Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overshifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Overshifting problem

I had this problem with my 98 WideGlide, and am having it with my 2000 Ultra.

Quite often when I shift, my transmission will wind up between gears, essentially behaving as though it's in neutral. No grinding, or anything, just gears not engaged. When this happens it's always gone past the gear I was shifting into and I have to downshift (or up-shift) to get it back into the gear I intended. Oddly, considering this has happened on two of my Harleys, I'm finding no information about this issue.

Red Line 42904 V-Twin Primary Case Oil in measured and verified and verified qty
Red Line 42804 V-Twin Transmission Oil with ShockProof in measured and verifiede qty

Don't what the previous owner was running, but it was clean when I drained and re-filled with the above, with no change in the problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:54 PM
Rdcris
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Wondering about how you actually shift gears.
Do you shift with a aggressive action or a lazy action?

I've noticed that if I don't shift with a positive shift action it could run into what is happening to you.

Just a thought to consider.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:04 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rdcris
Wondering about how you actually shift gears.
Do you shift with a aggressive action or a lazy action?

I've noticed that if I don't shift with a positive shift action it could run into what is happening to you.

Just a thought to consider.
Good question, that I thought would come up. I'd say more on the aggressive side than the lazy side.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:06 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,549 Posts

Are you a heal shifter? Do you have the same issue downshifting?

Old 01-02-2017, 10:11 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Baker makes an "anti overshift" pawl, but they do a horrible job of describing the problem it's correcting, which is what I'd like to understand. Also, I'd love get get feedback from anyone who may have installed one.

https://*******/rBCfTY

Old 01-02-2017, 10:13 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TSheff
Are you a heal shifter? Do you have the same issue downshifting?
Yes, I am, and I believe the problem happens mostly when down-shifting, which means after I have toed-down into a lower gear I then have to heel-up to get into it.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Z
Baker makes an "anti overshift" pawl, but they do a horrible job of describing the problem it's correcting, which is what I'd like to understand. Also, I'd love get get feedback from anyone who may have installed one.

Mark from Baker Drivetrain is a regular on the forum. Hopefully he'll come across your thread and chime in.

He can most certainly tell you what the pawl you describe is designed to correct.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:53 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Z

When my pawl spring broke on my FXR I replaced it with the Baker, just KNOWING it would take care of that false neutral problem. Centered the pawl adjustment with a dial indicator. It didn't make a bit of difference, it still sometimes goes past whatever gear I'm going for and falls between.
But I have a better spring, so they say........
Next, I'll replace the drum and forks,

Last edited by Lakerat; 01-03-2017 at 12:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Z (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 02:27 AM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lakerat
When my pawl spring broke on my FXR I replaced it with the Baker, just KNOWING it would take care of that false neutral problem. Centered the pawl adjustment with a dial indicator. It didn't make a bit of difference, it still sometimes goes past whatever gear I'm going for and falls between.
But I have a better spring, so they say........
Next, I'll replace the drum and forks,
Thanks LakeRat, that's exactly the sort of feedback I had hoped for re the Baker pawl. I'll be interested to see how you finally resolve the problem

Old 01-03-2017, 07:02 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Try the simple things first. Take your foot control apart, remove and clean the splined shaft and the hole it fits in (where your shifter levers attach). That area is prone to collect water and slightly corrode inside. I've had shifting problems before and this always took care of it (mine would always miss the gear on upshifting). Had another guy at work asking all sorts of questions about the springs and forks and with this advise, it cleared up his issues as well.

Quick Reply: Overshifting problem