Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:54 AM
dblak
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension upgrade

Improve suspension for M8 ultra limited, my 2018 suffers with poor handling particularly when two up and on rough roads. The rear end in particular has a tendency to bottom out no matter how hard preload is set. What have other riders done to overcome this defect?
Harley really should be ashamed that their suspension is so inadequate particularly when their direct competition (Indian) has got it so right. I purchased my bike from new and have spent quite a bit of money making refinements to the suspension with Pro-action rear shocks and legend drop in cartridge units up front. These upgrades have made a difference and my ride seems much safer now. Just annoyed that I had too go to this expense. The M8 motor is a cracker and Harley got that right. Let me know your solutions to the suspension issue or if you feel the suspension is passable?

Last edited by dblak; 03-05-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Edited due to lack of reading comprehension.

I didnt see that you already upgraded your suspension which is the answer to your question. What did we do? Upgraded the same as you did lol.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 03-05-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hello old chap from the UK. If you spend a little time in HDF you will find that there are countless threads all around on this subject - it is very popular and goes back decades! In the last couple of years some significantly better quality aftermarket suspension brands have become available to us Harley owners, the longest-running being Ohlins, which I personally have. My Buell XB12R Firebolt has fully adjustable suspension front and rear, as had my FXDXT T-Sport from 2003, so H-D knows how to do this properly, but plainly chooses not to do so. At the very least their CVO models should come stock with the equivalent of Ohlins' top-shelf suspension IMHO.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:21 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

I agree about the inferiority of HD suspension components. One of the first things I did to my 2017 RGS was install Ohlins shocks and Ohlins fork cartridges. Best upgrade yet.

The following users liked this post:
Neggy ZRXOA 5248 (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 12:39 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I agree about the inferiority of HD suspension components. One of the first things I did to my 2017 RGS was install Ohlins shocks and Ohlins fork cartridges. Best upgrade yet.
A very wise choice - probably the best available to us at present!

Old 03-05-2019, 02:31 PM
Cossack84
Tourer
Received 132 Likes on 82 Posts

What’s your combined weight?

Old 03-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,658 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Originally Posted by dblak
Improve suspension for M8 ultra limited, my 2018 suffers with poor handling particularly when two up and on rough roads. The rear end in particular has a tendency to bottom out no matter how hard preload is set. What have other riders done to overcome this defect?
Harley really should be ashamed that their suspension is so inadequate particularly when their direct competition (Indian) has got it so right. I purchased my bike from new and have spent quite a bit of money making refinements to the suspension with Pro-action rear shocks and legend drop in cartridge units up front. These upgrades have made a difference and my ride seems much safer now. Just annoyed that I had too go to this expense. The M8 motor is a cracker and Harley got that right. Let me know your solutions to the suspension issue or if you feel the suspension is passable?

You think the suspension on a Limited is bad, you should try a Street or Road Glide (no you shouldn't). Even less travel to work with.

Having experienced what a touring bike suspension can be (on my Triumph Trophy) I agree the Harley rear shocks aren't up to the task. I will be installing Legend Revo-A's before the riding season begins.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:10 PM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
A very wise choice - probably the best available to us at present!
I would argue that!! I think Pro Action is the best available to us at present.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:01 PM
Hawg Runner
Road Master
Received 382 Likes on 233 Posts

If the rear shocks are 12 inch, you might need 13's

Old 03-05-2019, 08:02 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

I purchased my bike from new and have spent quite a bit of money making refinements to the suspension with Pro-action rear shocks and legend drop in cartridge units up front.

I agree with your post, as I did the same as you have. It’s a shame the bike comes factory with the crummy suspension.

Quick Reply: suspension upgrade