Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunpie LED light Install

Old 04-16-2018, 02:13 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sunpie LED light Install

Hey folks, broke down and bought the Sunpie LED lights for my 2013 Ultra Limited. I also bought the mounting ring required for this install. During the install the mounting ring hardware installed ok but the head light trim ring would not fit! I had to use my OEM headlight mount after gutting out the back.

All said and done, I like them! Nice and bright. Just disappointed the extra money I spent on the "required" mounting hardware doesn't work. The 4" spot went on with no problems.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:22 PM
Kitsoldman
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Put them on my 12 flhtk. After cutting the bucket for them to fit I’m very happy with them too.

The following users liked this post:
FL-kruzen (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 03:12 PM
Phil_R
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Put them on my 12 Limited as well. Came with the trim ring and fit perfect. Sorry you had trouble. My set is perfect. Sunpie as well.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:33 PM
destination highway
Road Master
Received 1,619 Likes on 437 Posts

Phil and Kit, I have a 12 Limited also..would you guys be able to share any pics? Kit, did you not order the trim ring?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:57 PM
Phil_R
Cruiser

This is what I bought from Amazon:
Amazon Amazon
I do not have any current pictures, however I am going to take the Sunpie LED headlight off the fairing soon, just as soon as I get a new headlight connector from Ebay. The connector that was on the old headlight was not in good shape and the wires had been spliced half a$$ed since the previous owner had under tank LED strips installed. Pi$$ Poor job, so I will fix it with solder and heat shrink. When I do I will take some pics of it for you. The LED light was received from Sunpie with the ring already attached. I additionally put trim rings on it and it looks good to me. Maybe Kit has pics already???

Old 04-16-2018, 07:42 PM
Phil_R
Cruiser

Let me explain further..... I bought the HD accessory extended trim rings for the passing lamps and the headlight even before I bought the Sunpie LED light kit. The passing lamps went on fine even though the new passing lamp trim rings are tight around the LED passing lamps. I believe that the regular passing lamps will also be tight in the new trim rings. They did go on fine with a little effort holding them tight against the passing lamp housings as I tightened the securing screws on the bottom of the rings. You do not reuse the original passing lamp rings!
With the LED headlight install, I actually had the front of the batwing fairing off the bike. Now I realize I would not of had to take it off. I took the screw out of the bottom of the OEM chrome trim ring and lifted the trim ring up and off the lamp assembly. I then removed the 4 screws that hold the support assembly or what I would call headlight holder out and took the halogen light out of the fairing. Be careful so it does not fall on your front fender if you do this with the fairing on the bike. I then had a fairing with just the headlight hole on a rug on the shop floor. I put the Sunpie LED headlight and the assembly ring in the fairing (they come already together) and put back in the 4 screws to secure it.
Then, I took the original trim ring that is secured with the one screw on the bottom on and realized that the hole in the Sunpie assembly was not threaded and a slight bit bigger that the hole in the original headlight assembly ring. I grabbed a small tap and threaded the hole. I then went through my screw box and found one to fit. I then slightly enlarged the hole in the bottom of the original trim ring and secured it around the new LED light.
Then, I loosened the ring slightly again, put the new HD trim ring around (and behind) the old trim ring, rotated it so the opening is at the bottom just slightly wider than the screw in the original trim ring, tightened that original trim ring screw, and then put in the bottom screw that pulls the sides of the new accessory extended ring together. Then I snugged that screw as well.
I hope this makes sense. The new accessory extended trim ring back lip for the headlight MUST fit behind the old trim ring. It has to be used to work as intended.
Does this make sense???
Phil

Old 04-16-2018, 08:01 PM
Phil_R
Cruiser

I will try to attach pics:

Attached Thumbnails Sunpie LED light Install-20180416_194730_resized.jpg   Sunpie LED light Install-20180416_194751_resized.jpg   Sunpie LED light Install-20180416_194801_resized.jpg   Sunpie LED light Install-20180416_194826_resized.jpg   Sunpie LED light Install-20180416_194856_resized.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
leadman (02-06-2021)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:10 AM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice wight up Phil. The Sunpie I bought, also from Amazon came with the head light attached to the mounting plate. I ran into the same issue with the trim ring mounting hole at the bottom as not threaded. When I put my original trim ring over the mounting plate it was too large even when I used a self-taping screw. I ended up using the OEM head light backing mount. I used a hand grinder and cut out some of the backing tin enough so the Sunpie head light would fit. Then reinstalled. It looks just like stock LED's. Mine did not come with instructions per-se. I also discovered that the 4" spots had to be connected just right because the connector can be installed up-side-down. You have to make sure the positive red wire aligns with the grey positive wire. Other than that, it was a fairly easy install.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:26 AM
destination highway
Road Master
Received 1,619 Likes on 437 Posts

Wow, that's a lot of messing around for parts that are designed to fit specific year bikes. So I'm guessing it's no coincidence that both of you guys had trim rings that weren't threaded..they all must be like that? Or does Sunpie have that poor of quality control? It must be asking too much to have stuff fit properly

Thanks Phil for that excellent follow up and the pics..really appreciate it. The Sunpie seems like an economical way to satisfy my desire for led's up front.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:18 AM
HM_SanDiego
Road Captain

Received 238 Likes on 174 Posts

I also installed the Sunpie headlight and passing lamp set on my 99 RK. I read quite a bit, and it is written fairly widely that when reinstalling with the new headlight backing ring, that the bottom hole is not threaded, and is larger than the oem backing headlight mounting ring-bracket.

That said, all I had to do was find a slightly larger screw before I put stuff together, and had no issues after that. I only needed to snug down the new backing ring screws which literally pull the headlight into the bucket snugly, allowing the trim ring of choice to be installed over the new headlight.

I did run into something similar to the OP, in that, my lights have the visors, and the headlight with the visor had been previously installed with 3m tape securing the visor to the oem headlight. When I installed the Sunpie led headlight, I decided to try it without the tape - so far so good.

I love the lights!

Last edited by HM_SanDiego; 04-17-2018 at 11:20 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sunpie LED light Install