Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 FLHTCU won't start after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 11:15 AM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a quick video of what I'm seeing when the fuel pump primes - gas sprays around inside the tank. I've read on some forums that might be normal since the lines are pressurized, the priming pushes gas back into the tank through a bypass.

Guess I'm stuck without that cam tool to remove the top plate. Maybe it's time to call for a tow.

Last edited by PwnedNoob; 10-08-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:00 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 235 Likes on 154 Posts

I covered my tank with blue tape and then tapped the ring around with a punch and hammer. It’s a little more work to put it back but I’ve done it several times

Old 10-08-2017, 12:36 PM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate

OK, here's something - or maybe a wild goose chase. I checked the system for codes and got a P0374 CKP Sensor Synch Error. It suggests Part No. 32933-08, which doesn't seem to exist. I'm checking now to see if there is a way to check the crank sensor.

But if I'm getting an intermittant spark while cranking, wouldn't this mean that the crank position sensor is working???

Last edited by PwnedNoob; 10-08-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:46 PM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Change your filter and the two lines. Don't buy Harley Crap. Go to Napa and buy submersible fuel line. You need 3' of it and it only comes in a 1' or 10' roll. Buy the 10'. Up here it was 30 bux. You should not have fuel spraying inside the tank. You will have to grind the clamp a bit to feed it into the bottom of the tank where it joins the quick connect. Be very careful removing the line from the top of the regulator housing. They break very easily.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:53 PM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate

Thanks for all the suggestions. I cleared the codes and started over again and it's not throwing any, but of course, nothing has changed. I found this useful service guide, but it may or not apply to my bike. Good troubleshooting flowcharts in it though. Problem is I don't have all that scan equipment, special tools, pressure gauges (or patience or time at this point).

I think it's time to throw in the towel...

Old 10-08-2017, 02:11 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Could be fuel delivery issue. Fuel crossover line from quick disconnect at the tank to injectors deteriorated. Not noticeable from a visual inspection.

I believe moco had a service notification on this some time ago.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:36 PM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate

OK, so where can I buy all the parts I need to replace the fuel delivery system from the tank to the cylinders? I used to use Zanotti's but they've been gone for a while.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:19 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by PwnedNoob
OK, so where can I buy all the parts I need to replace the fuel delivery system from the tank to the cylinders? I used to use Zanotti's but they've been gone for a while.
If it we're mine, I'd go to HD for it all. This is a pressurized system with fitted connections at all points. It's not a gas line/ mini clamp connects. Yes, you'll pay for it but in the end much less trouble for the DIY guy. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Taggs; 10-08-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:28 PM
PwnedNoob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Taggs
If it we're mine, I'd go to HD for it all. This is a pressurized system with fitted connections at all points. It's not a gas line/ mini clamp connects. Yes, you'll pay for it but in the end much less trouble for the DIY guy. Just my opinion.
Yeah, I think you're right. I finally found a (dealer) site that let's me buy parts. Replacing everything from the pump to the injectors, except for brackets, would cost me arount $600. And that's just guessing what the problem might be.

It's damn frustrating to not be able to figure this out, but with the electronics these days, you're blind unless you have the right diagnostic computers or just want to start replacing systems.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:10 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

I think I would hit the intake with some starting fluid to make double sure you're getting spark at the right time... If it lites off and runs for a few seconds you know your crank position sensor and ECM are synced correctly.

If it runs for a few seconds, the issue is fuel. In that case remove the fuel hose end that feeds the injectors (small screw and blade lock) and point it into a gas can or glass jar. Try to start it and ensure that fuel is pumping.

Last edited by lp; 10-08-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: '08 FLHTCU won't start after battery change