Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadside tire repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 07:26 AM
thefirstbigone
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for all the replies on this. I believe I’m going to go with the Dynaplug pro kit and the tiny Slime compressor. After talking with a couple of people and a local independent that does a lot of tire work I’ve decided against anything like Ride on due to the mess and possable corrosion.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:35 AM
Steve N,
Road Captain
Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by internet troll
I put myself thru college working at several tire change shops. Every single 'fix a flat' type of compound I ever worked with creates a gooey mess inside your tire. Ive seen rim corrosion from this stuff and Ive seen sealing problems after its use. You honestly have to wire brush the entire rim after its use, and that in and of itself can cause sealing issues.
Not to dispute your experience, but I wonder if it might not include Ride On. I would totally agree with you with regards to other sealants, especially "Slime", However, Ride On remains on the contact patch area (hence it won't repair a sidewall puncture) and it does not create the mess/corrosion that the other sealants do.

For anyone considering Ride On, just make sure to follow the simple instructions and amounts to use according to tire size. You'll need three bottles for a touring bike. And as SWThomas mentioned, it is also designed as a tire balancer.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:37 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

Ride on and such may work in a tube. Depends greatly on the tube. If it’s large enough to fill the tire and not be stretched, and thick enough, and of a good quality rubber, you’ll get a hole that the likes of a sealant may be able to seal.

But, many a tube ruptures when punctured. Long tears radiating out from the initial puncture point. A sealant cannot fix this.

Even with a good tube and a neat puncture, if the nail is left there, there is constant motion of that nail with each tire rotation. While this works against the sealant in a tire, it works against the sealant in s tube even harder.

There are a few techniques or devices to eliminate the tube in s conventional spoked tire. I’ve no personal experience with them.

one is sealing the spokes and nipples in the rim trough with the likes of 5200, or even silicone caulk.

another is by using a special mini tube to seal the spokes and nipples in the rim trough.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:44 AM
Sethc1020
Tourer
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve N,
Not to dispute your experience, but I wonder if it might not include Ride On. I would totally agree with you with regards to other sealants, especially "Slime", However, Ride On remains on the contact patch area (hence it won't repair a sidewall puncture) and it does not create the mess/corrosion that the other sealants do.

For anyone considering Ride On, just make sure to follow the simple instructions and amounts to use according to tire size. You'll need three bottles for a touring bike. And as SWThomas mentioned, it is also designed as a tire balancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDIyZeZ4PY8&t=79s
Very very interesting! Never heard of this before but it looks like some awesome stuff.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:20 AM
Steve N,
Road Captain
Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Sethc1020
Very very interesting! Never heard of this before but it looks like some awesome stuff.
When I was doing my research, i found there are a TON of guys on these forums that use and swear by it. Watching that video convinced me to give it a shot.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:09 AM
Sethc1020
Tourer
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve N,
When I was doing my research, i found there are a TON of guys on these forums that use and swear by it. Watching that video convinced me to give it a shot.
I agree, I think Im going to give it a try. Where do you find this stuff, Is there anywhere here in the states that carry it?

Old 03-18-2019, 10:45 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a nice Co2 inflation device that works great and always have it on the bike. Also have a rubber plug kit. I also have a small SLIME compressor that really works well BUT several years ago discovered RIDE -ON tire sealant and balancer and I can tell you this stuff really works as I have had more than one puncture I never knew I had until inspecting the tires and one time when installing new tires discovered nails sticking inside of tire I never saw. Not only does it stop a flat but the tire is always balanced great product..
Now let the naysayers squawk

The following users liked this post:
gdt3 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 05:26 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by thefirstbigone
Thanks for all the replies on this. I believe I’m going to go with the Dynaplug pro kit and the tiny Slime compressor. After talking with a couple of people and a local independent that does a lot of tire work I’ve decided against anything like Ride on due to the mess and possable corrosion.
That's basically the system I travel with.
1. AAA Plus RV
2. Dynaplug Pro Aluminum
3. Slime Power Sport Tire Inflator (40001)

Old 03-18-2019, 05:39 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Sethc1020
I agree, I think Im going to give it a try. Where do you find this stuff, Is there anywhere here in the states that carry it?
Cycle Gear carries it. But I don’t live close to one so I buy it on Amazon. They sell different kinds so make sure it’s the one for motorcycles.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:43 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
I think SWThomas is correct, although I've yet to use Ride On with any of my motorcycles for fear of gumming up the inside of the rims. (I have contemplated trying some Balancing beads though). I do know that you can put Slime in inner tubes because I used to put it in my mountain bikes back in the day. worked great for thorns and crap.
Ride On does get on the inside of the wheel, but it’s non-corrosive and cleans up easily with water. I just had some tires pulled off my stock wheels to do a chrome exchange. With a hose and a tire brush my wheels were clean in minutes. I make sure to warn my tire guy beforehand so he knows before he dismounts the tires.

Quick Reply: Roadside tire repair