Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger "Wobble"

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bagger "Wobble"

I have seen this subject discussed on other posts here. I can't say I still understand the issue completely.

Irode my Road King with the removable fairing from LA to Pismo Beach yesterday. North of Santa Barbara, on Highway 101, you can open it up quite a bit. I was cruising at 85-90 mph and my front end stated to shimmy, shake, wobble or whatever the correct term is. AlthoughI never felt as if I was going to lose control of the bike it was quite violent and uncomfortable. It seemed to pick up a harmonic vibration that fed on itself and would increase in intensity to where I would lose contol ifI did not back off. Interestingly enough ifI backed off, say to 70, it would continue to wobble but as soon asI gave it some more throttle and went back up to 75 the wobbling stopped. The bike has only 10,000 mi on it and has been recently serviced by an independent technician who I consider above average so I don't believeI have any exessive wear or maintenance issues. I don't believe it is caused bythe removable fairing as I have an 07 Ultra and can run all day at that speed with no issues.

My question is does this sound likea problem that would be solved by the Alloy Art's Touring XR Stabilizer or similar product? Or is it possibly an aligmnment ora front fork bearingproblem?

Old 05-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts
Default RE: Bagger "Wobble"

Eddie -

The problem you are describing does not sound like the rear steer that the Alloy Art, True-Track, Ride Str8 products are designed to improve. Your experience sounds more like a front tire, wheel bearing, or steering head problem.

Even though you only have 10K on it, and you indy just serviced it, I would check everything up front.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:10 PM
steadyflow
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might check the air psi in your tires, i ride an 03 ultra classic it does the same thing if i max the psi out (42psi avon road runner front and back) i can drop psi to 35psi in the back and 28psi up front and it stops the woble boble. Good Luck.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Eddie - I was just remembering a previous post where I think you indicated you had an air ride system along with a shock lowering kit. It's possible that rear suspension has been lowered to the point the rake has changed. It would be most noticeable at higher speeds. Maybe you could try raising the rear suspension and making another high speed run to see if it makes a difference. Just another thought.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:50 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Eddie

Do you have wheel weights on your wheels?

Second post I've read in two days regarding "wobble" and I am beginning to worry a bit as I don't have weights on my wheels, but haven't ridden it yet..[] I hope I don't have any problems after spending all this money on my bike to make it look decent but having it ride like sh!te![:@]

Old 05-21-2007, 12:00 AM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1349385/tm.htm

There is some good discussion on the abovethread. My explanation of the dynamic is thru a trike reinforcment failure, but should help explain the dymanic involved. This subject for some is like taxes and religion; all BS. For others, not so much. Think about it, then rationally decide for your self. Straight line speed is 'not' the issue with Tank Slapper, Wobble, whatever.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17522/286DEB9E5A4447B89D111F55C025597A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-21-2007, 12:12 AM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eddie what your probably expieriencing is the front end was set up without the removable fairing and now with the extra weight the front end is essentially loose. The front end swing needs to be set with the fairing on, spec is three swings but I like to set my own bikes up with justunder two. If the front end swings three w/o the fairing the extra weight could be up tofive or six, which would cause the high speed wobble.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:40 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the front end swing, hogdoc? Clue this new guy in.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:56 AM
Dago_RoadKing
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Fast Eddie

I have seen this subject discussed on other posts here. I can't say I still understand the issue completely.

Irode my Road King with the removable fairing from LA to Pismo Beach yesterday. North of Santa Barbara, on Highway 101, you can open it up quite a bit. I was cruising at 85-90 mph and my front end stated to shimmy, shake, wobble or whatever the correct term is. AlthoughI never felt as if I was going to lose control of the bike it was quite violent and uncomfortable. It seemed to pick up a harmonic vibration that fed on itself and would increase in intensity to where I would lose contol ifI did not back off. Interestingly enough ifI backed off, say to 70, it would continue to wobble but as soon asI gave it some more throttle and went back up to 75 the wobbling stopped. The bike has only 10,000 mi on it and has been recently serviced by an independent technician who I consider above average so I don't believeI have any exessive wear or maintenance issues. I don't believe it is caused bythe removable fairing as I have an 07 Ultra and can run all day at that speed with no issues.

My question is does this sound likea problem that would be solved by the Alloy Art's Touring XR Stabilizer or similar product? Or is it possibly an aligmnment ora front fork bearingproblem?

What size rear wheel/tire combo are you running. That could be the culprit. Looks pretty low so I assume it's stock. If so then disreguard my post.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:41 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

I had the wobble on mine when I first rebuilt it and then did the following before putting a brace on or going with similar...

I measured the rear wheel in the swingarm on both sides, (it was lined up fine). Measured from the front axle to the rear axle on both sides and was off almost 1/8".
Replaced the front motor mount (that was worn) with a new one and set the turnbuckle to the correct length to get the bike "square" from the front axleto the rear axle on both sides.Replaced the top engine turnbuckle and adjusted that to ensure the engine was in the correct vertical plane, that turnbuckle was worn as well. All of these steps are outlinedin the factory manual. Then topped off the tires to 38psi front and rear. Since then, I have had no more wobbles for the past 12k.

Quick Reply: Bagger "Wobble"