Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made a promiss...Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:48 PM
A Whole lotta Rosey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Made a promiss...Sturgis

Brothers, My son is turning 21 this summer and for the past three summers he has asked me to take him to Sturgis for his present. We'll be riding out from New Mexico and are borrowing a friends RV once we get there.

Wanted him to get the "full/crazy" experience (I don't know if I can still keep up... But I'm as good once as I ever was.) Anyway was deciding between Glenco and the Chip. Leaning toward the Chip.

Looking for any advice regarding the two campgrounds.

And any advice as to where to stay at the Chip (the place is huge). They have several different sections Are some better than others.

Thanks all,

The following users liked this post:
Hazzardousmat (05-25-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 09:51 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Chip. You never really have to leave except to ride.

Stay in the back with the RVs. Still get to concerts, not difficult to get out and shorter shower lines

The following users liked this post:
A Whole lotta Rosey (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 09:55 PM
A Whole lotta Rosey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bigsky Thanks

This is the kind of information I needed. Thanks. I was leaning toward the Chip / staying in the back (shooting range) / renting a golf cart. Thanks so much.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:30 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I stay at Lamphere Ranch adjacent to Glencoe. Glencoe is famous for some raging parties. Both of those campgrounds are centrally located and have Da Bus that can take you to the Chip for concerts if you need to. They also have lot's of shade trees which can help a lot out there. You can ride down the dirt road to the Beaver Bar and not worry about a DUI coming back.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:54 PM
Jackhole48
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have not been as an adult, but I can tell you my dad took me to Sturgis when I was 14 years old. We camped at Glencoe and the events and things that I saw there have been permanently etched into my brain ever since! It was an amazing experience that I will never forget. Wherever you stay, enjoy the time with your son!

Old 05-25-2016, 07:59 AM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by A Whole lotta Rosey
Brothers, My son is turning 21 this summer and for the past three summers he has asked me to take him to Sturgis for his present. We'll be riding out from New Mexico and are borrowing a friends RV once we get there.

Wanted him to get the "full/crazy" experience (I don't know if I can still keep up... But I'm as good once as I ever was.) Anyway was deciding between Glenco and the Chip. Leaning toward the Chip.

Looking for any advice regarding the two campgrounds.

And any advice as to where to stay at the Chip (the place is huge). They have several different sections Are some better than others.

Thanks all,
Please take lots of pics while your there. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see pics.
I have never been, but its on my bucket list. This year I'm going back to the Dragon with a brother that has never been and I'm hoping to ride the Snake too this year.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:30 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

if you want the full not-able-to-sleep-due-to-party experience, def stay at the Chip. No shade there though.

Glencoe is good and has shade...Lamphere def quieter and cheaper.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:05 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Brothers, My son is turning 21 this summer and for the past three summers he has asked me to take him to Sturgis for his present.
never been to Sturgis during the rally (don't do crowds), so can't help you there, but this first sentence caught my eye. I was ripped, I didn't get anything for turning 21

enjoy the trip with your son. sounds like you'll both have some memories for life. and like another poster said, take lots of pictures!

Old 05-26-2016, 05:57 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
never been to Sturgis during the rally (don't do crowds), so can't help you there, but this first sentence caught my eye. I was ripped, I didn't get anything for turning 21
I'm considerably past the ripe young years of 21 and I've stayed at the Chip a number of times and I haven't got anything yet........

STD

Old 05-26-2016, 10:23 AM
1CoolZ71
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like Glencoe and am staying there again this year.

Chip charges you for special parking if you pull a trailer behind your RV and charges way more for a RV site too.

Glencoe allows you to keep whatever you brought, as long as it fits on your site.
I have the RV, an enclosed trailer, two bikes and a golf cart on my site. All for the same $520 price. $420 for 30 amp site.

Chip is nearly $600 for a site plus extra $50 for the trailer. Your trailer can't be on your site either. Not sure if the allow or charge extra to bring golf carts.

Glencoe is quieter for sleeping on a rough night and of course the PERVERT PARADE is always fun every evening.
Beaver bar is at the end of the driveway and there's 2 other bars on site.

Last edited by 1CoolZ71; 05-26-2016 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Made a promiss...Sturgis