Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 FLHTCU won't start after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 08:54 AM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks - I'm going to try some of the suggestions above. There are a lot of connectors inside that battery compartment - wires with caps, plus a fuse on a wire, the security box, etc..

The Fuelpak problem (didn't have power) was my idiot error. It doesn't get power until you hit the Run switch. Once, I do, it's powered and has retained the original settings. I checked all the fuses - they seem fine. I do hear the fuel pump cycle on and off with the Run/Stop switch. I wish I could check the fuel filter without a special tool.

OK, I pulled the plugs and am definitely getting a spark when cranking. So something is messed up in fuel delivery, right?

Last edited by PwnedNoob; 10-08-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:07 AM
sweet johnnie
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i was able to access my fuel filter after covering the tank opening with a thin piece of cardboard cut to fit and a large pair of channel lock pliers.....harbor frieght has a pair of 16" ones for under $20....

Old 10-08-2017, 09:15 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer1143
Disconnect the fuel line from the tank and reinstall it. Give it a shot, doesn't take long to do.
Originally Posted by PwnedNoob

OK, I pulled the plugs and am definitely getting a spark when cranking. So something is messed up in fuel delivery, right?
Try the suggestion Boomer1143 gave.

I have personally seen that be the issue before.

You mention, you hear the fuel pump running, and you have spark.
Sometimes (I've only seen it happen to one bike), an o-ring or something inside the quick disconnect valve gets blocked.
If fuel isn't flowing through that connection, the bike isn't going to start.

It connects and disconnects just like an air compressor hose.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:25 AM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate

I disconnected the quick-connect fitting. Definitely had gas in there and seemed pressurized. O-ring looked OK. Reconnected and still nothing. Fuel injectors clogged?

One other thing - I removed the gas cap and shined a flashlight into the tank. When the pump primes or I crank, i can see gasline spraying around inside the tank. Is that normal?

Last edited by PwnedNoob; 10-08-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:48 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 115 Posts

Okay dumb question............is the battery FULLY charged? My bike does this sometimes when it sits for a while, cranks over just simply will not fire. I jump it and it fires right up.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:53 AM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate

I was thinking this through again - like, what has changed since a perfectly running garage queen of a bike suddenly stops working? Only two things I can think of are 1) the new battery and 2) it sat for a while. Maybe my Autozone battery isn't powerful enough or my fuel has gone bad.

Going to try a jump now.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:26 AM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate

Anyone know what that grey connector is? Did I leave something unplugged when I opened things up to get the battery out?

Old 10-08-2017, 10:32 AM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 235 Likes on 154 Posts

There is your problem. There is not supposed to be gas spraying around in the tank. Either the fuel
filter shell is broken (has happened to me twice) or a fuel line is bad. You don’t have enough pressure for it to run. I’m surprised it doesn’t try though. You need to pull the pump assembly out far enough to find the problem. The filter shell will break where the locking pin goes through small holes at the top and let gas escape around the o ring. There is a newer design that is thicker around the lock pin holes.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:34 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

assesory connector or b connector as they say. id look into that gas spraying around in your tank

Old 10-08-2017, 10:35 AM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 235 Likes on 154 Posts

Also change the fuel filter, they are the biggest cause of fuel pressure problems.
The grey connector is an extra accessory connection. It’s usually empty.

Quick Reply: '08 FLHTCU won't start after battery change