Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 09:25 PM
rrhemi
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Now what?

I rented a 2017 Road Glide in Vegas last week. Rode two up and experienced rear end wobble when leaned over on fast sweepers. Bike had 1200 miles on it and rear tired looked fine. I have a Victory and never experience any flex like this. Hit a bad bump and felt my passenger come up off the seat, another show stopper.
At 6'2" the bike felt cramped, very difficult to use rear brake. I know that can be sorted out with aftermarket bits.

The M8 motor was great! You could dip down to low 50's in 6th and it would still accelerate without a downshift. With a tune it might keep up with the Vic, might. Tranny, overall fit and finish were also very good.

I won't buy anything from Polaris again, they can suck it.

So I really don't know what to do. Sooner or later parts for the Victory will be hard to find. Dealer service is fading quickly. Folks seem to be raving over the handling on the new softail. I wonder if that design fixes the swing arm trans mount issue that seems to be the culprit of this wobble?

Old 09-13-2017, 09:30 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Yamaha has a couple new touring bikes this year, check them out.

The following users liked this post:
TexasMotorcycleRider (09-14-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 09:33 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

Try a car.

So you didn't like it. Fine. Buy something else.

GM

Old 09-13-2017, 09:36 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Indian

Old 09-13-2017, 09:38 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

IDK what are other Victory owners doing?

Old 09-13-2017, 09:43 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Not sure how much different the 17 is from my 15, but I have not experienced anything like that on my 15.

Maybe find a used 15 or 16 (or possibly a left over 16 - I hear there are some still out there) and give one a rip. Either that or try a metric touring bike

As for the heritage, we have an 09 and it's a fantastic bike, but the boards do scrape easily.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:46 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 968 Likes on 556 Posts

Dont know if its due the shorter shocks during the OPs ride or the shocks werent properly adjusted or something else was wrong, but I've never had rear end wobble on my RGU during hard cornering. None, and I tend to ride very aggresively. I'm also 6'2 and the bike does not feel cramped in any way. Also, I've ridden alongside a buddy with a 16 vic cross country, both bikes were stock and mine could pull away in any gear.

Anyway, good luck and God speed!

Old 09-13-2017, 10:12 PM
rrhemi
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBIG G
Dont know if its due the shorter shocks during the OPs ride or the shocks werent properly adjusted or something else was wrong, but I've never had rear end wobble on my RGU during hard cornering. None, and I tend to ride very aggresively. I'm also 6'2 and the bike does not feel cramped in any way. Also, I've ridden alongside a buddy with a 16 vic cross country, both bikes were stock and mine could pull away in any gear.

Anyway, good luck and God speed!

The rear shocks didn't have much travel for sure. I guess I would think that with the rear being stiff it would be less likely to flex under pressure. My brother rented a slingshot. The M8 would easily pull away from that turd! From a standing stop and from a roll.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:40 AM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 326 Likes on 147 Posts

Do you suppose the rear tire pressure was low even though it "looked fine"?
Two up on a low pressure tire could result in a wobble (and worse) during fast cornering, and you can't assume the dealer or rental shop checks all things all the time.
As far as comfort goes, well if it don't fit, try another till you find the one that does. I too felt cramped on my Road King at first, but I got used to it. Check it out-
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&iact=c&ictx=1

Old 09-14-2017, 01:45 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by GroovusMagnus
Try a car.

So you didn't like it. Fine. Buy something else.

GM
There's always one....

Quick Reply: Now what?