Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Grips Always On...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 04:49 PM
aufirefighter1
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Grips Always On...

This is a bit different from the other few heated grip threads....

My grip heaters just decided to run full blast a few days ago and they haven't cut off yet. I didn't do anything to my handlebars....all stock. The grips are stock on a 2013 Ultra Limited. The **** is turned off.....and has been all summer. Almost too hot to ride with summer gloves. I assume that the control **** has shorted internally. Any opinions? Does this mean replacing the left grip or something more intrusive? Can I wire into the unused accessory switch on the dash and use it? I am about to figure out what fuse runs them and pull it.

I have been getting some charging problems on the bike that I'm trying to narrow down to either the generator or the voltage regulator.....but they have been sporadic, and started well before this heater problem.

Thanks for any assistance,

aufirefighter1 in Dothan, AL

Old 09-21-2018, 05:14 PM
woodthumb2
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

yep.. probably the reastat which as u know is in the left grip..but..............i have the same bike and had problems with mine heating on and off for several months... then, the charging began to go nuts whenever i used them... voltage would drop to 10 then back to 14 when grips were turned off... when my engine and batt lights came on a few times with them on i decided to replace them with the same harley grips...dealer did for one hour labor.... but problem did not clear until i changed out the VR... harley oem.. all good now... maybe i should have done the VR first ?? stranger things............

Old 09-21-2018, 07:06 PM
aufirefighter1
Stage IV

I guess you can't use the word k n o b on this forum.....maybe the dial that adjusts the reostat is more appropriate. I'm thinking that I will go back with a CE generator and rectifying regulator and just replace both of them.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

As with all electrical problems, you need to do some diagnosis first. Could be a ground, due to a damaged wire by-passing the switch, which can be easy to fix, so check the wiring and twist-grip side for any obvious signs of damage.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:18 AM
aufirefighter1
Stage IV

There's no damage to the handle. I'll check continuity on the wires later.....which probably means when my hands start getting cold in a couple months. I've still got to get to the diag on my charging system, but with the up and down I'm seeing on the volt meter, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be replacing both the generator and VR.

au

Old 11-10-2018, 05:13 PM
aufirefighter1
Stage IV
Default Diagnostic complete

Finally had time to diagnose my charging issue. VR is quite bad. 11 volts on each pin of the stator plug (on VR). I'll be ordering one of those shortly. Generator has good voltage. Battery good. Held charge for last 3 weeks since I stopped riding it due to almost losing lights one night.

No luck on heated grips yet. Continuity is good on right grip. Trying to figure out how to check the rheostat on left grip.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:29 PM
woodthumb2
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

i am gonna reach a little here and guess replacing your VR will solve your heated grip deal... based on my past experience with this same problem i am now thinkin i should have changed out my VR BEFORE i changed my grips.... suggest doing that and see what happens... good luck....

Old 11-10-2018, 07:21 PM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

That were i would be right now changing the VR prior to changing my grips.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:24 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,300 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Trying to think of a way a bad VR could turn your grips on and am drawing a blank, but i've seen stranger things. I'm thinking the switch shorted closed.

If the VR doesn't cure the Heated grips disconnect connector 189 and check continuity between the wires going to the left grip. I don't have a 2013 Elect. manual but 2010 says the grips on high draw about 3 amps. Measuring ohms on the wires going to left grips you should see 12/3=4ohm on max open on off.

Last edited by Vernal; 11-11-2018 at 09:27 AM.