Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Premium oil cooler install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Premium oil cooler install?

For those that have done the new Premium oil cooler install on a touring bike is it easy? Are there any things to watch for? Any leaks after the install? I'm just looking for any advice on the install before I decide to do it my self. Thanks!!

Old 05-18-2007, 11:50 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HD Premium oil cooler install?

the instructions i got with mine were pretty good, but the instructions about the wire clamps around the regulator were wrong, and apparently for an older version. just be sure that the wires aren't pinched when you remount the regulator. you will probably not have an allen wrench big enough to put the new oil filter adaptor on. if memory serves me right, it is a 5/16" which is pretty big for an allen wrench. if finally found one at a tool supply store. someone recommended just using a bolt with a 5/16" head and double-nutting it, and then using a torque wrench to install.

it ain't that tough, just a little confining on space to work in. don't overtighten the hose clamps, that was my biggest fear. i also carry a spare set of clamps, but HD doesn't sell the pre-formed hoses separately.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/DC3F9EADA45344BBB858FE54B7DC1626.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-18-2007, 11:55 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

also, the chrome regulator covers sold by HD and Kuryakyn don't fit. HD lists the coolers #s that the regulator doesn't fit, and the nesw premium cooler # is not one of those listed as not fitting. even though it is not one of the ones listed as not fitting, it still doesn't. the cooler hoses are in the way.

the Kury cover for the RKs looks like it ought to fit, but it also doesn't, since the new bolts holding it down interfere with the cooler hoses. Don't ask me how i know.

Best i can tell, the only way to get any chrome on the regulator, is to buy a chrome regulator - NOT!

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/E46F59271A304ECA8B9FACC3F928565D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

Where are youlocated - do you really need an oil cooler? It's been VERY difficult to get my oil temp over 210 deg F this season so far with temps in the low 80's without an oil cooler. Here in Penna, I feel an oil cooler might do more harm than good.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:47 PM
schoney
Tourer

Is the oil cooler your talking about the one that fits between the cooler and motor? If so, could you keep my posted on how much cooler it runs. I live in the middle of the desert and have been thinking about one. Thanx in advance.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain

I'm in Dallas Tx and have been seeing oil temps in the 228 to 230 range in 90deg heat. I seen 244 deg after running 80 to 85 for 90 miles at a time this weekend and would love to bring that down to 200 or 210. Around town at the posted speed limit I usually see temps in the 220 range.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

Sounds like an oil cooler might very well benefit you - I do recommend it in your case - get the one that has the thermostat built in, if possible. Not a really difficult installation,I understand.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:53 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: gman

the instructions i got with mine were pretty good, but the instructions about the wire clamps around the regulator were wrong, and apparently for an older version. just be sure that the wires aren't pinched when you remount the regulator. you will probably not have an allen wrench big enough to put the new oil filter adaptor on. if memory serves me right, it is a 5/16" which is pretty big for an allen wrench. if finally found one at a tool supply store. someone recommended just using a bolt with a 5/16" head and double-nutting it, and then using a torque wrench to install.
Actually, that Allen size is 7/16" or 11mm, which is very oddball, and I've never seen an Allen kit with a wrench that size included. Like you, I rigged something up similar to what you described, but anyone installing this kit should be prepared for this ahead of time. I think HD throws curves like this to discourage us from doing our own work. Otherwise, why would they use such an oddball configuration?

Old 05-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Roadking 360
Novice

Install is pretty straight forward, I have had no issues with leaks. Make sure all the pieces are tightened together, especially the chrome hose barbs into the filter housing bracket (I forgot to tighten those). Because it's all chrome I overlooked it, probably thought it was all one piece.

While you are doing the install consider a LeNale Oil cooler fan setup. I have their kit #628-06 which replaces the H~D chrome oil cooler cover. Their fan kit is attached to the same oil cooler cover, is also chromed and has a clean look to the overall installation. The oil cooler cover is provided in the kit, so don't buy one if you get the kit. You can wire the fans to an unused switch on the Roadking (nacelle left side). The LeNale fans (2, in tandem) move the air at 75 CFM which is supposed to be equivalent to moving at 35 MPH. Another added benefit is there is a particle screen in front of the cooler fans so any gravel or road debris doesn't hit the cooler fins. You can find the LeNale fans on eBay but be aware the newer style kit #HD 629-06 doesn't look quite as good IMO.

2004 RKC
Bremerton, WA