Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Antenna Comparison...

Old 08-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Sodiee
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post My Antenna Comparison...

I was trying to find a good antenna for my 08 Street Glide so I decided to compare some of the antennas that I have.I had the Tune Trapper in my fairing but it didn't work to my satisfaction.I live at least 40 miles form any radio station so reception is very important for me.I don't know how accurate or technical this test was but it's the only way that I could come up with to see what works best.I installed each antenna and then hit my Search button on my radio to see how many FM stations each antenna would lock on to.Here's what I came up with:

H-D stock antenna(32 3/4") picked up 24 stations.

21" metal antenna picked up 18 stations (I purchased this antenna from my local H-D dealership.I cant' remember who makes it but it's not H-D.)

H-D shorty AM/FM antenna(18 3/4" part #76388-08) picked up 10 stations.

14" Rubber antenna picked up 4 stations

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=Antennas.jpg
In the photo above,the antennas are(from left to right) H-D stock(32 3/4"),21" metal,H-D Shorty(18 3/4"),14" rubber.

I like how clean my bike looks without an antenna but I'm going to stick with my stock antenna.I will have to use a shorter antenna when I have my back bag(Kuryakyn) on.I hope this helps anyone who wants decent radio reception!

Last edited by Sodiee; 08-24-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Mars
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's actually a decent test. thx. I am thinking of replacing my OEM 08 sntennas (the long ones) with the OEM 09 antennas (a bit shorter) because they hit the garage door when I ride in.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Mike7111
4th Gear

I was also MARS...my antenae's also grab on the garrage door, and yes the ball on top does pop off, twice, only to be found and siliconed back on. Let us know how the 09's do.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:53 PM
HRLYSG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice comparison photo and info. Looks like I'll be sticking with the stock antenna for awhile.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:04 PM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hidden Fairing Antenna

I had the dealer install the detachable docking points on my bike before it was delivered. When I went to pick it up the antenna was gone!! The rear docking hardware needed the hole that the antenna was in so they took it off an installed the fairing antenna. They charged around $80 for it. So far it seems to work great. I mostly listen to MP3s but occasionally use the radio and it picks up all the stations that I have preset plus the weather band. Looks really good too! Just something for you to consider.

Last edited by hawg08; 08-24-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-24-2008, 05:21 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have been debating on getting the H-D shorty AM/FM antenna(18 3/4" part #76388-08) so I guess I'll pass. I like the reception of my whips and don't want to compromise this.

Thanks

Old 08-24-2008, 05:25 PM
texas steve
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hawg08
I had the dealer install the detachable docking points on my bike before it was delivered. When I went to pick it up the antenna was gone!! The rear docking hardware need the hole that the antenna was in so they took it off an intalled the fairing antenna. They charged around $80 for it. So far it seems to work great. I mostly listen to MP3s but occasionally use the radio and it picks up all the stations that I have preset plus the weather band. Looks really good too! Just something for you to consider.

Tom - whats that inbetween your gauges? Looks like a emblem of some kind. By the way I have the same windshield, realy like them.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Superglide 04
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sodiee
I was trying to find a good antenna for my 08 Street Glide so I decided to compare some of the antennas that I have.I had the Tune Trapper in my fairing but it didn't work to my satisfaction.I live at least 40 miles form any radio station so reception is very important for me.I don't know how accurate or technical this test was but it's the only way that I could come up with to see what works best.I installed each antenna and then hit my Search button on my radio to see how many FM stations each antenna would lock on to.Here's what I came up with:

H-D stock antenna(32 3/4") picked up 24 stations.

21" metal antenna picked up 18 stations (I purchased this antenna from my local H-D dealership.I cant' remember who makes it but it's not H-D.)

H-D shorty AM/FM antenna(18 3/4" part #76388-08) picked up 10 stations.

14" Rubber antenna picked up 4 stations

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=Antennas.jpg
In the photo above,the antennas are(from left to right) H-D stock(32 3/4"),21" metal,H-D Shorty,14" rubber.

I like how clean my bike looks without an antenna but I'm going to stick with my stock antenna.I will have to use a shorter antenna when I have my back bag(Kuryakyn) on.I hope this helps anyone who wants decent radio reception!
You mention you have a tune trapper but didn't say how that compares to the others.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:35 PM
hotshot
Tourer

I bought the J&M antenna's and happy with the choice. No real test done, but the reception is almost the same as the full size HD antenna, maybe a little bit off from the original, but not enough to matter.

The CB antenna works well, can tell no difference at the ranges we use it.

Last edited by hotshot; 08-24-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Sodiee
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Superglide 04
You mention you have a tune trapper but didn't say how that compares to the others.
It didn't compare the Tune Trapper because i did not have my fairing off.I still have it installed in my fairing I just don't have it hooked up.I'll check it next time I have it off.I would guess it will pick up about as good as the H-D shorty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Antenna Comparison...