Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra Glide fork lock issue.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 12:19 PM
ratmotortom
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electra Glide fork lock issue.

I've read about one poster's experience with this issue, but how can one tell if your bike might have the problamatic switch ?? It seems some touring models experience a fork lock condition and it will not unlock. I have not had this problem with my new 06, but want to be certain it doesn't become an issue in the future. My dealer would surely replace the switch in advance, but would it still be a potential faulty part? Also need advise on what to do if this situation occurs. Someone mentioned an hourglass shaped pin that can be removed with a small screwdriver, but I just can't seem to find where this pin might be located. Any advise from you touring gurus on this issue.?? My bike is an 06 recently built. I've had it about 3 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:27 PM
schultz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electra Glide fork lock issue.

Mine is one of the first 06's that the dealer got so I would be interested in this too. I remember reading something about it on one of the boards I look at. So far no problems.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:31 PM
ratmotortom
Cruiser

I would be happy if I could just lock the ignition without locking the fork, but I don't think it is possible. I'm confident someone here can shed some light on this.

Old 11-23-2005, 04:41 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: ratmotortom

I would be happy if I could just lock the ignition without locking the fork, but I don't think it is possible. I'm confident someone here can shed some light on this.
I think it's retarded that I can't lock the ignition without locking the fork, or visa versa.
Of course, you can set the alarm with the ignition off and not locked, if you have an alarm, which I'm sure most do.

I totally prefer the padlock style front end on my '97 softail. To me, it just makes the most sense. I can start my softail with the padlock on and walk away from it and not have to worry about someone jumping on it and taking off.

Here is a link to that thread...https://www.hdforums.com/m_168759/tm.htm

Old 11-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

Tom
Mine is an 05 ultra, I just put in key, turn to lock position, turn the switch to the left and push down. Then if you want to lock the fork just pull the bars hard over to left.

Old 11-23-2005, 07:16 PM
ratmotortom
Cruiser

Hmmmmmmmm, I'll have to try that. Seems to me, mine says fork lock at the lock position though. I don't know if mine works like that. Can't get my key to lock unless it's in the fork lock position. I'll sure give it a shot though. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll let you know how it works when I get home ! I need to experiment with it a bit. I just got it and haven't had to lock it up anywhere yet. Sure liked the lock system on my old softail better !
ORIGINAL: Fandango6

Tom
Mine is an 05 ultra, I just put in key, turn to lock position, turn the switch to the left and push down. Then if you want to lock the fork just pull the bars hard over to left.

Old 11-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fandango6

Tom
Fandango is correct.

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee