Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help re: Aux switches

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 11:40 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Help re: Aux switches

Hey guys its been a while since I've done a winter project. I have a '14 SGS as you know the dash switch panel has blanks. I was getting ready to order the auxiliary power switch kit http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-fairing-mount which comes with a power harness. I pulled dash switch panel and to my surprise there are power harnesses plugged into the blanks on each side see pic below. Can anyone tell me where the other end of those harnesses are to plug in your power accessories?

Old 01-14-2017, 01:48 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member

Let me word my question a different way I want to have a dash switch to a powered accessory in my saddle bag . If anyone could walk me through this it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Ed.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:42 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Not completely sure on the 2014 as I have a 2011. But. There is one under the fairing. One under the seat. One in the rear fender. Other than that not sure. Where you want to terminate a device or accessory Harley sells a pig tail/adapter to add you accessory of choice.Good Luck.

Attached Thumbnails Help re: Aux switches-kit.png  
Old 01-14-2017, 03:45 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

I was told they were premiered to fuse block and all you need to do is get a switch. Is that what you are asking?

Old 01-14-2017, 04:18 PM
mpr3369
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The plug is under the left side cover. I really can't tell you exactly which wire goes to which switch. There are 8 wires going in to the plug. Hope this helps a bit.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:58 PM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

I'm putting ape hangers on my RGS and when I pulled the dash did see the same ting. So switches is all I need here? Sounds good.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:34 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member

After much forum searching I found this great thread

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-cut-outs.html

And after reading the post from @GlidingJoe he did a great job of mapping out the wiring but what really had me confused was the service manual's illustration of the fuse box area shows two connections below the fuse box the upper one for diagnostics and the lower one for accessories well mine were in the opposite position to what the manual shows and I never would have figured that out without Joes wire color info !

So basically all you need is this switch kit from HD
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-fairing-mount

Just install the switches in the dash the plug is already in place and plug the included wire harnesses in the kit to the accessory outlet below the fuse box and hook your accessory up to the harness and bingo its wired to the dash switch!

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 06:45 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,748 Likes on 6,894 Posts

Sweet

That is great information

Old 01-14-2017, 06:47 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,162 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Originally Posted by ejvette
After much forum searching I found this great thread

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-cut-outs.html

And after reading the post from @GlidingJoe he did a great job of mapping out the wiring but what really had me confused was the service manual's illustration of the fuse box area shows two connections below the fuse box the upper one for diagnostics and the lower one for accessories well mine were in the opposite position to what the manual shows and I never would have figured that out without Joes wire color info !

So basically all you need is this switch kit from HD
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-fairing-mount

Just install the switches in the dash the plug is already in place and plug the included wire harnesses in the kit to the accessory outlet below the fuse box and hook your accessory up to the harness and bingo its wired to the dash switch!
The harness that comes with the kit is setup with different options. One set of wires will handle a load of 2amp, the other set of wires are configured with a relay for larger amp draw accessories. Just a heads up.

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 06:59 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
The harness that comes with the kit is setup with different options. One set of wires will handle a load of 2amp, the other set of wires are configured with a relay for larger amp draw accessories. Just a heads up.
Yes I need the larger than 2amp to power a small compressor.

Quick Reply: Help re: Aux switches