Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-Boned

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 07:38 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by CSS899
Prayers for you and your wife. Hope you guys will ride again soon if you so choose. Glad you were wearing helmets. I have a friend whom I ride with that the minute we hit Yuma (coming from SD) off comes his helmet. The ironic thing is he swears at other riders who lane split as being stupid yet has no problem not wearing his helmet. Before the flames start I'm not in favor of mandatory helmet laws.
Speaking of helmets, I talked with a rider in Montana who was riding without a helmet, and hit a deer only going about 10mph when they contacted. He fell off, hit his head on the pavement and was hospitalized with a bad concussion and lacerations. He said he will NEVER ride without a helmet again. Just think about merely standing on pavement, then falling and hitting head-first. That alone could kill you. Many people die from head injuries just falling on their stairs.

The following 2 users liked this post by FunGramps:
cajunlowrider (07-01-2017), Tactical111 (07-01-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 07:44 PM
MadMexican
Club Member
Received 691 Likes on 484 Posts

Prayers sent

Old 06-10-2017, 08:08 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Unfortunately, we all who love to ride could easily be telling the same story or a story much worse. Thankfully, you and your wife will heal and live to ride again if that's something you two still desire to do. I wish you both a full and speedy recovery.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:31 PM
T Man
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Glad you both survived. Had a bad close call once, went to pass a semi and at that moment he made a left turn, his trailer lights weren't working. Locked up my brakes and managed to avoid disaster but it could have been nasty.

Last edited by T Man; 06-11-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:34 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by FunGramps
Speaking of helmets, I talked with a rider in Montana who was riding without a helmet, and hit a deer only going about 10mph when they contacted. He fell off, hit his head on the pavement and was hospitalized with a bad concussion and lacerations. He said he will NEVER ride without a helmet again. Just think about merely standing on pavement, then falling and hitting head-first. That alone could kill you. Many people die from head injuries just falling on their stairs.
so does that mean I should wear a helmet going down the stairs.....//?? not being a smart but, but that sorta proves the point. slip in your bathroom and bam head hits sink I shoulda had a helmet on. glad the op and his wife are on the way to recovery.

Last edited by svarnster; 06-10-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:36 PM
T Man
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by svarnster
so does that mean I should wear a helmet going down the stairs.....//??
No, it means you should wear a helmet when riding. It may feel good to ride without one, but once you've had a bad head injury you are never the same, if you live.

The following 2 users liked this post by T Man:
cajunlowrider (07-01-2017), Tactical111 (07-01-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 08:43 PM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

Damn brother sorry to hear of this terrible accident. Sounds like you did everything right, sadly you cannot count on the other guy doing the same. Hang in there and hope you both heal quickly.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:44 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by svarnster
so does that mean I should wear a helmet going down the stairs.....//?? not being a smart but, but that sorta proves the point. slip in your bathroom and bam head hits sink I shoulda had a helmet on. glad the op and his wife are on the way to recovery.
Yes it proves your point, but also proves how easily a head injury can be sustained, making the decision for someone who wishes increased safety even more relevant while on the road. It's a matter of choice, IMO. I've ridden without a helmet in Montana. It felt great, but I knew the increased risk I was taking. Each to his/her own.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:55 PM
06BlackWG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you both survived. It's hard to give up riding once you're hooked. I've tried because of close calls but end up with another bike. Hope you and the wife heal up quickly.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:58 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Prayers to the OP and His wife.
Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: T-Boned