Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmet

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 01:09 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 479 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
While I do like the looks of it, the weight is the biggest factor and it seems that actual reviews of the helmet all seem to sing the praises of it. Some of those reviews are coming from riders that wore the other brands mentioned. What other options would you recommend lightweight, good performing helmets?
I'll just say I don't know one person that's went from a Simpson to something else and wanted to go back to a Simpson.

Shoei and Arai are always top notch...I'd also look at Shark, the high end Bells, and Suomoy. Websites should list their weights if thats your main concern.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:11 PM
Cruisineasy1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both, full face modular when it gets too cold and a small "skull cap". Some times on cold mornings, I bring both. Wear the full face into work, the "skull cap" on the way home. Only thing that sucks the full face doesn't it in the bags or trunk..

Old 07-20-2018, 01:18 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

I use a Shoei RF1000 full face with an aftermarket Sena intercom and speakers. Some general comments on full face lids...

Pros of Full Face:
- Offer the most safety
- Available with Bluetooth for intercom and mobile phone connectivity for GPS navigation, calls, music, etc.
- Don't need need to purchase additional goggles or protective eyewear
- Can be equipped with an electric/heated shield for snowmobiling in winter

Cons of Full Face:
- Heavier than open face helmets, can strain neck when worn for extended periods
- Can be stifling on hot days
- Flip-up/modular type have more seams and are generally heavier and noisier than one-piece full face helmets
- Hold odors, look for removable/washable padding
- Vision is somewhat limited--not as great a range of vision as an open-face

Old 07-20-2018, 01:21 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by 702
I have this one = https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...modular-helmet

I like that it can be flipped up for ease of putting in on/taking it off. Flip it up at stop lights or when going slow for cooling. It also has 2 vents that can be opened for cooling when needed. Vision is good too. And it has a drop down sun visor built in.
+1 I use this same one. Fits my goofy head really well, vented well. I rode through a nearly full day of rain last week and there were no leaks around the shield.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:35 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,651 Likes on 2,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Puglia10
I'll just say I don't know one person that's went from a Simpson to something else and wanted to go back to a Simpson.

Shoei and Arai are always top notch...I'd also look at Shark, the high end Bells, and Suomoy. Websites should list their weights if thats your main concern.
I've been looking at the other brands mentioned, but they all seem to be roughly a pound heavier than the Simpson.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:42 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

I use a Bell Vortex.

I run without a shield unless it's raining and I love this helmet.

I've changed out the cheek pads and it's comfy, I really enjoy it and have found I wear it all the time now (I have a Bell Rogue that was supposed to be my summer helmet).

It's also Snell approved.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:16 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
I use a Bell Vortex.

I run without a shield unless it's raining and I love this helmet.

I've changed out the cheek pads and it's comfy, I really enjoy it and have found I wear it all the time now (I have a Bell Rogue that was supposed to be my summer helmet).

It's also Snell approved.

Bunker: I am not at all a Bell fan, but that one has a pretty neat blend of retro and modern to it. Not bad.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:49 PM
Kay9Cop
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Had a Nolan N104 and then a Shoei Neotec. The Neotec is great, but heavy. This year I went to an AGV Carbon Sportmodular. Super light, good peripheral vision, and is one of only two modulars (the Neotec is the other) that passed CE frontal impact tests without popping open. Rode from Alaska to Wisconsin with it and love it. I leave the clear face shield open and keep the sunglasses down. The modular was nice for quickly opening and getting bees and/or bugs out. Good airflow with the full face shield open in hot weather.

Last edited by Kay9Cop; 07-20-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:50 PM
SPR
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gone through a few over the years but the Bell Bullitt has been the best fit for my slightly oval head shape ... beautifully finished and you can get different thickness cheek pads for a perfect fit ... only downside is it isn't the quietest helmet around

The following users liked this post:
Livewire69 (07-29-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 07:27 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

I just bought a new HJC modular last week. The difference between similar sized and shaped helmets isn't much different then trying on different shoes in a size 10. I'm lucky that Dennis Kirk is not far away and I was able to try a number of different models and manufacturers until I found one I liked. I will say the difference between my old modular and the new one are like night and day. Prices are all over as well. I'd really urge you to try on as many different helmets as possible before making a choice.

Quick Reply: Full face helmet