Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I Install My Progressive 412 Shocks Right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:24 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Did I Install My Progressive 412 Shocks Right?

Installed the 412 HD 12" shocks recently and now have noticed they look to be installed wrong. The instructions are not super clear and said use the bushing with the edge how I have it I believe and one washer per eyelet but as you see inside the shock the rubber part looks like it is coming out and like I need to add an inside washer as well like the outside but the spacer edge is there but it doesn't keep the rubber bushing in flush. I can't find **** for up close install pics. I found threads on sporty forums talking about if you install these wrong your ride will suffer. That might explain why these ride like crap. I'm 250 my GF is only 5'1" lets just say that and with some gear we bottom out on number 4 setting and these are the HD shocks even.....also should I rotate them so the bottom is different. I recall them saying you can rotate the bottom in or out for clerence needs but they look fine to me.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Well, as long as things are lined up correctly, the installation should be fine. It's just a matter of getting the spacers in the right location, and that may be something that you don't really need too many instructions for!

As far as the ride, it's my recollection that many purchasers of these shocks on touring bikes were less than enamored of their performance. There's a bunch of info on this forum on that issue, but when I replace my OE units, these won't be on my list! I will likely go with the 944's...you may be experiencing the same thing these other posters have observed...

Old 09-19-2017, 10:38 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Yeah the ride is garbage with these. Lots of bottoming out hitting hard. But stuck with them. Wasted $270 live and learn.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:47 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 727 Likes on 559 Posts

The 412s are the bottom end of the Progressive offerings, and they were barely above stock cushioning on my dyna. I certainly wouldn't want them on a heavier touring bike.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:57 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

But are the even installed right? To me I don't think the rubber bushing should be working its way out the back side like they are. Ill add a washer back side top and bottom guess it can hurt it any.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:01 PM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,539 Likes on 2,506 Posts

Did you torque to spec? you may be compressing the rubber bushing and its busting out.

rk classic.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:20 PM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

On the bottom there should be a washer in there. It's going ruin the bushing the way it is. I read the instructions, it says to install with the same hardware the old one were removed with. Do you remember if there was a washer behind the shock on the bottom? Call progressive, they should be able to tell you for sure.
Also, I recommend you lower the bike and tighten the shocks with the weight of the bike on the shocks. Doing this will prevent the bushings from "winding up" when the shocks compress.

Last edited by SG-Jay; 09-20-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:29 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 727 Likes on 559 Posts

^^What he said. The top looks fine but the bottom eyelet should be straight up and down in the bushing, not a an angle. It looks like it needs some kind of spacer or washer on the bottom behind the bushing.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:20 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Thanks guys. Yeah I can't remember what was there as the bike had a lowering kit installed when I got it. I have extra washers to use.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:19 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Called them how I have them is right and how their instructions say. That collared sleeve to me tho doesnt have a big enough edge on it to hold the rubber bushing in there. They said I can pull the shocks and lube up the rubber bushing to slid it back in but no washer on the inside is used. They are torqued to spec and red lock tight was used to hold them on. Guess ill just have to ride her.

Quick Reply: Did I Install My Progressive 412 Shocks Right?