Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmon Kardon Radio Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 02:46 PM
jrike
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same thing happened to mine.iron cross radio in jersey will fix for 250.00.im going with an aftermarket radio.it seems to be common but no recall from HD.harley wants like 340.00 to repair.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Horseman61
Stage I
Default H.K. radio

I'm having the exact same problem '08 ultra

Old 06-11-2011, 09:15 PM
locodude
Road Captain

on my third radio on a 09 ultra with 18k on the clock, and of course it's out of warranty, I was just having the radio changed along with the oil at each service, guess I'm a future iron cross customer.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:29 AM
HOGBOY57
Road Captain

problem with my radio on my 11 street glide just 3 months old. took it in for 1000 mile check. called to see if it was ready and was told that when out on test ride radio went out. this will be the first on this bike. my 09 had 3, my 06 had two. and by the sound of things its a well known problem. you would think harley would insist on getting this corrected. but what do i know.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Captian K
Stage I

I have a 2008 Road Glide, now on my 2nd stereo. First one the display went out after 25 months, dealer goodwill replaced in Aug 2010, now this one one the audio has stopped working. talked to Tony at Ironcross Audio and will send to them to fix. HD can kiss my $#%$, I will never spend another dime with HD. Called corporate and they wont even admit there is aproblem with HK stereos. Called dealer and cancelled my order for new 2012 Ultra Glide. I'll buy a BMW before I'll ever buy another Harley!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 PM
MichiganDave
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same problem here. 2008 Ultra Classic. Mine started acting up this spring and finally went out for good yesterday. I have been flipping this 3 way switch for 5 months and while riding into work yesterday lost the sound flipped the switch a couple of times and the sound came back for a minute or two and now a day later nothing. I have called and called my dealer for months and they tell me they would be more then happy to sell me a new or refurbished one. I called Harley customer service today and of course that went nowhere. Why hasn't this issue become a class action lawsuit. It is obvious that this is a defect in the radio.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:56 AM
weamdog
6th Gear

Harley Davidson, the only American company that will say thank you and F you in the same breath! Thanks again to Iron Cross for giving me my tunes back

Old 08-20-2011, 10:48 AM
CFDgrunt
Cruiser

Same problem here also. Been riding around for the last 5 months flipping that damn speaker switch. Took the bike to the dealer and they told me it was my hog tunes amp causing the problem. I had already disconnected the amp before i took the bike there to check that my self. I figured it was either the speaker switch or the radio. Anyhow the dealer disconnected my hog tunes and told that was the problem, then tried charging me $172.00. Well with a little bitching i got that down to $68.00, and when I pulled out of the dealer the radio cut out.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:07 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

BKS My radio is doing the same thing. Mine started acting up around Iowa, then all I had to listen to was my wife. Slow down watch that car Yak Yak Yak! LOL
They are ordering me a new radio.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:13 PM
rantana
1st Gear
Default Harmen Kardon Radio Problem

I am new to this HD Forum,

I have a 2009 HD Tri-Glide that has almost 20,000 miles.
As of last month my radio worked fine until I put a new front tire
on my bike.. now the display shows all is well, even shows CD Tracks
playing thru. I have no volume after about 5 seconds when I start my bike..
At Souix Falls HD they did a diagnostic test on it and they tell me I need
a new radio.. SERIOUSLY !!! Its a 1000 dollars for a new one!!

Anyone please if you have any other options that will possibly fix my radio
will be greatly appreciated.. I have seen some other posts with the same concern.. Just not sure where to begin to try and fix this issue.. personally I think HD should have a recall on them.. some friends of ours have had the same issues.. Thx.............

Figured it out.. turns out it is the speaker switch on the dash... bad connection... Its amazing that we paid $100 to have HD do a Diagnostics on it.. which they said I need a new radio... who is training these service techs anyways... or is it the easy way out for them....my husband knows more about the bike than they do...

Last edited by rantana; 09-21-2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Figured it out..

Quick Reply: Harmon Kardon Radio Problems