Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experiment gone bad..need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Flyboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experiment gone bad..need help

Ok, so I have an 07 SG, I wanted to go true dual, but not get too loud. So I figured I'd try the Vance and Hines headers, and use the stock muffs, hoping to gain a little sound with a nicer looking setup.

Well....it sounds like $%^%$#$%^.! So I need to get some slipons. I don't mind a bit of noise, but I don't want it to be as loud as say Rhinehardts. I like the look of a slashup, like the Road Glide. Was thinking maybe Rush with 1.75 baffles...will it be too loud, or maybe the Peacemakers?

My Father inlaw has an 06 Ultra with the same headers, with SE slipons, and they are too loud for my liking.

Suggestions?

Old 07-26-2007, 03:22 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Experiment gone bad..need help

ORIGINAL: Flyboy

Ok, so I have an 07 SG, I wanted to go true dual, but not get too loud. So I figured I'd try the Vance and Hines headers, and use the stock muffs, hoping to gain a little sound with a nicer looking setup.

Well....it sounds like $%^%$#$%^.! So I need to get some slipons. I don't mind a bit of noise, but I don't want it to be as loud as say Rhinehardts. I like the look of a slashup, like the Road Glide. Was thinking maybe Rush with 1.75 baffles...will it be too loud, or maybe the Peacemakers?

My Father inlaw has an 06 Ultra with the same headers, with SE slipons, and they are too loud for my liking.

Suggestions?
"Too loud" is relative. I have the 1.75 Rush's and would say they are about on the threshold for me to listen comfortably to my stereo. I won't change them as they are quite satisfactory, in fact having a nice deep tone, but if I had to do it again I'd probably go with the 1.5's. The 1.75's are not so loud as to drown out the stereo or require earplugs for extended riding--but like I said, they are at the DB limit for my taste.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:25 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Might look @ RUSH Slip-ons as you can pick the baffle you like... Contact Jammie @ http://www.fuelmotousa.com/
Tell him what your looking for and I'm sure he'll be able to steer you in the right direction

Old 07-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 251 Likes on 160 Posts

I recently heard a pair of S&S SPO's on a stock Ultra. I really like the sound of them, very mellow. I personally don't care for the looks but you might.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the rush 2 inch baffle slip ons. and i like them alot, I can still hear my stereo while cruising, Now if you get on it, all you hear is pipes, which I like as well. I thnk you will be happy with the rush 1.75 or the 2.00

Old 07-26-2007, 03:52 PM
bonz50
Cruiser

a friend of mine has the V&H headers with SE cans on his EGS, personally I think it sounds great, quieter than my neighbors rhineharts with a nice tone to it, though ever so slightly higher pitched, imho...

Old 07-26-2007, 04:36 PM
fastony
Advanced

I cut open my stockmufflers off my 07 EG... the leftmuffler is a dummy has a very small outlet, the righthand mufflerhas a BIG one...I think if you ran stockmufflers with true duals for very long you might damage your engine. IMOA

Old 07-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Flyboy
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: fastony

I cut open my stockmufflers off my 07 EG... the leftmuffler is a dummy has a very small outlet, the righthand mufflerhas a BIG one...I think if you ran stockmufflers with true duals for very long you might damage your engine. IMOA
Yeah I figured as much, as the sound is completely different from one side to the other. I won't leave it like this, it sounds like crap, I'm leaning towards the Rush, slash up with a 2" baffle, and go from there.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Stash
Tourer

I also have Rush 1.75 on a set of Bassani true dual headers. This is as loud as I want to be. If you are looking for something a little bit more mellow try the street legal Screaming Eagle slipons. I had a set on briefly and they are not bad. In fact I kept them even when I bought the Rush mufflers. I thought I might put them on for a trip where listening to loud pipes can be annoying.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:06 PM
ron1026
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Be advised that the VH tru duals make all of the slipons louder than they are with stock headers, ask me how I know. I've probably tried six different mufflers looking for quiet and nice. Wild pigs too loud with the small baffle , Had rush too loud, S&s spo's nice sound, very deep but still a little loud, now I've got a set of SE street perfomance pipes coming and hopefully they'll be just right. Just keep in mind that the duals will make quiet pipes noisey.

Ron

Quick Reply: Experiment gone bad..need help