Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensator Issue on 2007-2010 Touring Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 11:50 AM
OPDSam30
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Compensator Issue on 2007-2010 Touring Bikes

I've read about some issues regarding the compensator on 2007 through 2010 touring bikes. My buddy was doing some primary work on a 2009 Ultra when he came across a start/shut down clank. After some research, he determined it was probably due to a bad compensator.

He called HD to order a new compensator and was told he had to buy the "Screaming Eagle" compensator ($409.95) as the standard compensator, which is less expensive, was now obsolete.

What the heck is that all about??? Now keep in mind, I'm not a wrencher by any sense of the term. I can do my own services and accessory upgrades to a certain point but anything more than that I go to my buddy Russ.

That being said, I'm wondering if faulty compensators on 2007-2010 touring bikes could be causing all the primary issues working their way back that not only I have encountered on my 2008 Street Glide (20,000 miles), but on many other touring bikes that have the upgraded self adjusting primary chain tensioner on 2007 and up touring bikes.

My bike had about 20,000 miles on it when I encountered a primary issue and a worn race bearing. This caused quite a bit of damage to my primary but by the grace of God, my transmission was spared. I upgraded to the Hayden tensioner, which I absolutely love.

I don't have the start/shut down clank Russ talked about but I do believe in preventive maintenance and or upgrades.

So I'm thinking about just upgrading my compensator before I encounter any issue. I don't mind spending the bucks on something like this if a I have to.

I would appreciate any comments on this topic including those that will ease my concern or talk me out of it.

Thanx,

OPDSam30

Old 03-14-2016, 12:17 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently installed a Baker compensator at 40,000 miles after the original was replaced at 20,000 miles with the same Harley standard compensator. The original compensator(s) clanked on start-up and shutdown. I too found the main shaft bearing and race damaged when installing the Baker unit. I installed a new Harley automatic chain tensioner for $100. I was tempted to get the Baker unit for $200.00 but was advised that it would be a hassle having to open up the primary every 3 to 5K miles to adjust the tensioner. So, I hope my being cheap and lazy about the tensioner doesn't prove to be a mistake. After a few thousand miles things have been great with the Baker unit and I can easily find neutral again.....yippeeeee!

Old 03-14-2016, 12:46 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

I had the stock compensator replaced on my 09 ultra classic last summer under warranty. The bike had 96,000 miles. They told me that the original compensator isn't made anymore and they are now being replaced with the screamin eagle compensator.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:47 PM
OPDSam30
Cruiser

Thats good news HOG, I went with the Hayden because it adjusts up and down with no maintenance required. Some say the primary chain is as tight as a banjo string and you hear a God awful "Whirling" sound. Yes, the chain is tight but within specs. I personally don't hear any sound so I guess that's a good thing.

Thnx for the response Hog

Old 03-14-2016, 01:38 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGNOT
I recently installed a Baker compensator at 40,000 miles after the original was replaced at 20,000 miles with the same Harley standard compensator. The original compensator(s) clanked on start-up and shutdown. I too found the main shaft bearing and race damaged when installing the Baker unit. I installed a new Harley automatic chain tensioner for $100. I was tempted to get the Baker unit for $200.00 but was advised that it would be a hassle having to open up the primary every 3 to 5K miles to adjust the tensioner. So, I hope my being cheap and lazy about the tensioner doesn't prove to be a mistake. After a few thousand miles things have been great with the Baker unit and I can easily find neutral again.....yippeeeee!
Hognot, If I'm not mistaken the 2009 came with the self adjusting tensioner? Did someone remove yours initially?

Old 03-14-2016, 03:15 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by OPDSam30

He called HD to order a new compensator and was told he had to buy the "Screaming Eagle" compensator ($409.95) as the standard compensator, which is less expensive, was now obsolete.
SE Comp kit: $327.00
http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline....sator-40100061

These retro kits require an adhesive kit to glue the oil diverter on the primary cover, but a lot of people just use JB Weld. It's tougher and way cheaper.

Originally Posted by OPDSam30

So I'm thinking about just upgrading my compensator before I encounter any issue. I don't mind spending the bucks on something like this if a I have to.
If you don't have any clunking, vibration, or starting issues you really don't need it right away, but changing it out though may save your starter clutch in the future.

Last edited by lp; 03-14-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:02 PM
OPDSam30
Cruiser

I've already replaced the starter clutch about 15,000 miles ago.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:16 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

There are so many stories about compensators, banging, going going gone IPBs, and chain tensioners, there ought to be a "Inside the Primary" forum.

I changed the stock compensator out of my 2010 Limited with the Screamin Eagle. My stock compensator was just fine, no issues. But I read so many damn problem threads on this forum that I, as you, decided that "forewarned is forearmed". So I installed the SE unit. It's still in there and there's no issues.

I also use the Baker Attitude adjuster, after going through all of the chain tensioner "over-tightening" threads, removing the stock auto-tensioner, replacing it with a Hayden, and then removing the Hayden (too too tight) and installing the Baker (solid as a rock now with perfect tensioning).

I still have my stock 2010 compensator in a box. It's perfectly functional with only about 7000 miles on it. The Hayden is sitting on a shelf too.

I say change yours out if it will give you peace of mind. It does not take long to do. But do use a good torque wrench,not a $35 Chinese piece of crap, a new compensator bolt, and red locktite on the bolt. Torque to spec and don't start the bike for about 24 hours while the locktite cures. Then you will be good to go with good primary oil filled to the bottom of the clutch plates.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:24 PM
OPDSam30
Cruiser

Thnx Low. Real good advice. As for the Hayden, I have close to 1000 miles on it. I'm going to change out the fluid and check the drain plug magnet to see if I have any thing going on in there. I too read some of the love'em hate'em reviews with regard to the Hayden. I'm just not having those issues. I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones.

Thnx for the reposnse.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:40 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I would not waste my time or money on an SE compensator (on my third one and it is going) now that Baker has their's out. I hear the newer auto tensioners are holding up? Tried the Hayden but it was pretty tight. I had my stock '09 one welded in place and it is working fine. Real answer again is Baker.

Quick Reply: Compensator Issue on 2007-2010 Touring Bikes