Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Reception

Old 08-04-2016, 02:37 PM
mjonesjr84
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Radio Reception

To those guys/gals who live 30+ miles away from a major city, how is your radio reception with the HD Boom Hidden Antenna?

I've got an aftermarket shorty antenna on my '08 Ultra right now and reception sucks until I get within 15-20 miles of say Louisville, KY. I'd like to get decent reception at home (Salem, IN). I've installed Sirius/XM on my bike, but I still like to listen to the local stations. I'd prefer not to put the OEM antenna back on the bike.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:14 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Hidden antennae simply put; sucks. Had one and took it off immediately. The shorty is way better than the hidden arrangement. There is a shorty I bought on line, I can't find the site at the moment, it's book marked in my old computer but this particular antennae was better than stock. If I find it I'll let you know.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:19 PM
anothernewb
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 100 Posts

Had a similar issue, had the boom shortys on the bike. sucked. traded someone for the 09+ style - a lot shorter than the older ones, and much much better reception.

Also cleaned/scuffed the contacts, and used dilectric grease. helped notably with the shortys.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:17 PM
mjonesjr84
Tourer

I think I've figured the problem. I took the very solid short antenna off my bike and learned that the contacts were not screwed into each other. Once I screwed them in, the radio had better reception. I think the short antenna I have is NOT the HD version. It is a solid antenna. The reception is better without the short antenna than with it.

I'm going to pickup the short HD Boom antenna tomorrow and see how that works. I will post results tomorrow.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:20 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by mjonesjr84
I think I've figured the problem. I took the very solid short antenna off my bike and learned that the contacts were not screwed into each other. Once I screwed them in, the radio had better reception. I think the short antenna I have is NOT the HD version. It is a solid antenna. The reception is better without the short antenna than with it.

I'm going to pickup the short HD Boom antenna tomorrow and see how that works. I will post results tomorrow.
I just removed a powered hidden Harley antenna from my serg. I don't use fm, at all. If anyone wants it, pay the shipping on it and it's yours.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:25 PM
mjonesjr84
Tourer

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
I just removed a powered hidden Harley antenna from my serg. I don't use fm, at all. If anyone wants it, pay the shipping on it and it's yours.
Where are you located and how did it work on your bike?

Old 08-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member

Where are you located and how did it work on your bike?
I'm in Calcutta OH.
I honestly never used the FM radio since I bought the bike in March. Factory radio or the 2 aftermarket radios I've had in it. I kept hooking the antenna back up thinking, just in case I decide to ever use it. I don't and decided I won't. Some of the amps interfere with reception too. I'm going to be upgrading my upgraded upgrade soon. Let me know if you want to try it out.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member

I'm in Calcutta OH.
I honestly never used the FM radio since I bought the bike in March. Factory radio or the 2 aftermarket radios I've had in it. I kept hooking the antenna back up thinking, just in case I decide to ever use it. I don't and decided I won't. Some of the amps interfere with reception too. I'm going to be upgrading my upgraded upgrade soon. Let me know if you want to try it out.
I take that back. In the dealership I cranked the radio up. It was tuned to a classic rock station. Came in clear, but that's the only time I remember trying it.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:54 PM
mjonesjr84
Tourer

I take that back. In the dealership I cranked the radio up. It was tuned to a classic rock station. Came in clear, but that's the only time I remember trying it.
I picked up the shorty antenna to try today. I found the contacts were not screwed together in the antenna mount. Let me see how it works this weekend and I may get that fairing mounted antenna from you.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member

I picked up the shorty antenna to try today. I found the contacts were not screwed together in the antenna mount. Let me see how it works this weekend and I may get that fairing mounted antenna from you.
No problem. I had an HD shorty on my Electra Glide. It worked well enough. I'm between Cleveland (2 hrs) and Pittsburgh (1 hr). I could pick up Pittsburgh stations and some an hour or so north of me. I bet it will work pretty well.

The following users liked this post:
mjonesjr84 (08-05-2016)