Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Radios & HD touring bikes

Old 09-11-2017, 09:38 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Intrepid
This was mostly what I had in mind. I've done quite a bit of touring, and its surprising the number of interstate sections where I've had little or zero bars on my cell phone. If anything went sideways out there, my cell phone wouldn't be of much use. I'm looking for a secondary comm option, and the CB offers that - understanding that transmission range isn't optimal. Possibly a different antenna may improve that. (?)
My layman's understanding of the problem is primarily with the "grounding". The CB and/or the antennae are grounded to a small metal/plastic surface. The short antennae doesn't help. I believe there are fixes for the relocation of the ground. I've seen several threads offering advice.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:49 AM
BobRed0965
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Here are the advantages I see to a CB over other options:
Compatibility - If someone else has a CB, it just works. You don't have to ask them what brand they have and you don't have to pair with them.
Reliability - Within eyesight, it's dead reliable. Outside of that range, quality degrades gradually. Cell phones get dropped signals. Bluetooth devices go quickly from perfect reception to unintelligible.
Broadcasting - No other communication option works with large groups. This is particularly important in large group rides where someone in the front can alert everyone behind him simultaneously about a hazard.

Where CB's fail:
Privacy - Someone can always be listening
Simplicity of use - PTT is a PITA
Full Duplex - Cellphones and most bluetooth devices allow both parties to talk at the same time.

The following users liked this post:
SGME9 (10-08-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 10:18 AM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
Truckers are still using the CB. I find them on channel 19.
yes they are.
CB is still the best option for group rides when communicating with more than a handful of bikes at a time. For HOG Chapter Rides with our group, you don't lead or sweep without a CB, many different situations where group communication is not only critical, but also entertaining.

The following 3 users liked this post by bmaier:
cw4pilot (10-05-2019), Doc Intrepid (09-16-2017), SGME9 (10-08-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 02:48 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
My layman's understanding of the problem is primarily with the "grounding". The CB and/or the antennae are grounded to a small metal/plastic surface. The short antennae doesn't help. I believe there are fixes for the relocation of the ground. I've seen several threads offering advice.
Maybe you're thinking of "ground plane"?

One source from google: https://www.wearecb.com/cb-antenna-ground-plane.html

Last edited by cficole; 09-11-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:53 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by cficole
Maybe you're thinking of "ground plane"?
Yes, I believe that was the Achilles's Heel of the system.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:40 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
Yes, I believe that was the Achilles's Heel of the system.
It's a problem with motorcycles, all right.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:47 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
My last bike as well as my current bike had a CB radio.
I used the CB on my last bike much more than I have on my current bike, especially on my trip to AK and I think it had more range with the big "whip" antennas that the little "shorties" that I have on my current bike.

I had a CB back when we had to have a FCC license (I still remember my call letters) and not much has changed.
There are still many idiots out there who like to use the mic to start trouble and use foul language but on the other hand there are more nice folks than bad.
True, a cell phone is clearer and also has unlimited range but as someone else noted, how do you get someone's number that you want to talk with?

I doubt that I'll get it on my next bike/trike as I'm not willing to pay that much for the CB but they can come in handy sometimes.
I remember back then CB radios only had 21 channels till around 1978, not the 40 they have had for decades now.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:28 AM
Ahhnuld
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The radio works fairly well, you have about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile range and transmission and reception is very good. Useful for bike to bike and can be used for talking to trucks as long as you are in range. Easy interface as well.

Last edited by Ahhnuld; 09-12-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:54 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Here is one option:

https://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail...-COBRA-IMC-KIT

I bought one of these when I put aftermarket audio in my Road Glide. It had the factory CB but I only ever used it on HOG rides so I decided to upgrade the audio and use this instead. The Cobra unit actually works better than the stock Midland unit did and, since I only use it on HOG rides it's a simple matter to uninstall it for the rest of the time. Yes, the truckers still talk on 19 but they rarely say anything worth listening to and, frankly, all that noise gets on my nerves.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:03 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by blackxpress
Here is one option:

https://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail...-COBRA-IMC-KIT

I bought one of these when I put aftermarket audio in my Road Glide. It had the factory CB but I only ever used it on HOG rides so I decided to upgrade the audio and use this instead. The Cobra unit actually works better than the stock Midland unit did and, since I only use it on HOG rides it's a simple matter to uninstall it for the rest of the time. Yes, the truckers still talk on 19 but they rarely say anything worth listening to and, frankly, all that noise gets on my nerves.
Some riders in our HOG chapter use that. Works just fine. Just another thing to hang from the handlebars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CB Radios & HD touring bikes