Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 RK speedometer quit today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 04:39 PM
MotorSeven
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
Default '99 RK speedometer quit today...

Self canceling turn signals quit working too. When I turn on the ignition the speedo light comes on and the needle jumps. I pulled the console and checked all connections & checked the fuses...all good. My Clymer shop manual is enroute but is there any checks I can do before it gets here? Where is the speedo pickup located?

Old 07-02-2021, 04:55 PM
MotorSeven
Cruiser

Sorry Mods, wrong sub forum...can you move it?

Old 07-03-2021, 07:38 AM
MotorSeven
Cruiser

I found this thread(very informative)....going to pull the sensor and clean it first.
​​​​​​https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...problem-5.html

Old 07-03-2021, 08:44 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 764 Likes on 632 Posts

Hey Motor..... Check your voltage at the battery at idle see if it is high. Over 14 volts
If it is your voltage regulator could have just went out, don't ride it too much with no speedo as it will F up your battery, as I found out the hard way 60 plus miles from home on Sunday late afternoon.

Old 07-09-2021, 10:34 AM
MotorSeven
Cruiser

Originally Posted by REW13
Hey Motor..... Check your voltage at the battery at idle see if it is high. Over 14 volts
If it is your voltage regulator could have just went out, don't ride it too much with no speedo as it will F up your battery, as I found out the hard way 60 plus miles from home on Sunday late afternoon.
Ok, will do today, thanks.......

Old 07-09-2021, 12:39 PM
Keggr
Road Warrior
Received 3,250 Likes on 821 Posts

Just throwing this out there - my ignition switch started to act flaky and it exhibited the same behavior as yours. I put a new ignition switch on and problem went away.

Also a post quoted from the thread that that MotorSeven linked earlier.....

From post 14

"You may want to check your ignition switch. I have seen a couple of them fail on RKs. Real easy to check. If there is a bad connection , it will do all kinds of crazy things. Also, check your bat. terminals and the ground connection for the bat cable at the frame. You should not have a voltage drop in any circuit of more that 1/2 volt or so. Ken”

In my case it was the ignition switch (Road King as well)

Old 07-10-2021, 09:37 AM
MotorSeven
Cruiser

Battery at rest was 12.9 volts, engine running showing 14.1 initially. I'm going to check it again after the engine's been running for a while to see if it calms down once the battery is charged up better. There was zero metal shavings on the sensor tip. New sensor arrives sometime today.

Kegrr....I will check that too. Come to think of it this started acting up after it's first bath.

Last edited by MotorSeven; 07-10-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:27 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

If it is a 1999 RK it will have a speedo drive on thew left side of the front tire. If it does not see the speedometer move the self cancel won't work.

Toby

Old 07-10-2021, 03:52 PM
MotorSeven
Cruiser

Originally Posted by twistedcherokee
If it is a 1999 RK it will have a speedo drive on thew left side of the front tire. If it does not see the speedometer move the self cancel won't work.

Toby
I don't think I have that but I will look. 99 was a bridge year when they were selling Evo's and TC's & both carbed or FI all at the same time. Mine is a TC & I just replaced the transmission speedo pick up sensor and will test ride it shortly.

Old 07-10-2021, 03:56 PM
MotorSeven
Cruiser

On another note, after a 20 in ride the voltage off the battery while still running was 12.3. After I shut the bike off the voltage came uo to 12.7.

While replacing the speed sensor I had to pull the battery...it's a HD & born on date of 2015.....schhhmaybe that is my problem?

Quick Reply: '99 RK speedometer quit today...