Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHT handlebar adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 05:09 PM
graydog
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLHT handlebar adjustment

I have tried the search function, but did not seem to locate any suggestions on getting to the handlebars on a FLHT. I have the manual which calls for the removal of the outer fairing, the fairing cap and ignition switch to access the upperriser bolts to adjust the bars....are there any easier waysto get to he riser bolts and without the special ignition switch tool can you still do the job as outlined? Thanks. carl

Old 07-08-2007, 07:16 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: FLHT handlebar adjustment

You don't have to remove the outer fairing at all, and no special tools are need either.

Just remove the lower fairing cap, there is a screw on each side and it comes right off after the ignition is removed. The ignition switch is very easy to remove, there is a small button that needs to be pushed at the sametime you have your key in there and turn it clockwise......it will slide right out. Then remove the iginition sleeves that are left and the lower fairing cap will come right off. You then have full access to the risers, but only the rear bolts on them. You can loosen them up and use a larger screwdriver to open them up and try to adjust your bars as needed.

It's very easy to do, and is all in the service manual.

Steve

Old 07-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: graydog

I have tried the search function, but did not seem to locate any suggestions on getting to the handlebars on a FLHT. I have the manual which calls for the removal of the outer fairing, the fairing cap and ignition switch to access the upperriser bolts to adjust the bars....are there any easier waysto get to he riser bolts and without the special ignition switch tool can you still do the job as outlined? Thanks. carl
Haven't adjusted bars yet, but on other smallthings I've done I've found that the manual calls for more disassemblysteps than are really needed. I think the reasons for this are:
1. To scare you into taking it to the dealer, and
2. So the dealer can charge 2 hrs for a 30 minute job.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:07 PM
graydog
6th Gear
Default FLHT bar adjust short cut....

OK, I took the outer fairing off and removed the glove box (I have the EG std, so no radio) which gave me enough room to loosen the riser caps and adjust the bars...simple and sure beats taking off the fairing cap, dismantling the ignition switch..etc..

The real problem is that I have unusually long arms so the stock bars still cramp me even put as far forward as possible. I guess my next stop is to the local shop for suggestions on what bars replace the stock with...and I am still considering taking off the fairing and converting the bike to a 'naked' look.

carl

Old 07-08-2007, 09:37 PM
RandyNC
Tourer
Default RE: FLHT bar adjust short cut....

Maybe you can change your seat to give you more space for your arms.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:32 PM
graydog
6th Gear

Thanks to you folks who replied...learning the E-Glide is still new to me and I am enjoying the possibilities for it to be many different bikes with a little time and creativity....carl