Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't get jiffy stand to stay on / broken spring, or wrong way to install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:12 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default can't get jiffy stand to stay on / broken spring, or wrong way to install?

Hey guys, I searched on jiffy stand / kick stand spring on here, and saw some threads on how to install/replace, one was sticking washers in the spring to stretch it so you can get it back on, and one was taking the stand out, or partially off, to get it back on... I don't have a lift yet, so I tried the washer deal, PITA for me, no vice or anything to hold one end, so w/out 3 hands, took me awhile to figure a way to get the washers in there (had to lay spring in a crack in floor, wedge screwdriver in, insert washer, remove screwdriver, repeat several times)... However, I couldn't get it to work. I don't know if I'm putting the wrong end in the stand vs frame, or if my spring is broken. My spring doesn't have two hooked ends, it has one hooked end, and the other end is almost like a 90 degree L. I tried putting the L side into the frame, but it falls out. I tried putting the L side into the stand, but once attached to the frame and bike, first time you try to 'close' the stand, it comes off. My time is worth more than this, at this point, so I decided to take it to the dealer, but the first one can't fit me in until next week, so now I'm thinking of trying to fix it myself again, but I can't find any images of the spring for my bike anywhere, so I don't know if my spring is broken, or I'm just installing it the wrong way.
Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: can't get jiffy stand to stay on / broken spring, or wrong way to install?

Well you didn't say what bike you have, but I had to replace my jiffy stand spring this year, I had a friend hold the bike leaned to the right side , and I hooked one end into the frame, and clamped the other end with vice grips, and went to it, I about blew a vein in my head getting it in there, but I did it. You could use a pry bar on the vice grips to help out.
You would thik the spring is going to explode.
I would go buy a new spring, and start over, both ends of mine looked the same.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:59 PM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: can't get jiffy stand to stay on / broken spring, or wrong way to install?

I messed my spring up in Daytona this year, and when I went to buy the new spring the parts guy told me to loosen thejiffy standmount bolts, put the spring on, and then reinstall the mount bolts. I had to remove the left floorboard also due to one of the bolts going through the jiffy stand mount. You don't need a jack, you could lean the bike over against a wall, or have a buddy hold it for you. But if you stretch it too far, it will fall off, or not work properly..

Old 06-04-2008, 02:13 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have already broke one on the new SG. I have a table to keep the bike up right but you can use a friend instead. What I did was buy a new one first. I then hooked the spring to the front hole. By the way the spring is the same on both ends. I then used a long screw driver and pulled back to set the rear end. Worked the first time with no trouble at all. The only thing that sucks is if you don't have a lift you are laying doen your side.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Yep, you need a new spring. An easier way to do the washer thing is to bend the spring one way then the other.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:43 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if this will help - never changed one but I have heard to go to the bank and get a roll of nickels. They might be thicker than the washers you are using and might spread the spring more making it easer.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:12 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 287 Likes on 153 Posts

I don't recall the exact sequence of events, but it is written in the Factory Sevice manual.&nbsp\\; It takes about 3 minutes to change the spring and requires no nickels or washers.

It goes something like this.

I think you take the top bolt out of the jiffy stand.&nbsp\\; This is the one that holds the tab that locks it in place.
Push the jiffy stand towards the front wheel.&nbsp\\;
Attach the spring.&nbsp\\; The is no spring stretching involved.&nbsp\\; It hooks right up.
Push the jiffy stand back to the extended position.&nbsp\\;
Put the bolt and stop back in.
You're all done.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:22 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I just use ViceGrips and pull.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:34 AM
Sportshot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem as you are having a few years ago. Galtjunk has it right! I was given this advice and was able to get my new spring on very easy. Up until that time I struggled for a couple of hours trying to come up with something that would work. Lean the bike up against the wall if you have to and put a block under the frame just in case.

You can do this!

Good luck
ORIGINAL: galtjunk

I don't recall the exact sequence of events, but it is written in the Factory Sevice manual. \\\\\\; It takes about 3 minutes to change the spring and requires no nickels or washers.

It goes something like this.

I think you take the top bolt out of the jiffy stand. \\\\\\; This is the one that holds the tab that locks it in place.
Push the jiffy stand towards the front wheel. \\\\\\;
Attach the spring. \\\\\\; The is no spring stretching involved. \\\\\\; It hooks right up.
Push the jiffy stand back to the extended position. \\\\\\;
Put the bolt and stop back in.
You're all done.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:39 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I like the coins in the spring trick. this way you'll always have change for the parking meters.,,,

Quick Reply: can't get jiffy stand to stay on / broken spring, or wrong way to install?