Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F#@king harley davidson!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 11:50 AM
686 Shooter
Cruiser
Received 368 Likes on 129 Posts
Default F#@king harley davidson!

WARNING - old guy rant rant below.

I know that when you buy a Harley Davidson not only are you going to spend a the price of a small house to get the bike, you're going to have to spend a ton of cash to get it the way you like it too. And I'm okay with that, Whether it's a bike or a truck, I do it. I spend some cash so I have what I want. But does Harley take it to the extreme? Hell yes they do. Here is my story.

The wife and I aren't getting any younger. We're kinda starting to like comfort over style, within reason of course. So last summer we bought a couple of Simpson Mod Bandit modular helmets for longer trips. They look good, and as a bonus we have to wash a lot less grass hopper innards off our faces when we get to our destination. We also decided that we would get a set of Cardo communicators so we can listen to tunes, chat, and answer calls from the grandkids while on the highway. And this is where my bitching begins.

Pairing the Cardo to your phone is no problem at all. But if you want to be able to link it to you're bike, you have to spend $500 (Canadian dollars) to get a "Headset Interface Module" from Harley. And is this the end of the kick in the nuts? Oh hell no! Then you have to pay your friendly neighborhood Harley dealer to flash your bike so the module works.

Really? According to Harley, my 2021 Street Glide is considered a touring bike. Does someone at the Harley Davidon ivory tower really think that people are not going to want to link their headsets to their "touring bike"? It's got navigation for Christ's sake, and the navigation tells you the turns etc. audibly. If I would have bought a Gold Wing (gag, sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little) I wouldn't have to spend extra for that feature. Come on Harley, throw us a fricken bone here or there once in a while.

Thanks for listening, I feel better now. Whats that? Have I learned anything? Am I going to but another Harley Davidson next time I'm shopping for a bike? Hell yes I am! I may complain a lot, but that's just because I'm old and crotchety. I love my Harley Davidsons and will until they put me in the ground. Along with my motorcycle of course.

The following 10 users liked this post by 686 Shooter:
Bhrees (05-21-2023), BIGDBC (05-22-2023), BigMike17 (05-24-2023), chopr147 (05-21-2023), dfixit1 (05-20-2023), Inop (05-24-2023), nordhaven (05-23-2023), r-bar-j (05-21-2023), skydude426 (05-20-2023), Ultra2005 (05-21-2023) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Top Answer

05-20-2023, 12:00 PM
Highway Handler
HDF Community Team
Received 656 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by 686 Shooter

I know that when you buy a Harley Davidson not only are you going to spend a the price of a small house to get the bike, you're going to have to spend a ton of cash to get it the way you like it too. And I'm okay with that, Whether it's a bike or a truck, I do it. I spend some cash so I have what I want. But does Harley take it to the extreme? Hell yes they do. Here is my story.

The wife and I aren't getting any younger. We're kinda starting to like comfort over style, within reason of course. So last summer we bought a couple of Simpson Mod Bandit modular helmets for longer trips. They look good, and as a bonus we have to wash a lot less grass hopper innards off our faces when we get to our destination. We also decided that we would get a set of Cardo communicators so we can listen to tunes, chat, and answer calls from the grandkids while on the highway. And this is where my bitching begins.

Pairing the Cardo to your phone is no problem at all. But if you want to be able to link it to you're bike, you have to spend $500 (Canadian dollars) to get a "Headset Interface Module" from Harley. And is this the end of the kick in the nuts? Oh hell no! Then you have to pay your friendly neighborhood Harley dealer to flash your bike so the module works.

Really? According to Harley, my 2021 Street Glide is considered a touring bike. Does someone at the Harley Davidon ivory tower really think that people are not going to want to link their headsets to their "touring bike"? It's got navigation for Christ's sake, and the navigation tells you the turns etc. audibly. If I would have bought a Gold Wing (gag, sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little) I wouldn't have to spend extra for that feature. Come on Harley, throw us a fricken bone here or there once in a while.

Thanks for listening, I feel better now. Whats that? Have I learned anything? Am I going to but another Harley Davidson next time I'm shopping for a bike? Hell yes I am! I may complain a lot, but that's just because I'm old and crotchety. I love my Harley Davidsons and will until they put me in the ground. Along with my motorcycle of course.
Solution: Ditch the phone.
Where I ride the phone does not work anyway.

Old 05-20-2023, 12:00 PM
Highway Handler
HDF Community Team
Received 656 Likes on 340 Posts

Solution: Ditch the phone.
Where I ride the phone does not work anyway.

