Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd cruise / 6th gear light issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:12 AM
Magos
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd cruise / 6th gear light issue

Last week I was riding home and when I got on the highway and shifted into 6th gear, my '6' gear green light didn't come on. Odd as it was, I then could not use cruise. It was turned on but wouldn't engage (red cruise light was on). I tried downshifting and then upshifting - no luck. Then the red 'key' light came on then my '6' gear green light came on and cruise would then engage.

I've tried cycling the ignition 4 times (no luck) and took it to the dealer as well. I had to leave Saturday after 3+ hours of diagnostics so they want me to bring it back. What do you guys think? I'm at a loss...

PS - This is BONE stock with only 2" Rush baffles (which have no bearing on this issue).

Old 08-18-2008, 06:22 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Intermittent thing. My light would come on after shifting a few times. Later in the day I stopped to gas up and started out and the bike died. Acts like the fuel pump took a dump. Had to tow back home 180 miles away. As far as the 6th gear light I cant find whats controlling it but my whole problem may be computer related.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Magos
Tourer

****! Really? I had ONE occasion where it bogged (as if cruise dis-engaged) but that was it. I've been riding it since - prolly 400 miles or so since I first noticed it. Please let me know what you come up with and I'll do the same.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Old 08-18-2008, 12:43 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that sounds wierd, I have had nothing like that on my 08.... good luck with it, let us know what they say....

Old 08-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Skulmn
Road Master

Originally Posted by Magos
Last week I was riding home and when I got on the highway and shifted into 6th gear, my '6' gear green light didn't come on. Odd as it was, I then could not use cruise. It was turned on but wouldn't engage (red cruise light was on). I tried downshifting and then upshifting - no luck. Then the red 'key' light came on then my '6' gear green light came on and cruise would then engage.

I've tried cycling the ignition 4 times (no luck) and took it to the dealer as well. I had to leave Saturday after 3+ hours of diagnostics so they want me to bring it back. What do you guys think? I'm at a loss...

PS - This is BONE stock with only 2" Rush baffles (which have no bearing on this issue).
You have a problem with your neutral switch. Harley is on its third revision of the switch. Seems like the failure occurs due to heat. Once the engine cools down the switch seems to work.

I had the same problem on my '07 and a new neutral switch cured the problem. Go to the dealer and insist on a new switch. Even if you had to pay, a new switch is $18.

Even though my bike is under warranty, for $18 I chose NOT to bring it to the dealer.

This is a five minute replacement.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:11 PM
JustLoafin
Cruiser

Skulmn,

Thanks for the info. This is the kind of stuff this forum is for!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:46 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

In my opinion I think you will find a faulty clutch switch is the problem. Take it to the dealer and let him put it on the computer.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Yatez004
Tourer

Theres multiple recalls about the stalling. Its on the fuel filter, many people have had the same problems with the Fork Lock. Bike shuts off, no cruise, no 6th light. Ide check your service records to see if you guys have had the fork lock recall & the newest fuel filter recall done and it most likely will cure your problems. And its no cost to the customer HD pays for it, or is supposed to, so if your dealer tells you it costs money there full of sh&t.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:23 AM
acftdr
Cruiser

The 6th gear indicator is illuminated when the bike speed and rpm match a preprogramed calculation by the engine computer. There is no 6th gear switch. You probably have something jacked up in the "speed circuit" with the computer. Can you read the DTCs? I don't have the procedure in front of me but you can read your trouble codes off the odometer display by pressing the reset button and ignition switch in a certain order.

Let us know the final outcome.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:35 AM
txcomp
Cruiser

Expanding on what acftdr said, Here is something I discovered by accident on my 07 Heritage. If you just slightly pull in the clutch lever when the bike is in 6th gear, the 6th gear light will go off. You don’t have to pull it in far but just far enough to create a mismatch between road speed and RPM.

I asked the service manager at our dealership about it and he agreed that is what will happen when you very lightly "slip" the clutch while in 6th gear.

Not sure if that's what happened to you yet but I’d imagine that the cruise depends on clutch being fully engaged if it works anything like cruise worked in my vehicles with standard transmissions. (the whole RPM/road speed thing) I could turn the cruise off (or make it so it wouldn’t turn on at all) if I lightly slipped the clutch on my Toyota pickup.

Quick Reply: Odd cruise / 6th gear light issue