Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadside tire repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:27 PM
Musician
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts

I used slime. Once. The cleanup of the rim was ridiculous. I use ride-on now, and have had no problems with the wheel needing to be cleaned any extra amount because of the sealer. The product was in the carcass of the tire, where it would do the most good if you picked up a nail. Just to be super sure, I also carry a mushroom type plug kit, a small compressor, along with the co2 thing. Carry them all in a small zippered container, and it takes up very little space in my saddlebag. Haven't needed any of them on a trip for myself, but I've helped others with flats, and no way to fix them.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:32 AM
Steve N,
Road Captain
Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Sethc1020
I agree, I think Im going to give it a try. Where do you find this stuff, Is there anywhere here in the states that carry it?
I'm sorry for the delay in my response, but I've been at work.... It's pretty popular, so you might find it at a local aftermarket parts/accessories shop. Mine carries it in stock, and I live in Canada - that hardly ever happens lol. I'm pretty sure that you could find it on Amazon, Ebay etc if you use those.

If you want to find an actual Ride On Dealer, just go here and enter your location. You might you might have to click the zoom out button when the map appears.
https://www.ride-on.com/us/dealers

Old 03-21-2019, 07:24 AM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,256 Likes on 1,096 Posts

I ride a 2018 FLHCS (Heritage) with spoked wheels. Love the look but concerned about flats. Carrying a bottle of Slime for tubes, a slime mini-compressor. If it doesn't work, I have AMA and private towing insurance. I also carry spare tubes on a long trip; you never know if you can get them same day when/where a flat happens.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:29 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Skayy
Hello,

is there any possible solution for tube tires? I have a RKC with WW and Tubes.

Thanks much, Kai
I have heard of a process that applies a coating to the inside of spoke rims that allows you to use tubeless tires but cannot remember what it’s called. A little research online should be able to find it.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:33 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
I have heard of a process that applies a coating to the inside of spoke rims that allows you to use tubeless tires but cannot remember what it’s called. A little research online should be able to find it.
Here is one.
https://www.streetchopperweb.com/tubeless-spoke-wheels

Old 03-22-2019, 09:36 PM
internet troll
Road Master
Received 683 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve N,
Not to dispute your experience, but I wonder if it might not include Ride On. I would totally agree with you with regards to other sealants, especially "Slime", However, Ride On remains on the contact patch area (hence it won't repair a sidewall puncture) and it does not create the mess/corrosion that the other sealants do.

For anyone considering Ride On, just make sure to follow the simple instructions and amounts to use according to tire size. You'll need three bottles for a touring bike. And as SWThomas mentioned, it is also designed as a tire balancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDIyZeZ4PY8&t=79s
Im not familiar with the product, but I assume its some kind of spray in sealant. Its essentially an airborne glue that settles due to centrifugal force. Im not buying the 'self balancing' aspects because theres no way an aerosol suspended in a tire can settle in and find weight differences, especially considering (or once again, assuming) that the tire is already balanced.

Look, Im not knocking 'spray in' style tire repair compounds, but I consider them an emergency item. It will get you home if you are stranded, but you are (generally) going to have to replace the tire. Do you really want to trust a tire thats been repaired with spray adhesive and no other physical barrier? Tire repair kits have come a great way in the last 10 years. Id rather opt for a Small compressor and pump kit. (Just bought one last week due to this thread)

Old 03-22-2019, 09:41 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Skayy
Hello,

is there any possible solution for tube tires? I have a RKC with WW and Tubes.

Thanks much, Kai
A cell phone, credit card, and a portable mini lawn chair.

Ask me how I know...

Side note, you can "seal" a spoked tire, but it's never going to be as good as a cast.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:35 AM
Skayy
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
A cell phone, credit card, and a portable mini lawn chair.

Ask me how I know...

Side note, you can "seal" a spoked tire, but it's never going to be as good as a cast.
Thanks much. But it looks not so good like a spoked wheel :-)

Hope i will not need any of this. Hope i will not get flat :-)

Old 03-23-2019, 08:24 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by thefirstbigone
I ride an Ultra Limited and still manage to use up about all of my available space. I’m looking for recommendations on a good tire repair kit that doesn’t take up too much space. Initially I was considering CO2 but now I think it might take up as much room as a small 12v compressor. I’m just looking for recommendations from people with real world experience.
Stop & Go

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-plugger.html

Old 03-23-2019, 09:10 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

Ride- On is the way to go for flats and it's really great for balancing tires and the entire rolling wheel.

Quick Reply: Roadside tire repair