Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 06:56 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,918 Likes on 17,474 Posts
Question Question about brake pads

Have a friend with a 2013 SG CVO looking at Lyndall brake pads but has no clue which type to buy and not inclined to dealer stuff or pricing anymore, stock calipers and rotors and he's a pretty aggressive rider he works the bike and those brakes . Suggestions I can pass on ? Have my preference but bike styles are very different and don't want to steer him wrong.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:15 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

I've used the gold lyndall pads. They worked great and last much longer than the OEM pads but.... my indy told me that something has to wear. If it's not the pads than it's the rotor. He put OEM pads on it and told me next time I'd probably need a new rotor.

The Lyndalls did seem to perform better than the OEM and definitely lasted longer. But you are going to have to weigh the cost of a rotor later against the minor improvement in performance.

Having said that, I ride every day and have 117,000 miles on the original rotor. If you don't ride much or tour ( no braking on the interstate ) , get the Lyndals and screw the rotor.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:15 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

I bought lyndal pads for mine because of being"dust free". To be honest I seen zero difference from the stock pads. Just as much dust and stopped the same. I've bought generic pads off amazon already and was just as happy as any other brake pad.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:14 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

My 883 was scary at 10,000 miles (about what it had when I got it), especially two up, thought I'd have to get dual disks to stop well. Put EBC pads on it, and it stops great. Don't know what pads my 1200 had when I got it, but put Lyndall Golds on it, and they were a big improvement, like those, too, at least as good as the EBC pads I've used. I've used EBC on a couple metrics and was happy with them, too. He can order either brand from an online store like motorcycle-superstore.com or DennisKirk cheaper than dealer prices, but they're still not budget pads - but I sure wouldn't recommend cheap crap on a Harley.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:15 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

I run the Lyndall Z+ pads (red packaging), because they eliminated the rear brake SQUEEK on my 15 SG. Also use them on my 2002 883R. 100% satisfied.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:33 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am amazed at how quickly the OEM pads on my 2012 RGU wore out. With less than 20,000 miles on my bike, just before we were leaving on a 3,000 mile trip I thought I heard a strange noise from my rear end. Thought it might be low pressure in the rear tire so I pulled over and took off a saddlebag to check the pressure. Touched the rotor and is was searing hot. Went straight home and saw that the rotor was badly scoured. Thought there might be something caught in the pad. The next day I put it on the lift and started to take off the caliper to check the pads. Much to my surprise the pads were worn all the way through and most of the way through the backing plates which were eating up the rotor. This was with less than 20,000 mile, I am not a real aggressive rider, and probably 16,000 to 17,000 of the miles was on road trips. I had never really heard anything or noticed a big change in braking either. I have quiet pipes so I was really surprised by all this.

In any case I ended up buying a new rotor, a new caliper (the Pistons were so far out that one was binding, and new pads. When I bought the parts my buddy at the parts department recommended that I also replace the front pads. When I pulled off the front calipers I saw that there was very little pad left on the front too, so I did replace them. I did use the OEM pads as I got a great deal on them.

On my old RKC (2001) I have over 55,000 miles and have changed the pads once.

So with the Brembo brakes, and particularly with OEM pads, keep a close eye on them and plan on replacing them at 15,000 miles or so. Just my experience.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:27 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Old 09-28-2016, 09:32 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
I am amazed at how quickly the OEM pads on my 2012 RGU wore out. With less than 20,000 miles on my bike
Rears on my '15 Limited Low went metal to metal under 15k

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
EBC as good as they get, good price.
https://www.amazon.com/EBC-Brakes-FA...isc+Brake+Pads
EBCs work well but are known to be noisy like a swarm of locusts on the front.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 09-28-2016, 09:34 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

EBC V-Pads. Love them.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:37 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Have a friend with a 2013 SG CVO looking at Lyndall brake pads but has no clue which type to buy and not inclined to dealer stuff or pricing anymore, stock calipers and rotors and he's a pretty aggressive rider he works the bike and those brakes . Suggestions I can pass on ? Have my preference but bike styles are very different and don't want to steer him wrong.

I like Lyndall brake pads. The Gold pads are the best and generally provide improved braking performance. Follow their break in procedure. Sounds like they may be best for your friend.

Both my Harleys have white wall tires and they are a pain in the butt to clean. I use the Z-Plus pads on these bikes as they produce very little brake dust. Performance is at least as good as stock .... and probably better.

Quick Reply: Question about brake pads