Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACR's and clean up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 04:16 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 656 Posts
Default ACR's and clean up.

I would like to add ACR's and while the heads are off the bike I might as well do some mild porting.

What kind of work would go well with 48H cams? Would .030 head gasket to bump up CR be a bad idea with 48's? Not trying to do anything big just want to put the best combo together.

I'm assuming ACR's will help with hot starts? Already upgraded to SE compensator but hot starts still have something to be desired.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:25 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,196 Likes on 658 Posts

I cant tell you about the head work but i can give a little about a compression release. My chainsaw has one. I know its not a bike but its still an internal combustion engine. If i forget to hit the release i can barely get it to pull. If im fully committed and do get one cycle out of it, im not getting the second. I think the release is awesome. If i think its awesome, im sure your starter will too.

The following users liked this post:
23Seven (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 06:30 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member

Releases are probably a no brainer.

After a little homework it looks like a .030 gasket would bump up my CR to around 9.5:1 which would give me a little more power and still be compatible with my 48’s. This makes sense as folks using 48’s in stock 103’s are showing good results with similar compression.

Now I need to see how much this will set me back if I do all the labor except for machining. Might just go with manual releases instead of ACR’s.

Is it just me or is there something a little cool about pushin compression releases before hitting the started? Kinda old school like adjusting the timing just right before kicking over a Panhead... maybe not that cool but still pretty cool. LOL

Old 01-06-2019, 07:46 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member

Lol, watch out for burns.

23Seven (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 07:58 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

It may actually be cheaper to get some used 103 heads already set up for ARCs and sell your heads than having your heads machined for them (S&S easy starts are another option). Either way I would think about more cam if ya are getting the heads worked. Talk to a few good head guys and listen to them.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 01-06-2019 at 08:01 PM.
todd-67 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 08:37 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
It may actually be cheaper to get some used 103 heads already set up for ARCs and sell your heads than having your heads machined for them (S&S easy starts are another option). Either way I would think about more cam if ya are getting the heads worked. Talk to a few good head guys and listen to them.
I didn’t want to get too crazy with building on the stock bottom end. Really just want to put less stress inside the primary on hot starts. Figured if I had the heads off I would clean em up and switch to a .030.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:49 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 235 Likes on 144 Posts

If you're that far you could have a 103 for about $400, probably a better bang for the $ than head porting, or due both. I'd just do manual CRs should be about $200, gaskets about $100 & mild porting about $500 would make a sweet running ride.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:37 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

I Know Not, but ….

Having my heads drilled for ACRs, the valves reseated, and new valve seals installed cost me about 5 bills. (no porting, but they installed the ACRs too.)

That does not include the wiring.

I chose ACRs because I don’t think it is cool to push on manual CRs, just cheaper, and it is not old school, just old technology.

But some are so used to manuals that it is second nature and would not have it any other way.
That is their choice and I am not knocking it.

If I were to do it again I would look at picking up a set of good 103 heads and send them off to be ported and new valves, springs, seals, etc. installed. That could be done with the bike still on the road.
(BTW, I had a problem with a weak stock spring which showed up a while after putting everything together, which is why I would suggest changing them while everything is apart.)

Just keep in mind, a lot of people have their bikes laid up for the winter and are doing similar things before riding season, so it make take a while for the heads to get back to you.

And BTW, as my friend kept pointing out to me when we pulled my heads to do the ACRs, those jugs come off real easy at that point …now I have a 107 ... Just saying.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:53 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member

Damn Harley’s.

It starts with thinking about Compression Release and then the while I’m in there discussion begins.

Really just want some releases added and maybe the .030 when reassembling. Why? I want better hot starts.

Fast Forward... When this build grenades:

- Dark Horse for a bullet proof bottom end.

- 117” or Bigger / Cams / Clutch

- Port Polish Heads

I want that build to be around 120/120 and rock solid.

Until then I want just a little more because I’m not sure how much the crank can take.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:55 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member

Ya, but why do 90% of the work amd the money for 50% of the end result.

Quick Reply: ACR's and clean up.