Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Old 08-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Bens05FLHPI
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bburn
No, these are thin organizer pouches that stick to the inside of the saddlebag lids. When the saddlebag lids are flipped open, you have access to several various sized storage pouches. I've used mine to hold tools, spare fuses, goggles, sunscreen, and all kinds of other handy items. They also make a matching organizer that sticks to the inside of the tour pak lid. Unfortunately, the velcro just doesn't work. I like the organizers so well that I will consider permanantly epoxying them to the lids if my attempt with the 3m double sided moulding tape doesn't hold.

Here is the link where I purchased my organizers:

https://www.denniskirk.com/flh-saddl...et.p508724.prd
Oh whell in that case I need some. I would like to have a place for tools and my phone if I get rained on. Maybe I'll fid some or make my own. I have te police bags with hinges so I could get alot more storage where you guys have the fabric.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 PM
bburn
Advanced

Originally Posted by AbnMP13
Let me know how it works Bburn, I'd like to get a set of those organizers.
The 3M double sided emblem tape seems to be holding the Saddlemen lid organizer pouches really well so far although I admit it's only been a couple of weeks. The bike has sit in my hot garage, and out in the hot parking lot at my office during that time, plus about two hours worth of riding. So far so good. Hoping I can take the bike to the Talladega races in October. That should be a good test, running 10 hours each way from Arkansas.

One other thing I would add is that I had virtually the entire mounting surface of the organizers covered with the emblem tape. The Saddlemen factory leaves space in between their velcro strips. I placed each successive row of tape immediately adjacent to the previous until I had the whole thing covered in long strips, then went back and filled in the tight spaces with shorter strips. Like I said, I used the entire 15 foot roll of 7/8" wide 3M emblem tape from Autozone to do both lids.

I will try to report on this again as more time passes.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:34 AM
dabeam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bburn
The 3M double sided emblem tape seems to be holding the Saddlemen lid organizer pouches really well so far although I admit it's only been a couple of weeks. The bike has sit in my hot garage, and out in the hot parking lot at my office during that time, plus about two hours worth of riding. So far so good. Hoping I can take the bike to the Talladega races in October. That should be a good test, running 10 hours each way from Arkansas.

One other thing I would add is that I had virtually the entire mounting surface of the organizers covered with the emblem tape. The Saddlemen factory leaves space in between their velcro strips. I placed each successive row of tape immediately adjacent to the previous until I had the whole thing covered in long strips, then went back and filled in the tight spaces with shorter strips. Like I said, I used the entire 15 foot roll of 7/8" wide 3M emblem tape from Autozone to do both lids.

I will try to report on this again as more time passes.
The hot weather is the true test and it sounds like it is holding well. Every time it gets hot here, I must "re-stick" them back to the lid.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:51 PM
koukey
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi, is that an actual sign"BAGGERS RULE" or did you make it up? i'd like to get one. thanks

Old 09-14-2012, 01:08 AM
Cwboyscooby
Tourer

My latest Cheap Mod was to put my GPS and Power Vision inside the fairing replacing the Tach and Speedo.... but that's a long story:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-fairing.html

But the previous project was to black out all of the lights.... at a total cost of about $20. I used VHT Night Shades, but learned some lessons in the process to pass on.

Remove all lenses that you are going to paint and don't paint in the garage if there's a bike or vehicle in there. Overspray is a bitch with this stuff. It's so thin it floats around all over the place then lands on something 20 feet away.

Pulled off all turn signals, fender lights, tail & brake lights, and all 4 lights on the trunk (including the led lights on the sides). I also did the saddlebag latch reflectors.

I sanded them with 2000 grain paper to scuff and clean them, then applied 3 thin coats of night shades. When completely dry (used a blow dryer to speed up process), I then wet sanded them again after they dried to get rid of all orange peel and imperfections.

Next, I applied 3 heavy coats of Dupont clearcoat for plastic. Dry, wet sand again, used a heavy rubbing compound, then a rubbing polish (scratch remover) until they were as smoothe as glass.

Reinstall everything and it looks amazing! no red or amber anywhere on my bike now!
You lose about 10% of the light coming through the lenses, but mine are still as bright as my buddies bike (after he spent a couple hundred dollars on smoked lenses throughout his bike).

It looked so good, I went ahead and did the same thing to my fuel door as I couldn't stand the sun's reflection off of it blinging me. It looks better than a powdercoated version, and cost me nothing as I already had the stuff.

1. Do not go too dark or your lights will look too dim. When applied as directed, you should have virtually no loss of light. 2-3 LIGHT coats only!

2. You have to clearcoat afterwards even though the instructions dont tell you to. I did truck taillights once. It looked hazy from the start, then the paint oxidized and cracked after less than a year. My buddy did the same to his his truck and clearcoated them, and they still look perfect 5 years later.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:12 AM
Cwboyscooby
Tourer

Shouldn't have to mention this, but just in case someone misunderstands... This cannot be done with regular spraypaint. Night Shades is not actually a paint, but a liquid Tint. It is designed to change the color of the lense but not block light (though it will if you go too dark).

It looks awesome on a black or dark colored bike.

I'll post pics another time. I'm at work now.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 AM
nelsont509
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Cwboyscooby

But the previous project was to black out all of the lights.... at a total cost of about $20. I used VHT Night Shades, but learned some lessons in the process to pass on.
Very nice !! Thanks for the tips. Did you use there "prep" spray, or Rubbing alcohol? Pics would be cool!! Which clear coat, assuming that was also an aerosol??

Last edited by nelsont509; 09-17-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:10 PM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 110 Likes on 68 Posts
Default $0 Cup Holder

I'm just returning to motorcycles after 30+ years off. I recently purchased a 2001 Road King and I'm starting to consider modifications.

One thing I hadn't considered was needing a cup holder. But then today I wanted to leave McD's for my office but didn't want to leave my drink behind.

$0 cost fix: I got a carry out tray and sat it in the corner of my tour pack. Then I put my backpack on it covering 3 holding slots and sat my iced tea in the 4th. Viola, instant cup holder. I wouldn't want to cruise a distance with this arrangement but I made it the 2 miles to my office without spilling anything.

Maybe my next "mod" will be more exciting.

Last edited by VA_Larry; 09-19-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:18 PM
aznomad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PapaTravis
How did you wire the switch to the remote? I have a Craftsman garage door opener, and was thinking of a way to connect a romote to my bike. What kind of switch did you use, and where did you buy it?
I have a Chamberlain door opener. I bought a tiny remote and put it in the left visor bag. I attached it to the flap on the left visor bag with a black zip tie. That way I can get it out without worrying about dropping it.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:33 PM
aznomad
Intermediate

Cool idea!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$