Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

relief for sciatic nerve pain

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 11:23 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by DaleMc0622
This will probably be obvious to some but I never thought of it until I started having lower back pain after longer rides. I use to keep my wallet in my back pocket until the doctor showed me how it puts your low back at a slight angle, doesn't seem like a big deal until you see that the angle compresses one side of your disk and every bump compresses that side even more, result for me was low back pain, much better with the wallet in the saddle bag. May not be contributing to your issue but if you carry your wallet in your back pocket, it might. Hope you figure it out.
This would be true, unless you have something of approximately equal size in your other back pocket, and then you're back to being "balanced" and "even".

Old 03-15-2018, 12:46 PM
FlyingSkeet
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Russell use your OEM pan so I did just buy a OEM seat on eBay because I have an itch for a new ride. I Will NEVER give up my DayLong seat. But they pour all new foam in house and use that to build up. I would recommend the ride in service. The seat is wide, the mold they use is like a big patrol bike then they build around that and because of the suspension spring (pulls up the outer edges) and being wide it can challenge shorter inseam riders. Ride in service can remedy this on the spot. I realize not everyone can make it to Redding CA they do a good job with the Photos you send in. That’s how a majority of their seats are built. Two back surgery’s and this seat keeps me riding. 1hr max on stock seat FLHTK

Old 03-15-2018, 05:00 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,849 Likes on 900 Posts

Well of course sciatic nerve pain is caused by pinching, pressure or compression of the sciatic nerve. The more weight there is above/pressing down on the nerve, the more likely there is to be problems. People who are overweight tend to have dramatically higher rates of spinal disc issues and nerve compression. Though it’s very hard to do, losing excess weight may be the most dramatic and long-term remedy to helping alleviate sciatic nerve syndromes.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:55 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I have been thinking of getting a inversion table...

Old 03-16-2018, 05:14 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Take the epidural steroid shots for your sciatica.

going for my 15th shot on the 27th, they help take the edge off..

its funny on the seats though, I just installed a CVO rider/riderbackrest/pillion and so far I love it.. 110 miles is longest ride so far and will know more if the northeast storms EVER STOP COMING so I can get some more miles in

Old 03-16-2018, 08:15 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,565 Likes on 10,096 Posts

Tightening my 'core muscles' helped reduce my sciatic nerve pain and discomfort.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:33 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by crustye
Does anyone have any suggestions on a seat for my 17 Ultra Limited, that won't strike up the pain from sciatic nerve. My HD tallboy seat just isn't cutting it. A friend suggested a Russell Daylong and another a Mustang.
I understand lower back pain completely and no longer have it.
Saddlemen Explorer Ultimate Comfort (pictured on the bike, photo below)

Im unsure if they are still making the EXPLORER Ultimate Comfort and seem to have replaced that wording with their Roadsofa seats. Honestly, for what you describe I would check out their "Explorer" series seats. The lower back support is fantastic and it absorbs all the bumps in the road.

Wife and I have a 14 RK, Saddlemen Explorer (not road sofa) Ultimate comfort, you could always call and see if they still have them or as I was told, would make you one, nothing to lose, you can check with them but believe you can return if you dont like.

All I know is our seat was the best thing we ever did when we first bought the bike and we tried 5 different brands in the first 5 weeks back in 2014. Saddlemen won hands down and we can ride for hours (and normally do) non stop, except gas or whatever.

Ps Saddlemen website sucks but dont be discouraged! They try to make it so fancy that its a PAIN in the *** just to find what you are looking for. Amazon would be out of business with a fancy site like Saddlemen. Talk about tripping over your own feet!

Last edited by alarmdoug; 03-17-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:37 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ybnorml
Tightening my 'core muscles' helped reduce my sciatic nerve pain and discomfort.

I did the same thing...the problem was that I hurt so much I couldn't
exercise....the steroid shots helped me, they relieved that pain and reduced the swelling enough that I could exercise and get an stronger core, which in turn helps to hold the joints apart better so the nerves are no longer pinched...

The following users liked this post:
ybnorml (03-18-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 06:35 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Stretching exercises helped me. I thought I was having hip problems but the DR. said it was my sciatic nerve and gave my the exercises to do.

The following users liked this post:
ybnorml (03-18-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 08:43 PM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I had to do three things:
1) put Ohlin shocks on rear
2) went to Hammock seat
3) use an Airhawk seat pad.

Quick Reply: relief for sciatic nerve pain