Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmet

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:34 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcarso1
well I think my new helmet is gonna be a full face. Can you full face riders out there give me your pros and cons of the helmets your using and maybe some pics? I know that weight is my major concern right now and a helmet with the best perifferal view is really important!
Shoei GT Air, the drop down sun glasses make it worth the money

The following 2 users liked this post by Neggy ZRXOA 5248:
Bikerpipes (07-28-2018), Friedl (07-15-2019)
Old 07-20-2018, 10:09 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm on my third HJC helmet. I just like how they fit me. I started with a CL15, then a CL16 and now a CL17. I get about 5 years out of them and then the inner padding starts to break down. It's easy to tell when it starts to break down as the helmet starts to fit much looser. They say 5 years is all you should use a helmet for so it's worked out fine for me.

I take the visor off and wear riding glasses. I've never like the closed in feeling I get with the visor but I do have in the saddlebag in case of rain.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:14 AM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Received 1,076 Likes on 450 Posts

I went with a Shoei Neotec (modular) this spring and can't really find anything bad about it, other than the price. But I bought it right before the Neotec 2 came out and it was on clearance for $499, so even that was not as bad as it could have been. I looked at the full-face (non-modular) models but really like to be able to flip the chin bar up for more air flow in stop and go traffic in the heat.

I also considered the HJC RPHA since I have an HJC 3/4 helmet that I like. I have a Bell Revolver (modular) also that is at the lower end of the pricing (under $200) and it is OK, but definitely heavier and noisier. The biggest con for me on the Bell is it just doesn't fit my head - it is more round vs my oval head. After 30 minutes I have a pressure spot on my forehead and start getting a headache.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:11 AM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

well I think my new helmet is gonna be a full face. Can you full face riders out there give me your pros and cons of the helmets your using and maybe some pics? I know that weight is my major concern right now and a helmet with the best perifferal view is really important!
I have a Shoei Neotec 2. Nice helmet, flip up. Any full face on a touring bike is noisy and hot. I wear earplugs every time I ride and mid summer is absolute bitch. I carry a half helmet for the days that are unbearable. I like he wind / eye protection. Buffeting happens more also.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:41 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

always shop by FIT brands or models dont matter near as much as fit. if it doesnt fit u, u wont wear it long. hit the large shows and event try em all on till ya find the best fit for u.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:58 PM
Midnight Z71
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been on Harley-Davidson for years and ALWAYS ride with full face helmets. They are uncool. I know. One of the big reasons is less fatigue. The type of riding that I do often means 6-8 hours in the saddle. Lots of interstate at times. Even with a windscreen a helmet cuts down on the jet-stream mashing against your face. It's a personal decision, but I feel fresher on multiple day rides with a full-face.

Also during night rides through the back roads of VA and WV the full-face is an excellent barrier against the swarms of insects.

I typically ride with a matte black Arai Corsair V.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:20 PM
slvdout
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I wear a Ghost Bandit....light weight, good circulation, good aerodynamics and the best looking by far.
Full face helmet-lhwpvu5.jpg
Full face helmet-43hnkcq.jpg
Attachment 619801

Old 07-25-2018, 05:36 PM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,186 Likes on 2,254 Posts

Shuberth C3 Pro with Sena integrated blue tooth headset add-on. Has internal sun guard and can take out internal padding for washing. I'm happy with it and my only helmet.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:45 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

My philosophy is FF or nothing at all. I wear prescription glasses and removing my helmet is no problem at all or putting it on. Comfort wise city or out in the rural roads nothing is more comfortable or cooler. Yes the FF helmet protects you from not just the sun but radiation heat from the road. I never get a sunburned head or nose with my Shoei RF-SR with dark shield. My half helmets which i rarely wear are not cooler on a hot summer day. Some are a fan of modular helmets but i'm not. They are in most cases are noisier and not as protective. I honestly wear a FF helmet more for comfort than safety reasons. I started riding at 14 wearing FF helmets and well 42 years later simply just prefer them. I run the stock shield on my 15RGS so its also a protection factor.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:57 PM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
My philosophy is FF or nothing at all. I wear prescription glasses and removing my helmet is no problem at all or putting it on. Comfort wise city or out in the rural roads nothing is more comfortable or cooler. Yes the FF helmet protects you from not just the sun but radiation heat from the road. I never get a sunburned head or nose with my Shoei RF-SR with dark shield.
Actually the CW1 shield on the Shoei protects from sunburn whether it’s dark or clear. Mine is clear and it’s just like being behind my car windshield. I agree the helmet is very comfortable but sometimes I still can’t resist going topless. I love the feeling of the wind in my face, all my senses fully engaged, the sound of my pipes, etc. I have a few different helmets and, like you, only wear my Shoei ff. But I bought it because I’m trying to force myself to wear a helmet. Riding without one is almost like an addiction. Hard hard habit to break.

The following users liked this post:
Wildon883R (09-02-2018)

Quick Reply: Full face helmet