Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashin sucks

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 04:21 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbilly78
Wow no way? I didnt know that. Shouldnt magnuson moss come into effect with that? Im gonna be off a scoot for this year anyways. Looks like the broken bone in my wrist is one thats gonna need surgery so ill have plenty of time to figure this out
Doesn't apply as there was a deal between the EPA and Harley when the EPA cracked down on HD. You can only use CARB approved equipment if the Harley dealers does the mods, use after market non-CARB approved equipment and HD has to void your warranty.

Under the settlement, Harley-Davidson:
  • will immediately stop selling the tuners, buy back all of the tuners in stock at their dealerships and destroy the tuners.
  • obtain certification from the California Air Resources Board for any tuners it sells in the future. These certifications will demonstrate that new tuners do not cause their motorcycles to exceed their certified emissions limits.
  • will conduct tests on tuner-equipped motorcycles and provide the results to EPA to guarantee that their motorcycles remain in compliance with EPA certification requirements for emissions.
  • will also ensure that all of its future motorcycle models intended for sale in the United States are fully certified by EPA.
https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/harl...act-settlement

Old 09-20-2017, 06:01 PM
mark681137
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good fortune may be headed your way, this is how mine went down last March, guy pulled out in front of me on my '97 road king, I was doing about 30mph, I was so pissed that I let it happen but the car was in a parking lot and the cars in the right lane were backed up and evidently a van left space for the guy to exit the parking lot, he did, I lost bounced right out in front of me. Insurance payout $11,500, savage value of bike $5,500, I let em have the bike, got into an '09 for $9,500.
P.S. you'll probably be gun-shy for quite a while, I know I was, took forever for me to loosen my grips on the handlebars, but its all good now on my new ride!

Last edited by mark681137; 09-20-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:16 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Couple weeks ago I got a new M8 Road Glide and by far the nicest Harley I have ever ridden. Power, handling, suspension are all awesome to say the least. I went with RC headers and slip ons, SE breather and tuner. Asked the salesman (have known him few years) about the warranty. Told me HD has had the warranty disclaimer since 72. Could it be upheld by a dealership? Yes. But this dealership will not. If you are not ready to buy one don't test ride one. I keep telling people that for good reason.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:23 PM
hellbilly78
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark681137
Good fortune may be headed your way, this is how mine went down last March, guy pulled out in front of me on my '97 road king, I was doing about 30mph, I was so pissed that I let it happen but the car was in a parking lot and the cars in the right lane were backed up and evidently a van left space for the guy to exit the parking lot, he did, I lost bounced right out in front of me. Insurance payout $11,500, savage value of bike $5,500, I let em have the bike, got into an '09 for $9,500.
P.S. you'll probably be gun-shy for quite a while, I know I was, took forever for me to loosen my grips on the handlebars, but its all good now on my new ride!
im sure i might be a little gun shy but i dont think im gonna be to bad. Im ready to hop back on and ride. Just drivin around the past couple days im watchin people even more then i have been. Been ridin for 8-9 years ive became pretty good at judging what people were gonna do. And what bugs me the most about this is i knew she was gonna pull out. She showed every sign and i made a bad call tryin to put myself in the best possible position to avoid it and it didnt work out and knowing that i shoulda just stopped and didnt is whats eatin me up. But non the less its not gonns keep me off a bike and ill be back out there next year. As for dealing with insurance rider insurance is treating me well but im just ready to get this over with as far as her insurance goes i havent heard a word yet from them. And now i have to get a pin in my wrist for sure. As for the m8's go im glad to hear not every dealership is bowing down. With my 103 bein buit to a 107 im really lookin to get as close to the same performance without really crackin into it as much. I wont get a verdict on my bike until the end of next week or the following week. Thanks for all the info guys.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

I got rear ended last year and still recovering from shoulder surgery in June of this year. My advice: Let them have the bike less the accessories you can and want to transfer to next bike.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:23 AM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,663 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Hali
Doesn't apply as there was a deal between the EPA and Harley when the EPA cracked down on HD. You can only use CARB approved equipment if the Harley dealers does the mods, use after market non-CARB approved equipment and HD has to void your warranty.

Under the settlement, Harley-Davidson:
  • will immediately stop selling the tuners, buy back all of the tuners in stock at their dealerships and destroy the tuners.
  • obtain certification from the California Air Resources Board for any tuners it sells in the future. These certifications will demonstrate that new tuners do not cause their motorcycles to exceed their certified emissions limits.
  • will conduct tests on tuner-equipped motorcycles and provide the results to EPA to guarantee that their motorcycles remain in compliance with EPA certification requirements for emissions.
  • will also ensure that all of its future motorcycle models intended for sale in the United States are fully certified by EPA.
https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/harl...act-settlement
No, MM doesn't apply because MM only covers the consumer from using aftermarket parts that meet OEM specs.

Putting a FP3 on your bike and tuning it takes it out of OEM specs and is no longer protected under MM. MM and the consent decree have nothing to do with one another. Plus there is that warranty disclaimer about making performance mods and all of that.

There is enough reading on this subject in just about every sub forum on HDF. It'll keep you busy for a few days...nobody really understands it, every dealer gives you a different answer, and every employee within a given dealer will give you a different answer. We're basically left to interpret everything on our own and hope it works out. Reminds me of NYS gun laws.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:27 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by BTLorys
No, MM doesn't apply because MM only covers the consumer from using aftermarket parts that meet OEM specs.

Putting a FP3 on your bike and tuning it takes it out of OEM specs and is no longer protected under MM. MM and the consent decree have nothing to do with one another. Plus there is that warranty disclaimer about making performance mods and all of that.

There is enough reading on this subject in just about every sub forum on HDF. It'll keep you busy for a few days...nobody really understands it, every dealer gives you a different answer, and every employee within a given dealer will give you a different answer. We're basically left to interpret everything on our own and hope it works out. Reminds me of NYS gun laws.
The government doesn't want you to understand what their laws or decrees mean so they can reinterpret it, if they want to.

The following users liked this post:
BTLorys (09-22-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 07:23 PM
hellbilly78
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Hali
The government doesn't want you to understand what their laws or decrees mean so they can reinterpret it, if they want to.
aint that the truth. Anything to benefit them. Im just ready to get this stuff over with figure out whats goin on with my bike to figure out what im gonna do bike wise. Im sure with gettin surgery on my wrist im gonna have plenty of time to.dream. to the guy that was rear ended did there insurance company take care of medical bills and did they offer a settlement?