lane and he pulls off to the left of the road. I pulled up beside him as traffic has stopped. He says thanks for the help but no need to follow him on anymore, he says the tire feels good. I've been behind him keeping an eye on it and it did look okay. I had given him my cell number and business card. I told him good luck and give me a call if he needed anymore help. I haven't heard from him since.

So, no need to start the laced wheel vs. cast wheel discussion all over again but it appears that if you have tire trouble even with laced wheels a can of fix-a-flat may be worth trying.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:17 PM
old95
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Laced wheel, flat tire & Fix-a-flat

well I carry most everything I think I would need on trips, but after reading that I hope you are around when I have a problem, nice job, & I, like you, always feel , "no thanks, just pay it forward,..

Old 05-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Newhog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of those topics that people always respond to based on what they have read or been told "not experienced", there are 8 or 9 of us in my group with laced wheels and as there is no doubt fix a flat is not as good a choice as a plug in a tubless tire...I can assure you from our own real life experience...it will get you off the side of the rode andhome (In most cases), or at least to some kind of store front that can fix you.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:39 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

It worked for me multiple times on my Sporty and FXR.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Newhog

This is one of those topics that people always respond to based on what they have read or been told "not experienced", there are 8 or 9 of us in my group with laced wheels and as there is no doubt fix a flat is not as good a choice as a plug in a tubless tire...I can assure you from our own real life experience...it will get you off the side of the rode andhome (In most cases), or at least to some kind of store front that can fix you.
So you are saying is DOES work, Newhog? I will get some and carry on our 2K trip this summer just in case, if it does!

Old 05-11-2007, 01:52 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Good info onwhether Fix a flat works or not, but a big PROPS to ya[sm=smiley32.gif] for your above and beyond assistance to this biker and his situation. Way to go![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-11-2007, 02:22 PM
harleyplay
Intermediate

Sounds like the guy had something puncture his tire/tube but not stay in the tire. The fix-a-flat filled the hole in the tube and didn't make it out the hole in the tire.

I've put in "ride-on" in both front and rear tires on my RKC. I don't think I've punctured a tube/tire since but I've not had any problems like poor balance.

Just one more thing ... I've just been doing this Harley thing for a year now and I'm continuously amazed by the willingness of total strangers to help out when needed. You are a great soul ... thanks for putting some good into the world.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:42 PM
392heminut
Road Captain

In 22 years of riding my old FLH with spoked rims I've had to use fix-a-flat several times. The only time it didn't get me home was when we stopped at a rest area 25 miles after putting it in. When we went to leave the tire was flat again. Found out after getting home and pulling the tube out that the seam in the tube had split almost an inch, there was no puncture! Apparently as long as I kept the tire rolling the fix-a-flat kept the tear covered and kept the air from leaking out. I have always kept 2 cans wrapped in an old towel in the bottom of the saddlebag of that bike. I ordered my Ultra with alloy wheels and just carry a plug kit and CO2 cartridges in it.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Newhog
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Hdbiker1450

ORIGINAL: Newhog

So you are saying is DOES work, Newhog? I will get some and carry on our 2K trip this summer just in case, if it does!
Yes, I am saying it will get you to a safe place for repair. I don't think I would try to finish a two hundred mile day on it, but then on the other hand I wouldnt want to do that on a plugged tire either...especially the front.

Good feedback here guys...thanks to everyone on the reports.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:43 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Good for you Neckball. Karma. You have something good ahead of you.

Quick Reply: Laced wheel, flat tire & Fix-a-flat