Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Compensator

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:46 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Personally, the best of all words is a Belt drive .
You get rid of 30 plus pounds of slinging weight.!
Thay alone is a step in the right direction and gets rid of the rubber sprocket.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:51 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

I've been running a 30T Evolution Industries solid sprocket for a few years now. I also have an S&S flywheel and a large displacement engine.

Anyway, it's only at slower speeds and when I'm just keeping the throttle slightly open that I can feel any difference between a solid sprocket and the stock compensator. It's not enough that I would switch back. And like you, the shop that built my engine recommended it for my application.

I wouldn't hesitate, as long as the rest of the components are up to it.

The following users liked this post:
1 2 many (12-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2018, 09:14 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
I've been running a 30T Evolution Industries solid sprocket for a few years now. I also have an S&S flywheel and a large displacement engine.

Anyway, it's only at slower speeds and when I'm just keeping the throttle slightly open that I can feel any difference between a solid sprocket and the stock compensator. It's not enough that I would switch back. And like you, the shop that built my engine recommended it for my application.

I wouldn't hesitate, as long as the rest of the components are up to it.
Interested to know what that difference is you feel at those speeds?

Old 11-12-2018, 09:23 PM
wharfcreek
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Kingglide549, I don't know what kind of experience you have with belt drive primary drives, but I can tell you that I would rather sacrifice HP over dealing with those things again. While the manufacturers of them all indicate their ability to transmit the high HP developed by some 'big' motors, the overall reliability of these things simply is NOT where it should be as far as I'm concerned. And, as someone who rides a lot and has been for over 50 years, 'reliability' is pretty important to me. Ever break down in the middle of no-where......and realize that the 'after-market' stuff you thought was so cool was really just not all that well engineered or made? I have!! It's no fun! This is not to say that HD's stuff can't be improved on, and I think one area is the Compensator, particularly on some of the motors made in like '07 and '08....'pre' SE compensator and not only bigger from an overall displacement and power perspective, but also being 'stroker' motors to some degree, motors where the compensator appears to take a real beating!! Clearly this is proof that the compensator is doing something!!! The question is whether or not it's really a necessary function, or just a 'weak link' in the overall engineering objectives of the motor company? I'm dealing with it now on my '07 UC, with only 25K miles, but also on my '01 Fatboy at 65K and with some significant engine work done. Am I going to go to a solid compensator? Probably! Right now I'm more concerned about the lame gearing choice HD used on my '07 UC....and how to best address that! But, let's face it; these compensators do have a purpose, but it's probably one that if bypassed won't hurt anything unless you're REALLY 'unlucky'!! Primary chain tensioners are perhaps as much of a potential issue as the compensator! And then there's those damn chain driven cams with spring tensioners!! Sometimes you really do have to wonder just WTF those guys at HD are thinking!!! FWIW.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:55 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

In all of his posts, the OP never mentioned what bike he has. If he has one with the isolated rear pulley, he will probably notice little change. With the solid mount rear pulley, there may be noticeable harshness.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:09 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Torpedo1

Interested to know what that difference is you feel at those speeds?
Sometimes, if I really pay attention to if, I can feel the slightest of a rhythmic lunge/pulse. It’s very subtle, but it’s there. Not enough that I wish I hadn’t done it. It’s not bad, just different.

Again, it’s only at lower speeds with very little throttle input.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Biggest downside to going solid comp in a later bike is increased risk of scissoring the crank. The twinkies and M8's have such a high ratio in the primary gearing and enough HP output the spring loaded compensator does a big job of absorbing torque & shock loads, eliminate that and something else gives sooner or later, why the comps go out of these things so regular.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-12-2018 at 10:29 PM.
lp (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 05:34 AM
Torpedo1
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
In all of his posts, the OP never mentioned what bike he has. If he has one with the isolated rear pulley, he will probably notice little change. With the solid mount rear pulley, there may be noticeable harshness.
09 Road King

Old 11-13-2018, 07:02 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Biggest downside to going solid comp in a later bike is increased risk of scissoring the crank. The twinkies and M8's have such a high ratio in the primary gearing and enough HP output the spring loaded compensator does a big job of absorbing torque & shock loads, eliminate that and something else gives sooner or later, why the comps go out of these things so regular.
If this is true, not arguing here, as IDK,
BUT if it is true -
The crank is a POS

1 2 many (12-12-2019)
Old 11-13-2018, 08:04 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

The comp is essentially a spring for the crank...remove your rear shocks and put solid struts on the back and you'll feel the difference. I highly doubt you'll feel anything w/ solid in there, but your crank will w/ harsh & aggressive riding style. As we all know the stock HD crank sucks and needs to be trued, balanced, welded, or replaced, then reinforced with Timkin conversion to make it good (around $1,500 dumped into it). Again, it all comes down to your riding style.

It cushions the blow to the crank in hard riding and yah engine pulse BS. As mentioned in few posts above by eliminating it more of the force will go down the line. Not as much worry with a built lower end (Timkin conversion and beefy wheels/rods).

I could have gone solid, but chose the Baker comp on my previous Dyna and it's an awesome part. In talking to Baker at that time they do recommend in going to a solid at 130 HP+ (been a while so don't quote me on exact HP number), but at that much HP owners have the bottom end worked on.

Quick Reply: Solid Compensator