Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 ultra limited lowering.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Jmac71
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS95355
I joined this forum specifically because of this post. I want to follow it and read up on other ideas. I am wanting to buy the 2018 Limited anniversary but have the same 5'6" short problem. The dealer tells me the Limited low, Road glide special and Street glide all share the same short rear shack and can be installed on the Standard Limited ,to lower the seat height. Also, if needed the Covington 1" lowering block will clear the saddle bag. I figure that factory shock is good enough for the Limited low and should ride well on the Limited I touch flat footed barely on a Standard limited and only have the minimal knee bend on the Limited low. I will not be able to back up with out couple inches coming off the seat height.
I am not a fan of the forward low seat comes standard on the limited low. Just sitting on it in the show room has my junk all bunched up. I know there are custom options, maybe factory option to get a low seat without that forward low back shoving me up tight to the tank.
I think all my theories and reasoning are sound, its just expensive to try out. I wish I could find someone who has done it and sit on theirs.

(Faster horses older whiskey, younger women and more money)
I too checked out the limited low. I was more comfortable on it without any modifications. The Anniversary Limited caught my attention simply because of the color. I have always been a fan of the color black on all my vehicles. Seeing so many friends riding the traditional color "black" Harley I wanted something different. None of the other colors offered on the limited suited my taste so that was what brought me to look at the anniversary edition. I used the tamarack lowering blocks which worked perfect for me in what I needed to be comfortable. Easy install and gave me a inch lower wiggle room. I also wear my Harley Davidson boots which in general give you a little more than an extra inch because of the thicker heel/sole. I am between 5'8" and 5'9" tall. I have a 31" inseam. I am totally flat footed now with my bike and can back it up on most normal inclines, not to excessive, if need be. The shocks from the limited low are shorter but I opted away from that option because I was told they actually would only lower my bike 3/4" instead of a full inch. I haven't heard/talked to anybody who has actually done both, used the lower blocks plus the shorter shocks. That may be an option or not. Maybe somebody else can provide that information.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a friend who is also vertically challenged. He looked at the low. Since for the most part the stock suspension is not very good. Get the standard limited. If you have not had a good set of progressives or Ohlins you have not reference. But. Buy the standard swap out the shocks to the size of your choice. Most likely you will like it better and you will get the heated grips. Which are not on the low Limited. Heated grips are not a deal killer. But nice to have when you need them. Also the handle bars I think are a little different on the low. If your buying new. Dump the ambient gauge. Substitute a trans temp gauge. Best time to due that is when new. Temp gauge sucks. Good luck

Old 03-06-2018, 03:00 PM
SS95355
1st Gear

I am leaning more and more to buying a standard and do modifications to the rear. I like the idea of the front shocks being full travel. I agree the heated grips are nice, also the passenger gets mini boards for their feet verses a peg on the Limited Low. The handle bars are smaller diameter and pulled back a little different angle. I thought the handle bars felt a bit flimsy. I do not like the limited low reach seat back support. I can figure the seat out later, many many options thru HD and aftermarket. I really want to find someone that has used blocks on the limited low or installed short shocks and blocks on the standard, or Road glide. I think the street glide has same frame. A lot of street glide guys out there making modifications. Maybe I ask around and see if anyone has put shorter shocks and blocks on and can tell me if the ride has suffered. I can't buy until I figure this out. Too much money. I will look into the trans temp guage swap.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:13 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Budda109
I have a friend who is also vertically challenged. He looked at the low. Since for the most part the stock suspension is not very good. Get the standard limited. If you have not had a good set of progressives or Ohlins you have not reference. But. Buy the standard swap out the shocks to the size of your choice. Most likely you will like it better and you will get the heated grips. Which are not on the low Limited. Heated grips are not a deal killer. But nice to have when you need them. Also the handle bars I think are a little different on the low. If your buying new. Dump the ambient gauge. Substitute a trans temp gauge. Best time to due that is when new. Temp gauge sucks. Good luck
Where is that located?

Old 03-06-2018, 08:11 PM
Jmac71
Novice

I am leaning more and more to buying a standard and do modifications to the rear. I like the idea of the front shocks being full travel. I agree the heated grips are nice, also the passenger gets mini boards for their feet verses a peg on the Limited Low. The handle bars are smaller diameter and pulled back a little different angle. I thought the handle bars felt a bit flimsy. I do not like the limited low reach seat back support. I can figure the seat out later, many many options thru HD and aftermarket. I really want to find someone that has used blocks on the limited low or installed short shocks and blocks on the standard, or Road glide. I think the street glide has same frame. A lot of street glide guys out there making modifications. Maybe I ask around and see if anyone has put shorter shocks and blocks on and can tell me if the ride has suffered. I can't buy until I figure this out. Too much money. I will look into the trans temp guage swap.
I have experienced that the rear passenger foot boards will hit the back of the drivers legs(calves) when stopping or taking off from a stop if you allow your legs to go back too far. I suspect that's why on the ultra low the passenger pegs are smaller and used. I have been told that taller riders on the standard ultra don't experience this problem. Once I got use to mine I don't have the problem any longer.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:19 PM
SS95355
1st Gear

" My original post:
I joined this forum specifically because of this post. I want to follow it and read up on other ideas. I am wanting to buy the 2018 Limited anniversary but have the same 5'6" short problem. The dealer tells me the Limited low, Road glide special and Street glide all share the same short rear shack and can be installed on the Standard Limited ,to lower the seat height. Also, if needed the Covington 1" lowering block will clear the saddle bag. I figure that factory shock is good enough for the Limited low and should ride well on the Limited I touch flat footed barely on a Standard limited and only have the minimal knee bend on the Limited low. I will not be able to back up with out couple inches coming off the seat height.
I am not a fan of the forward low seat comes standard on the limited low. Just sitting on it in the show room has my junk all bunched up. I know there are custom options, maybe factory option to get a low seat without that forward low back shoving me up tight to the tank.
I think all my theories and reasoning are sound, its just expensive to try out. I wish I could find someone who has done it and sit on theirs."

OK, update: I bought one, proud owner of the 2018 Ultra Limited Anniversary. I got a clean honest deal, I research for months and know what this bike cost, the tax, freight, set-up charges and was able to take advantage of the .99% 72/month financing. I need a 2X4 on each side of me for best flat foot comfort. I will start the lowering process by first using a lowering block. Seems cheapest and best route. I can always replace shocks. Time will tell, blocks be here Monday.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:43 PM
Wam
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

I went with lowering blocks, the ride got worse and when the bike was loaded felt like it would bottom out. I had a set of ohlins put on and took the blocks off. The height was the same as the blocks, but the ride and handling is unbelievable. The problem with the blocks is it changes the shock angle and geometry, which I am told has a bad effect on the shock and could cause it to fail. I am not to sure about the failing, after all the years racing and the experience I had with shocks and springs. But I can tell you this for sure, I will never go back to stock shocks and springs again. It should be illegal to put such poor quality shocks on a bike that cost what a Harley does.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:18 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Simple plan,Get a lower seat ,thicker shoes and a great pair of shocks,have a great day.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:41 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

I need a 2X4 on each side of me for best flat foot comfort. I will start the lowering process by first using a lowering block. Seems cheapest and best route. I can always replace shocks. Time will tell, blocks be here Monday.
Get shoes with a thicker sole

Geez there's a lot of short guys on HD's

Old 03-18-2018, 12:02 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Markymannn
Geez there's a lot of short guys on HD's
Very true! And some of us have been riding since before 'flat-footing' was invented! Ya'll still got toes, mine've done me well enough for 50 years......

Quick Reply: 2018 ultra limited lowering.