Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amplifier, what fits inside the fairing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:24 PM
ltdan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Amplifier, what fits inside the fairing

I looked and searched all through the forum. Everything Ifound was either too expensive or too technical (I'm a cop for christsakes). Wound up talking to Pez. Just about 5 min ago posted a topic called "Kudo's to Pez" because of the great customer service.

If I wasn't computer impaired, I'd post a link.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:25 PM
roadglidedude
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had any experience with hogtunes and running a short windshield?
I have the 4" windshield on my RG and i get a lot of wind noise
I can't decide if I need tojust get the speakers or the speakers with the amp?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:33 PM
BAGTHIS
Advanced

I would say the Mitsu puts out a little less than the deck power! It would work in a pinch for something in the rear while you find a real solution, but don't get your hopes up on that 500 watt monster(ous piece of crap)!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:18 PM
dandfire
Intermediate

Lt Dan?? Thats what my friends call me...Somervile Fire Dept

Old 01-24-2008, 12:55 AM
chuckk01
Cruiser

Hawg wired amp is the way to go. Nice and loud. Install was a breeze.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 AM
RancherPete
1st Gear

Hi Slope: Thanks for your info regarding your creative approach to the Harley stereo upgrade! I was planning on doing something like this because the cost of these pre-assembled kits seems way out of whack. I could still use a little help and wondered if you could share a bit more info:

1) Did you rig up connectors to do this or did you just cut into the wiring and make splices with the amp in between the radio and the speakers?

2) I'm not sure I understand your comment below and the need for the impedance unit. Is this because your new marine speakers were not 4 Ohm (not sure how that works):
Your comment: "I also installed a Nitro (BMW-CV) 2 Channel Hi-Low Impedance Converter($15.00) with a set of Polk Audio db521 marine rated 5-1/4" speakers ($100), because the Harley radio does not have RCA outputs".

3) I have a 2000 Ultra Classic with four speakers but it seems that I would most likely have to power just two of the speakers since this is the way the other kits seem to do it for some reason. Although I suppose that one could bypass the fader and just power all four with this 4 channel amp (again, not sure how that works).

Many thanks for any additional info you can share! Peter

Old 11-03-2010, 10:25 AM
HFS
Club Member
Received 307 Likes on 194 Posts

I installed the Hawg-Wired in the first three months of ownership. I bought the simple 2 speaker system. it was SO simple to install, I almost felt bad I didn't go the harder one. All it needed was connection to the batteries...

1/2 helmet, I dont go above 50%

I still have 5-1/4" speakers, and am waiting for Hawg Wired to offer a larger set, but they are awesome...

Old 11-03-2010, 10:34 AM
2D3K1H1B1HIM
Cruiser

I had the Hogtunes set up when the first came out.....Great product and service...price is the best.I decided after 2 years to do an upgrade to the ARC 125 and the 6.5 speakers.With this combo it is Louder and somewhat clearer but I am having connection problems as the HK doesn't read the amp sometimes and I need to re-start the radio at times.Is it worth the Investment????? When it works I am happy...was not plug and play.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:53 AM
SG Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2D3K1H1B1HIM
I had the Hogtunes set up when the first came out.....Great product and service...price is the best.I decided after 2 years to do an upgrade to the ARC 125 and the 6.5 speakers.With this combo it is Louder and somewhat clearer but I am having connection problems as the HK doesn't read the amp sometimes and I need to re-start the radio at times.Is it worth the Investment????? When it works I am happy...was not plug and play.

I too have the Arc mini 125 and it's a great amp. As said above sometimes I had to reset (turn the bike off/on) the amp but that is because the amp remote start connected to the cigarette lighter and comes on when the ignition is turned on and if I start the bike too quickly the amp shuts off (quick reset) to protect itself against a power surge. so the answer is to wait until the radio actually comes on and then start the bike.

Mine wasn't plug and play but it's not that hard to buy the stuff that you need to wire in the amp.

Good luck!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:06 PM
gmurdock
Tourer

I am interseted in the Slope idea. Will have to watch this posting.

Quick Reply: Amplifier, what fits inside the fairing