The following 16 users liked this post by Highway Handler:
686 Shooter (05-20-2023), Buster (05-20-2023), deadhawg (05-20-2023), Germansheperd (05-21-2023), Goose_NC (05-20-2023), hvacgaspiping (05-20-2023), I Wannabe a Biker (05-21-2023), Mikind7 (05-20-2023), motorsickleMike (05-21-2023), MRFREEZE57 (05-20-2023), OkieBill (05-20-2023), Oko (05-20-2023), TwiZted Biker (05-20-2023), Ultra2005 (05-21-2023), Uncle Larry (05-20-2023), Y2K (05-20-2023) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-20-2023, 12:02 PM
wolfryder
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

HD the Definition Hundred Dollars

Last edited by wolfryder; 05-20-2023 at 02:39 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by wolfryder:
686 Shooter (05-20-2023), b0fh (05-22-2023), dfixit1 (05-20-2023), gduncan (05-24-2023), I Wannabe a Biker (05-21-2023), layndrag (05-20-2023), Steve Sportster (05-21-2023), Ultra2005 (05-21-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-20-2023, 12:09 PM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

I am glad you got that out of the way and you can enjoy your day...
I have found out with Harley Davidson, the spending never ends. I am still buying things for my 2015 RGS that I have had since November 1014.

The following users liked this post:
686 Shooter (05-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 12:18 PM
rick601
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,953 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Originally Posted by timbo141
I am glad you got that out of the way and you can enjoy your day...
I have found out with Harley Davidson, the spending never ends. I am still buying things for my 2015 RGS that I have had since November 1014.
Wow- that's a long time! 52 years before the battle of Hastings! and 201 before the Magna Carta!!

The following 11 users liked this post by rick601:
*Paladin* (05-30-2023), bigal51 (05-20-2023), DeeRoe (05-20-2023), gonemad (05-20-2023), hattitude (05-20-2023), Highway Handler (05-21-2023), M Oclaf (05-20-2023), MedicineBow (05-20-2023), OkieBill (05-20-2023), Rail (05-21-2023), Spartanden (05-20-2023) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-20-2023, 12:25 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior
Received 859 Likes on 413 Posts

I'll piggy back on your rant...Sorry...I'll just copy from your post and add my comments...

you're going to have to spend a ton of cash to get it the way you like it too...No you spend ton of money to make it ride the way it is supposed to in the first place. I mean seriously $40k for a bike and you have to spend another couple grand for suspension...even before you roll off the lot...LOL

Have I learned anything? Am I going to but another Harley Davidson next time I'm shopping for a bike? Hell yes I am! I may complain a lot, but that's just because I'm old and crotchety. I love my Harley Davidsons and will until they put me in the ground. Along with my motorcycle of course........No wonder Harley doesn't have to up their game, they have one of the best marketing strategy in the business and had no serious competition for many decades. I really hope Indian keeps growing, ultimately it's going to push Harley to get better, be more competitive.

I may be wrong but this is my observation after riding other makes. I came to Harley because of how engine resonated with me and Harley touring was the only make with aftermarket reverse available.

s-glide76 (05-22-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 12:30 PM
M Oclaf
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,689 Likes on 2,616 Posts
Default Fixed it

I really hope Indian Polaris keeps growing…

The following 2 users liked this post by M Oclaf:
I Wannabe a Biker (05-21-2023), Pappy35 (05-24-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 12:41 PM
Y2K
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,198 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Does someone at the Harley Davidon ivory tower really think that people are not going to want to link their headsets to their "touring bike"? .
There are some of us,in fact I bought an Electra Std. so I could just add stuff I wanted and not pay for all the crap I didn't want which included a bunch of electronics.
It doesn't even have a radio let alone navigation bluetooth yadda yadda.
Love the bike and as far as buying a small house,well in my area it wouldn't buy an outhouse,I got a great deal on it.
Even after all the add ons (many aftermarket) and extended warranty and sales tax I came in about $21K.

The following 5 users liked this post by Y2K:
686 Shooter (05-20-2023), Hawg Runner (05-20-2023), motorsickleMike (05-21-2023), Ultra2005 (05-21-2023), WVHARLEEMANN (05-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 01:09 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,494 Likes on 2,483 Posts

if you would have bought a Road king, you wouldn't have to worry about all that useless electronic crapadula, and you wouldn't have to listen to your wife yapping in your ear. I mean really..

The following 10 users liked this post by dickey:
Buster (05-20-2023), crtfibl (05-20-2023), CWO4 (05-24-2023), deadhawg (05-20-2023), Germansheperd (05-21-2023), hvacgaspiping (05-20-2023), motorsickleMike (05-21-2023), pyuchem (05-20-2023), TwiZted Biker (05-20-2023), Y2K (05-20-2023) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-20-2023, 01:36 PM
Fddk
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

After all that, because you don’t have the Harley branded Sena headsets you will have horrible sound quality.

fonso003 (05-21-2023)

Quick Reply: F#@king harley davidson!