Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cee Bailey's SSC Windshield on Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 07:49 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cee Bailey's SSC Windshield on Street Glide

I just finished testing 3 different windshields from Cee Bailey's on my Street Glide. The windshield is a brand new model called the SSC. SSC is an acronym for "super step contour". I have an 11" dark smoke, a 12" jet black (opaque), and a 13" dark smoke. These sizes sound very tall, but in reality the height of these windshields is about 3" shorter than indicated. In other words, an 11" SSC is about the equivalent of an 8" windshield from Harley. A 13" SSC is the same as a 10" Harley shield, etc...

The purpose of the SSC is to try to cut down turbulence by bringing the windshield much further back towards the rider. After several test rides I can tell you that it works! The SSC is about 3 to 4" closer to the rider than "regular" Harley windshields. Here are some measurements for comparison:

"Pullback" - this is the distance from the center windshield screw on the batwing back to the center of the top lip on the windshield.
"Height" - this is the distance from the lock on the gas cap cover to the center of the top lip on the windshield.

Fastaire 8" dark smoke windshield: pullback 4.75" height 15.5"
SSC 11" dark smoke windshield: pullback 8.25" height 15.5"
SSC 12" opaque black windshield: pullback 8.5" height 16.5"
SSC 13" dark smoke windshield: pullback 8.75" height 17.25"

As you can see from the figures above and the pictures below, the SSC comes back much closer to the rider. The end result is that turbulence is significantly reduced for the rider, and I would imagine the passenger as well, although I haven't yet tested out the SSC with my wife on the back.

One nitpick that I have with the SSC is that it shakes quite a bit when the bike is idling between 1000 - 1200 rpm. It doesn't really hurt anything, but it's just kind of distracting. Once you are underway the shaking goes away. The shaking has nothing to do with wind, it is caused by the shaking of the motor. On my Street Glide, once I'm above 1200 rpm my motor smooths out and the SSC no longer shakes. My "regular" windshields from Harley and Fastaire don't have this shaking problem, probably because they are so much shorter overall than the SSC. The SSC is much longer because of the long bend back to the rider, and this I assume is the reason behind the shaking. Like I said, it's no big deal, just an observation. Once I'm underway, the SSC is absolutely motionless.

As I stated earlier, the airflow over the SSC is very smooth. Cee Bailey's has done a beautiful job designing this windshield. You get a two-fold benefit with the SSC: Less airflow, and what air does hit you is much smoother. Kudos to the designers in the wind tunnel.

Quality is absolutely first-rate. I've owned over 20 bikes and this is the highest quality windshield I've ever seen. The SSC is not cheap, but when you see the quality you begin to see why. The edges of the windshield are polished to perfection, and the optical quality of the plastic used is superb.

As for styling, I personally feel that the stock 4"Street Glide windshield is the best looking one of the bunch. Of course it doesn't work worth a darn, but it sure looks good on the bike on the showroom floor. I've always felt that shorter windshields look better, but I think that Cee Bailey's has done a commendable job with the styling of the SSC. Looks is obviously a very personal thing, so take a look at the pics below and make your own conclusions. Personally, I love the styling of the SSC. It really accentuates the lines of a Street Glide (or any Electra Glide for that matter). One thing beyond dispute is the fact that the SSC performs brilliantly. Here is a link to Cee Bailey's website: http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/flhtsscws.html

I have no affiliation with Cee Bailey's, I'm just testing out their windshield for them. If you're looking for a way to cut down turbulence on your glide, I can highly recommend the

Old 02-18-2006, 07:53 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Cee Bailey's SSC Windshield on Street Glide

hope you can see over them things cause when it rains or gets dark i couldnt see through mine.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:57 PM
UGGA
Road Captain

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm looking over all 3 of my SSC's, so it's not a problem. I never like looking through windshields, day or night, so I always buy them short enough to look over.

Doug

Old 02-18-2006, 08:29 PM
george liles
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the regular 9 inch black on my bike. Very nice quality windscreen and VERY dark. I am not thinking that I am gonna like it though. I have only rode about 5 miles with it so far. I will either sell it or have it cut down. They are 1st rate replacements.

George

Old 02-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Doug, it's really funny for me that you are posting this thread at this time. I have been in the market for a 8" shield and just this morning I was on Cee Bailey's web site and was wondering about this particular item. Your timing couldn't haver been more perfect! I am currently riding with the stock 12" Harley shield for the winter. Works great but for summer I wanted to restore the SG look and yet have more protection than the stock 4" provides. Actually, I think the funtionality of the 4" stock shield absolutly sucks for my height (6').
I like the fact that Cee Baile shields are molded as opposed to fastaire and Sin City.
When I looked at their web site and observed the price of the SSC I didn't want to take a chance sending $100 bucks or so on a product I wasn't sure would work. I still don't like the price. I was considering their 8" regular model for around $40. Still uncertain what to do.
BTW, I think I like the black shield on your bike.

Frank

Old 02-18-2006, 09:39 PM
UGGA
Road Captain

I had problems posting the pics my first time around. Here's another try. Computers suck.

Hope this works.
Doug

Old 02-18-2006, 10:52 PM
2006streetglide
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug, I'm kind of interested in the SSC series winshield. I like the look of the 12" opaque black SSC on your Street Glide but was wondering what the lowest or smallest height winshield they have avaialble? Is it the 9"?

Also, I did not see the Opaque Black as an ordering option. Was I missing something?

No rush but when you get a chance I'd like to look into it further.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Old 02-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug,
Really interested in how it is for the passenger, every time I change the widshield fro stock I get alot of complaining about the turbulence from my other half.
Thanks, HD

Old 02-18-2006, 11:49 PM
UGGA
Road Captain

Jeff,

Youre right, the opaque black is not listed as an option. Cee Bailey's made the opaque black for me for evaluation purposes. If you want one, they will make it for you. Their customer service is outstanding.

Doug

Old 02-18-2006, 11:50 PM
UGGA
Road Captain

Homer,

As soon as I take my wife for a ride, I'll post the results of her feedback on the SSC and also the Progressive 440 shocks that I just installed. I know what you mean - it's very important to keep your passenger happy!

Doug

Quick Reply: Cee Bailey's SSC Windshield on Street Glide