Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fairing mounted gps

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 04:17 AM
mrsnipy
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default fairing mounted gps

I want to add a GPS to my ultra but don't want to pay the price of the Harley Garmin. what are my choices any input helpful

Old 06-06-2018, 04:26 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,664 Likes on 6,424 Posts

The only logical choice is a Garmin Zumo. And the best place to mount it is the bar with the HD handlebar mount kit.

But I suspect this is not what you want to hear. So with that I will add just get a phone mount such as RAM and use a smartphone that you probably already have?

BTW, HD didn't use Garmin Zumo units for any other reason than they are designed for motorcycles. You can get a very nice one now for about $400.00 and never have to worry about the weather or vibration affecting it. Just rock solid and lifetime map updates for free are a big bonus.

Last edited by nobodyknowsme; 06-06-2018 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:34 AM
caulk04
Road Master
Received 222 Likes on 162 Posts

Agreed, buy a nice mount and use your phone.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:21 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsnipy
I want to add a GPS to my ultra but don't want to pay the price of the Harley Garmin. what are my choices any input helpful
I have a Garmin 590 (non-HD) and use a RAM mount on my handlebars. It is waterproof. I plan and run custom routes using Basecamp.

Mounting setup similar to this:

If you're not a hardcore map user (planning/running custom routes or managing/leading big rides for groups of people) phone may work, but, personally would not want to put my phone on my bars for multiple reasons- rain, dirt/dust getting into the unit, having it fly off the bars while riding (have seen that happen). Too much personal data on my phone to use it in that manner. YMMV

Old 06-07-2018, 06:01 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Im about to try this device, on its way. Its a Windows CE device that loads free navigation apps from various places and inexpensive compared to major suppliers. Seems to have all needs covered; waterproof, handlebar mount, power cables and sun shroud. Let you know how it works out. Ive been using an old garmin I had laying around but cant see in bright light.

fairing mounted gps-screenshot_2018-06-07-17-49-56.png

Old 06-08-2018, 06:28 AM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 880 Likes on 382 Posts

I use the Kuryakan Fairing Mount. Works great with my phone which I use for my GPS. Google Maps.
Should work fine for any GPS unit as well.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:42 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by GregGillette
Im about to try this device, on its way. Its a Windows CE device that loads free navigation apps from various places and inexpensive compared to major suppliers. Seems to have all needs covered; waterproof, handlebar mount, power cables and sun shroud. Let you know how it works out. Ive been using an old garmin I had laying around but cant see in bright light.

Attachment 594498
I'd appreciate an update once you've used it awhile. Can you create and load custom routes into it?

Old 06-08-2018, 10:03 AM
Cofltrx124
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The smartphone would work right up to the point when you lose cell signal, where I ride 90% of the time. Go to Yellow Stone, don't plan on using your phone, I was just down to the Back of the Dragon in VA, trying to use my phone to check the weather radar, not happening. I have the HD Zumo 660 mounted to handle bars with a RAM mount. I use a map of the state, I'm in, to set up routes using intersections. I can go to a place I've never been and hit all the good roads like I've lived there my whole life, without any cell signal needed period.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:31 PM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 880 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Cofltrx124
The smartphone would work right up to the point when you lose cell signal, where I ride 90% of the time. Go to Yellow Stone, don't plan on using your phone, I was just down to the Back of the Dragon in VA, trying to use my phone to check the weather radar, not happening. I have the HD Zumo 660 mounted to handle bars with a RAM mount. I use a map of the state, I'm in, to set up routes using intersections. I can go to a place I've never been and hit all the good roads like I've lived there my whole life, without any cell signal needed period.
There is one way around this. With Google Maps you can download the map to your cell phone and if you lose cell service Google Maps will still navigate using GPS.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:18 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Cofltrx124
As long as you're using a navigation app that stores maps on the device, no cell signal needed for navigation. Google maps can do this, Copilot and here we go (among others) only work that way.

Quick Reply: fairing mounted gps