Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:28 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Some of you fellas should have been part of the C.R.A.P. group (Cheapskate Riders Are Proud)! Some great ideas here. Will have to see about putting up some of mine.

On a previous bike (not an HD), I changed the socket inside the rear turn signals with 1157 sockets from the auto parts store, and tied in the extra wire to the running circuit, so the turns were running AND turn signals. They wouldn't work with the brake, but that still gave me some extra light on the back end. The whole thing cost me less than $10 for everything.

Next, I added LED strips to the backrest, one for brake (horizontal), and one for each turn (vertical on each side), and added them into the brake and turn circuits to get even more light and attention on the back of the bike. I also added a BackOff brake module to the brake LED to have it flash, too, getting even more attention when stopping. This way, the LED on the backrest would flash, over and over, getting cager's attention, and the stock brake light would remain on solid to let everyone behind me know that I'm really stopping, so they wouldn't get too close to the back of the bike. (That's really one of my pet peeves; when people think they can or should crawl up your backside when you're stuck at a light, especially if they do so quickly and stop real short within a couple feet of your back tire!)

The following users liked this post:
tjconnection (04-13-2019)
Old 04-18-2018, 10:46 AM
Grummppy
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TeddyToTuffJohnson
I currently own a 1992 FXR that has been custom built like the one in the movie "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man " I wanna know if I can use some kind of new security system on it , that's keys (like on the new Harley's)
any feedback would be great. Thanks..
try this it works well...
Amazon Amazon

Old 04-18-2018, 11:19 AM
Georgeisworkin1
Stage IV
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shinny pimpalicious sparkly

https://youtu.be/AbEeTxAoxJk

Old 04-18-2018, 04:45 PM
Georgeisworkin1
Stage IV
Default Diamond Cut service

tjconnection (04-13-2019)
Old 04-18-2018, 06:39 PM
115th FLHXS
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Not my style - but very impressive!

Old 04-18-2018, 09:30 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgeisworkin1
https://youtu.be/AbEeTxAoxJk
You seem to be advertising your product here. Unless, you are trying to show your DIY work, which this thread is all about.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:22 PM
Georgeisworkin1
Stage IV

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
You seem to be advertising your product here. Unless, you are trying to show your DIY work, which this thread is all about.
I'm just proudly showing off what this (me) DIYer was able to do, on my first cosmetic mod on my bike, if I can help anyone else achieve this type off detail I'll help.

https://youtu.be/vpIcRF7iGMw

Last edited by Georgeisworkin1; 04-18-2018 at 11:27 PM.
hbsoldier3 (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 04:40 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts
Default Wireless phone charger mount

So - I wanted a phone mount that would allow the phone to charge wirelessly. First, for convenience, no fiddling with wires, second, to save on wear and tear of constantly putting in and taking out the charging cable.

Nobody makes a wireless charging mount for motorcycles, oddly enough, so I had to fab up my own. I already had a Ram Mount handlebar mount and ball arm, so I wanted to use that to mount the phone

I found a
wireless car charger wireless car charger
with a clasping cradle. It grabs the phone very firmly. It comes with a ball mount to mount to the base that it comes with, but its too small for the Ram arm, and also connects to the back of the charger in flimsy way.

So I bought a
Ram 1" ball Ram 1" ball

Mount starting point:

Dremeled off the bits on the back so it would be flush:

JB Welded the ball to the charger:

Mounted on the bike. It charges, but not sure how fast yet, will find out tomorrow.

ABQ-Jammer (04-23-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 07:51 AM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 111 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
So - I wanted a phone mount that would allow the phone to charge wirelessly. First, for convenience, no fiddling with wires, second, to save on wear and tear of constantly putting in and taking out the charging cable. ...
There was recently a thread in the touring section about adding wireless charging. But the last I checked nobody on the forum had reported moving forward with it.

You may want to consider adding security straps, such as:
Amazon Amazon

It may be "belts and suspenders" but you won't have to worry about the grip failing when air rushes behind the mount.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:19 PM
rocket23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,608 Likes on 2,863 Posts

If anything , this thread led me to a couple cheap chargers that allow me to charge and hard wire (via aux. jack) my tunes on the phone. Abeit in my truck not the bike....yet

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$