Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong barrel key used

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 10:25 AM
Speleo
Road Captain

Received 453 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Wrong barrel key used

My son locked up my bike, using the wrong barrel key in the ignition switch. Initially it locked, and the key would not turn nor could it be removed. Got the switch to turn to the on and acc. position, but key will not turn in the lock assembly to be removed. This key in particular, is for the tour pack lock that was purchased after the bike. They look very similar, but not close enough apparently. The cylinder will not turn, to allow removal of the whole assembly. Am I the only dumass with a problem like this?
Thanks,
Speleo

Old 07-17-2016, 12:30 PM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Well now is the time to get everything keyed alike as you probably have a damaged ignition lock.
Not the end of the world but you probably need to get your dealer involved.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:01 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you can ride it or remove the switch, (easy enough) a "real" locksmith should be able to remove the key without damaging anything thus saving the switch housing. As a budding smithy myself, I see no reason why it would be held in the switch for any reason, unless for the rare reason the key is out of alignment with the pins. Squirt some Tri-Flow into it and jiggle it aroud a bunch. You might be good.
If you extract the key and the switch is out of alignment, (can't use the correct key) you can grind off the tip of a spare key and insert it into the lock aligning the pins from your key to how they are situated in the assembly, and correct the timing of the tumblers. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

BOB

Old 07-17-2016, 04:55 PM
head
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I did the same thing with my 06 RK about a year ago. Accidentally put my added saddlebag key in my ignition. It allowed the switch to work but then the original key wouldn't fit right. Then the whole cylinder pulled up out of the ignition switch. I could/should have called a locksmith to key them all together. I just decided to get a new ignition switch and have the black cover on one key and not the other.

Head

Old 07-17-2016, 06:41 PM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior
Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

Barrel key ignition switches in Harley's don't last forever. I replaced my main key with an aftermarket when it went bad for the second time. First time I had to pull the fork to change the fork lock too. Easier to carry two keys.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:05 PM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Tour pac lock is $29 keyed alike to the bike from HD

Old 07-20-2016, 12:55 AM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Speleo
My son locked up my bike, using the wrong barrel key in the ignition switch. Initially it locked, and the key would not turn nor could it be removed. Got the switch to turn to the on and acc. position, but key will not turn in the lock assembly to be removed. This key in particular, is for the tour pack lock that was purchased after the bike. They look very similar, but not close enough apparently. The cylinder will not turn, to allow removal of the whole assembly. Am I the only dumass with a problem like this?
Thanks,
Speleo
No, there are other dumb asses around who've done the same thing. I inserted a barrel key from my lockable lower compartments into the ignition switch while the handle bar lock was engaged, and unknowingly turned it until it was jammed in the switch. There I was in the parking lot at Lowe's with my handle bars locked up and a key stuck tightly in the ignition (adding to my pleasure was a highly pissed off wife). I went back into Lowes and bought a pair of channel locks and used brute force to turn the key/switch enough to release the handle bar lock while completely ruining the switch in the process. After overpowering the switch, I was able to start the bike and make it home. That little mishap cost me $150 to replace the ignition switch with my key code. Bet your *** I marked the keys to my lowers compartments to prevent a reoccurrence.