Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fixed calipers and floating rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 02:28 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts
Default 08 sg calipers and 11 cvo floating rotors

I had a 11 cvo rgu rim installed on my 08 flhx. I got the bearing and had a local shop install it all. They just and said everything is together but the floating disc on the rim is rubbing the fixed stock caliper. I cant picture exactly what hes trying to tell me over the phone. During all my research on doing this little swap i never read anything about the brakes being any issue. I asked if maybe the disc was warped or if the pads were meshing or something and just said its rubbing the caliper. He already quoted me 200 for cvo calipers in chrome but i can do all that myself. this just seems odd to me

Last edited by decencyxdefied; 04-16-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:45 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

Tried to edit that title lol.. Dk why I said fixed caliper

Old 04-16-2019, 03:03 PM
RDHIGH
Tourer
Received 136 Likes on 102 Posts

I dunno man- sounds fishy- thats for sure. Maybe the rotor is shimmed out?. Unless its WAY out of alignment- the calipers can be shimmed out too. New calipers? I dont think you need them. You should go down there and take a look for yourself.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:46 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

They kept tryin to tell me I need cvo floating calipers.. I'm thinkin the 08 brembos with pistons on both sides should aligned everything up on its own.. I might be able to get my buddies calipers and I'll just switch them out but I could have sworn they were the same damn thing but I could be totally wrong. I was Goin to pull the caliper off but I can't find the damn socket

Old 04-16-2019, 04:03 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Old 04-16-2019, 07:18 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

You’re being fed a line of bs and new calipers won’t fix this issue.

The CVO RG uses calipers that we’re introduced in 2008. Same year as the calipers on your SG were introduced.

Also, the CVO RG calipers were silver, not chrome.

Are you sure the wheel is correctly mounted? Spacers on the correct sides? Did you replace both bearings on the wheel? The RG would have come with ABS. I believe the side with the ABS sensor has a thinner bearing to accommodate the ABS sensor.

Are the calipers rubbing on both sides? The ABS sensor is on the clutch lever side of the wheel on the RG.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:32 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

That's exactly what I thought.. Switched out the and bearings with all *****.. I didn't ask whay size or anything they got I just told them I was bringing in the rim and needed new tires and the bearing kit.. It's my understanding that all that was needed was a bearing swap and the rim bolts right up and works as it should.. I tried to use a tape to measure the distance between the tire and fender just to see if I could see an obvious difference.

I was going to take the calipers off to see what I could do but I figured as soon as I touched it, it would be easy for them to come back and say I did something.. You can clearly see the rub marks on 3 of the 3 sides of the rotors. They aren't centered in the caliper. I told them several times that I had brembo calipers, he said I had an 07, I said it's titled as an 08 and there is an obvious difference between the two diff calipers.. Then the tech came in and said I habe the bastered year 08. I agreed to that 100%. I researched the wheel swap for weeks before I decided to get it done, and I've still yet to see one damn thread where someone had to replace calipers.. The owner and the tech told me I needed floating calipers.. I disagreed and he pulled up the parts break down.. They do in fact have different part numbers but the only difference I can spot is the placement of the Harley emblem.. If you look through Harleys main site the chrome and red calipers sold for both bikes are the same exact part number.. I plan on going on to argue more in the afternoon.. I took a chance with this small shop and it might have bit me in the ***

Last edited by decencyxdefied; 04-16-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:35 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

I did check to make sure the machined lines were facing out on the spacers. Are they different lengths,. Maybe I can check that before I go up there again

Old 04-16-2019, 09:44 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

Both are 1"..I just went out there to measure in different areas to see whar was off and to which side. Visually I could tell brake side rotor was closer to fork than the clutch side.. I didn't have anything to measure that gap accurately so I used my pointer finger.. On the brake side I can't fit my finger between the rotor and fork on the clutch side I can.. I'd assume this damn rim should be dead nuts centered

Old 04-16-2019, 10:59 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

The fact that the chrome/red calipers are the same part number for your 08 and the 11 RG is further proof that the calipers aren’t the issue. As far as I know, there isn’t any floating caliper option, at least not any of the bike years I’ve worked on.

I would see if it’s possible to double check the All ***** bearings and ensure that the non-ABS part numbers were used. Those are the only thing that are something of a wildcard in this scenario of otherwise all Harley parts.

Quick Reply: fixed calipers and floating rotors