Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Road King Cruise Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Cigar Dan
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Road King Cruise Control Problems

I'm searching for help with my cruise control problem. When I talk to the local HD service techs, all they tell me is ..."well, bring it in and we'll take a look at it." I have a 2003 FLHRCI. About 6 months ago I began experiencing intermittent problems with the cruise "set/resume." (green light on the right). I'd power on the cruise, the small red light on the left would illuminate but, when I set the speed with my right thumb switch it wouldn't engage. Or more appropriately it would engage sometimes (intermittently). Then as suddenly as the problem started, it began working just fine. Well, last week it started again and has not been working at all since. I've checked the fuse, replaced the right "set/resume" thumb switch and re-lashed the cruise control successfully. Also checked the brakes and brake lights to ensure they are working properly. The re-lashing proceedures allows me to believe the "set/resume" switch works properly. However, it still doesn't engage. Anyone have any thoughts?
&nbsp\\;
Thanks,
Cigar Dan

Old 07-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Noble Steed
Advanced
Default RE: 03 Road King Cruise Control Problems

No problem to fix. I have the same bike and same problem. On the right side of the bike in front of the gas tank there is a rubber boot covering the idle cable. Under the boot is a spade plug that controls the roll off function of the CC. Unplug the front spade plug on the switch and you should be back in business. The only way to truly fix it is to replace the idle cable. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Jamman718
Advanced
Default cruise probs

Does disconnecting cause any safety issues?

Originally Posted by Noble Steed
No problem to fix. I have the same bike and same problem. On the right side of the bike in front of the gas tank there is a rubber boot covering the idle cable. Under the boot is a spade plug that controls the roll off function of the CC. Unplug the front spade plug on the switch and you should be back in business. The only way to truly fix it is to replace the idle cable. Good luck.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:34 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You can unplug both wires coming to the cable, and cruise will function, but you can not roll off the throttle to stop the cruise anymore.
I never use the roll off feature anyway, so it wouldn't be a big deal to me, you can still flick the front brake, or tap the rear, or turn off the cruise switch on the faring cap.
So is it a safety issue, I don't think so, but mine works.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:23 AM
SonorMike
Stage III

Okay,
I was having this same problem. Cruise would turn on, but wouldn't engage. I pulled one wire off the roll off switch and it started working. As I'm going up the road at 50mph I thought, "SWEET! Problem solved!"

Next thing I know, she starts to accelerate all on her own. So I tap the front brake and disengage it. A minute later, I'm thinking about what might be going on here and the cruise RE-engages all on it's own. I tap the brake again and disengage it. I try to engage it using "Set". No dice. Won't engage. I try "Resume". Bingo, it engages, but immediately starts to accelerate.

I'm thinking the control module is going bad. Any other ideas?