Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't get jiffy stand to stay on / broken spring, or wrong way to install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 01:22 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

I just replaced mine last weekend as it was stretched.

I completely removed the jiffy stand and took the old spring off. I hooked the new spring to the frame and took the jiffy stand and pointed it so the bottom of it was facing forward(towards the front of the bike) thus shortening the distance. Hooked the new spring to the jiffy stand, lubed it up a bit and reinstalled. Easy peasy. Took all of a couple minutes.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,414 Likes on 4,018 Posts

Originally Posted by karz10
Hey guys, I searched on jiffy stand / kick stand spring on here, and saw some threads on how to install/replace
However you choose to hold up the bike is up to you, but this is the only way to change the jiffy stand spring without running the risk of damaging the new spring.

This guy bothers me for some reason, but cut through his blabber and use this technique... it's a visual of what ElectraJim mentions above...

The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
ElectraJim (05-19-2017), Thenite (05-19-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 11:55 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

What galltjunk said is the proper way, worked like a charm for me.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:48 AM
Thenite
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that it doesn't mention in the video is the direction the spring is inserted into the frame plate (it's obvious now that I look at it, but it is easy to overlook and some of us need to be walked through it like kindergartners). This is where I went wrong - based on how other's have said to do it - advise is wrong sometimes and everyone has an opinion.

Another problem is, not getting cornered with the ridiculous mark up on OEM parts when you can get a decent aftermarket part for a fraction of the price. My stand spring is supposedly 3.7" according to everyone you can purchase springs from - ranging from $4.95 to $9.95 Yet, even after simply moving the kickstand forward the spring is about 1/2" or so too short. There is a 4.1" spring available, but I'm concerned it won't keep the kickstand tight to the frame - everyone saying that the 4.1" spring is too long for my bike. (thinking about just laying it down like we did with our BMXs, LOL)

I do know if you install the spring wrong, it'll break. And if you use vice grips it'll weaken the already brittle tempered steel - cause they don't make stuff like they used to. The coin/washer trick works great when you run into this dilemma.

Last edited by Thenite; 05-19-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:04 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by hattitude
However you choose to hold up the bike is up to you, but this is the only way to change the jiffy stand spring without running the risk of damaging the new spring.

This guy bothers me for some reason, but cut through his blabber and use this technique... it's a visual of what ElectraJim mentions above...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX2kAYl5I0c
This is the right process, except he puts the spring on backwards.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/harle...-easy-way.html

Old 05-19-2017, 09:41 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,925 Likes on 3,023 Posts

[QUOTE=Ron750;16251760]This is the right process, except he puts the spring on backwards.

That's what I thought too, it's not how it was when he removed it.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:41 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX2kAYl5I0c
I've seen this guy's videos before. Blah, blah, blah, blah... Just get on with it already!!! Sheesh!

He attached the spring backwards to the jiffy stand. The hook should come in from the back. I'm surprised they let this video go out this way.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

For as simple as deal as this is...and ElectraJim described the technique...this thread has gotten a lotta traction!

The following users liked this post:
ElectraJim (05-19-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 09:11 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,414 Likes on 4,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
This is the right process, except he puts the spring on backwards.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/harle...-easy-way.html
Damn.... I forgot to mention that.... thanks for pointing that out....!

First time I saw the video I knew something didn't look right, just couldn't put my finger on it. Then someone posted about the backwards spring. I try to remember to mention that, the few times I've shared the video... somehow I seem to forget..!

Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 AM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by galtjunk
I don't recall the exact sequence of events, but it is written in the Factory Sevice manual.&nbsp\\; It takes about 3 minutes to change the spring and requires no nickels or washers.

It goes something like this.

I think you take the top bolt out of the jiffy stand.&nbsp\\; This is the one that holds the tab that locks it in place.
Push the jiffy stand towards the front wheel.&nbsp\\;
Attach the spring.&nbsp\\; The is no spring stretching involved.&nbsp\\; It hooks right up.
Push the jiffy stand back to the extended position.&nbsp\\;
Put the bolt and stop back in.
You're all done.

Quick Reply: can't get jiffy stand to stay on / broken spring, or wrong way to install?